Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: nbadraft.net; Mayo 5th, DeAndre Jordan 3rd

http://nbadraft.net/

Now they have O.J. Mayo at #9. I'm not a huge fan of Mayo, but they must really not like him. Donte Greene is now #3. He's been climbing up pretty high. Oh, and Blake Griffin is now #4. They've really gone out there this year.

9th!?! I haven't been blown away by his play so far at USC, but given the incredibly slow pace they play, he hasn't really gotten a chance to shine. His very obvious talent comes out at times though, and he's clearly one of the most talented and polished Guards to come into the college game in a long time. Put him on a team like the Suns and he could average at least 15+ in the NBA right now.
    I am a Greene fan, he's taken over the #4 spot for me. He'd be getting HUGE hype in an average year, his level of offensive skill combined with size/athleticism is rare. He's been much better as a freshman than Marvin Williams was(and he was selected over Paul/Deron). Not quite Carmelo, but I could see him being a Rashard Lewis type player in just a couple years given his polish and range.
    DeAndre Jordan I continue to be lukewarm on. Really, there is nothing that makes him a better propect than Thabeet. He hasn't shown any more skill at all, and he isn't any better physically (a little stronger, a few inches shorter). I can still see the potential to be a mid lotto pick, but the Dwight Howard comparison is just stupid. He looks 2-3 years away from stacking up to a rookie Howard, who was dominating at the NBA level at the same age. As I said earlier, a Bynum comparison makes sense, and the team drafting him will probably have to have similar patience. Once again, in an average year he would probably still have enough potential to be a safe bet for the top 5, but this year there is a whole group of guys with the same star potential but a much higher current skill level (ie lower level of risk), and there are also a wealth of center options.
    As for Griffin, the first time I saw him (when I described him as not standing out) he scored 8 vs Memphis. The next time, he scored 4 @ USC. 12 combined points compared to at least 15 in every other game he's played. He's got pretty much an ideal NBA PF body, so if he's able to keep up those 15/9 type numbers against good competition as the year goes on I could see him as a top 5 prospect. I'll take Arthur of Kansas over him for now though, at least until I actually witness some of his skills.
    Last edited by Manphibian420; 12-05-2007 at 08:17 PM.

I usually hit open layups

#1: I think Mayo is overrated. He's almost two years older than most freshmen.

#2: I really don't think Gordon is 6'4", I think he's more 6'2" or 6'3", which would put him in a Ben Gordon type of role in the NBA.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

At this point in the year the mock is not about accuracy, it's about getting attention. What better way to get your website hits than put a player that is a top 5 prospect and have him go late lottery in the draft.

Local High School Star

Now he's #10.

Beasley is 1st!!!!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cohnman15
    #1: I think Mayo is overrated. He's almost two years older than most freshmen.

#2: I really don't think Gordon is 6'4", I think he's more 6'2" or 6'3", which would put him in a Ben Gordon type of role in the NBA.
    He might be a Ben G. player to start off with, but he has way more upside then Ben and could be a much better all-around player in this league.

I think too that Mayo is overrated. How can he be the 1st pick when Beasley is on draft?!!

P.S. Derrick Rose and Eric Gordon are OK.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by jamal99
    Beasley is 1st!!!!!!
    Beasley's a headcase. I know you're a basketball player over in Serbia, but don't look at him as a role model. He may have more talent than guys like Rose and Gordon, but with them you don't have to worry about big suspensions and lockerroom cancers. Apparently you're a big. Have you watched Kevin Love? Try doing what that kid does.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by skan72
    He might be a Ben G. player to start off with, but he has way more upside then Ben and could be a much better all-around player in this league.
    Agreed; I think scoring-wise, Gordon could will eventually be putting up Paul Pierce-like numbers.

Good college starter

Kevin Love will be Mike Sweetney 2.0 in the NBA if he can't keep his weight down.

Banned

I think too that Mayo is overrated. How can he be the 1st pick when Beasley is on draft?!!

P.S. Derrick Rose and Eric Gordon are OK.
    I think Derrick Rose will be an unbelievable player in the L, barring anything drastic. He could be a fantastic point guard, and if he goes to Seattle like nbadraft.net says, then he'll get lots of burn at the point because none of the guys at the 1 in Emerald City are really starting points.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by skan72
    I think Derrick Rose will be an unbelievable player in the L, barring anything drastic. He could be a fantastic point guard, and if he goes to Seattle like nbadraft.net says, then he'll get lots of burn at the point because none of the guys at the 1 in Emerald City are really starting points.
    Agreed, but the Sonics have too many holes that even if we get a Rose-type guy, we'll still be flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by marny_navis
    Beasley's a headcase. I know you're a basketball player over in Serbia, but don't look at him as a role model. He may have more talent than guys like Rose and Gordon, but with them you don't have to worry about big suspensions and lockerroom cancers. Apparently you're a big. Have you watched Kevin Love? Try doing what that kid does.
    1) Beasley isn't my role model, he just looks like funny character.
    2) What are lockerroom cancers?
    3) What about Kevin Love?

Local High School Star

1) Beasley isn't my role model, he just looks like funny character.
    2) What are lockerroom cancers?
    3) What about Kevin Love?
    1) That's cool, just don't become a badass like him.
    2) People that screw up team chemistry and play for the 'I' not the 'We'.
    3) He seems like a pretty nice guy, and works his butt off every day, even though he's not one of the most athletic or talented players in the nation.