Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kyrie's take on Bill Simmons.

Alphapup's agenda is disgustingly obvious
    Give it a rest already

NBA Superstar

I think it depends upon who's saying what, how they're saying it, and their willingness to accept alternative viewpoints. I think there's a ton, a ton of things an outsider could pick up on from watching basketball for 30 years. That said, I truly do feel there are some things I experienced while playing basketball that I may have otherwise never picked up on had I merely been an outside observer. I'm not sure it's enough for me to automatically discredit anyone who did not play the game though.

That said, it can be a little frustrating sometimes to hear folks I know personally brooding over their favorite basketball team and talking as if they have some non-existent deep understanding of the game just because they've been watching a lot of Sportscenter lately. Obviously, I don't think that's the case with Simmons though.

May I ask, what was the piece to which Irving objected? I sometimes think analysts can rub a lot of folks the wrong way because they're paid to be certain about what they're saying. There's not a lot of room for, "I could be wrong..." It often always seems to be, "This is how it is!" and if that type of approach is coming from someone without a basketball playing background, I think it makes them an easy target.

That said, I think one's knowledge should be judged on a case by case basis. For instance, I think there's a vast difference between Skip Bayless and Bill Simmons, even if neither has an extensive basketball playing background.

simmons is generally in love with kyrie, what sparked the tweet?

Quote Originally Posted by bballer
    simmons has watched more NBA games that Kyrie could ever dream of playing in.

gtfo Dukie *******

so has Jack Nicholsen...

- Kyrie has played Basketball at nearly all top shelf levels....again I reephasize te playing part....

- He has playedand has worked to aquire his skillset...he understands the game far more then someone who doesn't have the skill nor has played basketball at any leel compared to Kyrie

Kyrie knows what works...Simmons does not.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    - Not in the context you are trying use....Knowledge of the game to do what...Know how to coach?....Scout Players?.....

- You need ability to play basketball at many levels....you need to play basketball at many levels and get a complete understanding of how it's played...especially at the Pro Level.
    This. Why do you think the lion's share of coaches have played in the pros?

[LIST][*] You don't get respect by talking about stuff you've never done in the sports world. Guys like Van Gundy don't get respect because frankly, how can you call out your players for not being active and energetic when you yourself are a lazy slob?
    [*] Experience is a better teacher than anything. A coach that has played AND studied the game is bound to be better than just someone who has studied the game all things considered.
    [*] Would you let a 450 lb smoker with poor hygeine train you? I think not.[/LIST]

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Alphapup's agenda is disgustingly obvious
    Give it a rest already

WTF?.......what agenda......some guy who never picked up a basketball in his life knows more about basketball then Pro Players??

go away kid..

doesn't have anything to do with anything, but it's funny that kyrie has a link to his twitter page on his twitter page

WTF?.......what agenda......some guy who never picked up a basketball in his life knows more about basketball then Pro Players??

go away kid..
    Please, son, don't act like you're fooling anyone here.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    This. Why do you think the lion's share of coaches have played in the pros?

[LIST][*] You don't get respect by talking about stuff you've never done in the sports world. Guys like Van Gundy don't get respect because frankly, how can you call out your players for not being active and energetic when you yourself are a lazy slob?
    [*] Experience is a better teacher than anything. A coach that has played AND studied the game is bound to be better than just someone who has studied the game all things considered.
    [*] Would you let a 450 lb smoker with poor hygeine train you? I think not.[/LIST]

- Van Gundy has been around basketbal his whole life...literally.....

- ...van Gundy actually played D3 basketball....

- Van Gundy's Father was a coach...Van Gundy has bee around basketball/coaching his entire life...and he has been playing basketball at different levels his entire life...

- Of course he doesn't have the talent to be a Pro...but he aquired the necassary knowledge throuh a Lifetime of expierience...and has played /aquired skill ( I seen his dribbling shooting videos) to understand the game.

- Bill Simmons has not...not even 1/90th the baqsketball knowledge of stan van gundy.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Please, son, don't act like you're fooling anyone here.

seriously ...you done interneted yourself retarded...log off and go outside..

7/11/14 We Witness NattyPButter's Avatar

No one knows who Kyrie was talking about. At the same time Skip Bayless was making tweets also.

Quote Originally Posted by bballer
    simmons has watched more NBA games that Kyrie could ever dream of playing in.

gtfo Dukie *******
    I'll take sides with the guy making millions to play the game he loves over the guy who has an awkward feud with Magic.

seriously ...you done interneted yourself retarded...log off and go outside..

Earned not given

Playing the game and having experience there while also having experience in studying and coaching gives you the full amount of "expert" analysis in my opinion. There are just certain things that you look for when you've played with the best as well as watched the best. When I watch basketball I can actually tell who is good and who is just athletic because I've watched for a while and I've played bball (not elite level, admittedly.)

- Van Gundy has been around basketbal his whole life...literally.....

- ...van Gundy actually played D3 basketball....

- Van Gundy's Father was a coach...Van Gundy has bee around basketball/coaching his entire life...and he has been playing basketball at different levels his entire life...

- Of course he doesn't have the talent to be a Pro...but he aquired the necassary knowledge throuh a Lifetime of expierience...and has played /aquired skill ( I seen his dribbling shooting videos) to understand the game.

- Bill Simmons has not...not even 1/90th the baqsketball knowledge of stan van gundy.

I made a bad comparison, but you went off on a tangent determined not to get my point.

In sports, high level athletes respect those THAT HAVE DONE IT. It holds true in every sport. And it is logical. Great players want to be coached by former great players, not egg heads.