Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Protein Powder....which brand do you use?

optimum nutrition gold standard whey is the measuring stick in today's whey protein standards.

Decent playground baller

I eat lots of chocolate chip cookies. My results aren't as good but my life is much much better

National High School Star therammingman's Avatar

Have any of you guys purchased Musclepharm's Arnold Iron Whey?

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid

I'll agree there that at the end of the day 1gr of protein = 1 gr of any other protein in the world. However rate of absorption is a very significant contributor to certain goals. There are ones with an anabolic rate of 2 hours compared to ones that have an anabolic rate up to 10 hours. This affect everything from muscle building to weight management. Also there are proteins that digest withing minutes compared to some that digest after an hour.
    Most WPI's are produced in the same factories.

Some digest within minutes compared to a couple of hours? Once again, it doesn't matter, as long as you get it in your body. If you want a slower absorbing protein, you get casien and have it before you sleep. Otherwise, any cheap WPI is fine, as long as it is of a high % of protein.

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    optimum nutrition gold standard whey is the measuring stick in today's whey protein standards.
    No, it isn't. There are protein brands with higher concentrations of protein in them.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Most WPI's are produced in the same factories.
    I'm confused. Wasn't this conversation initiated with I'm still ballin'? Well, we got this alt figured out.
    I'm familiar with WPI's being in manufactured in the same factories. We make for a couple of brands. In regards to HOW it's manufactured, there are variances from brand to brand. For example:
    Take brand X vs brand Y. Brand X may put glutamine peptides in their WPI. Why? Because it shows up as part of the protein ratio. Do we need it? No. They put it in because it is a source of cheaper material to bring down costs.
    I can go on and on about how things are manufactured and label tricks, but I guess your the expert and it's all the same.....

Some digest within minutes compared to a couple of hours? Once again, it doesn't matter, as long as you get it in your body. If you want a slower absorbing protein, you get casien and have it before you sleep. Otherwise, any cheap WPI is fine, as long as it is of a high % of protein.
    My comment is not about comparing isolates to isolates, I was referring protein to protein. For example Gold Standard is a blend vs Iso-100, it will absorb at different rates. A blend may take hours to fully digest against a Hydrolyzed which takes minutes when you go gram per gram. A longer digesting protein is better for weight loss and anabolic rate. But again, your the expert..Would you like a job? Since apparently all proteins are the same maybe you can negotiate costs so we can charge a cheaper rate....

Fresh Kid Turned Rotten Lamar Doom's Avatar

I've never used protein powder. I do the protein and greens for breakfast with an assortment of vitamins and the EAS thingy after my workout. Chicken and broccoli is my primary meal. I f*ck with almonds or slices of turkey if I need a snack. I'm really trying to avoid getting bulky muscles, I like a leaner frame, I understand protein is important for muscle gain and weight loss but I assumed regular protein powder use was more geared towards gaining muscle. Should I switch it up? I lost about 30 pounds in 6 months so I figure I'm doing something right but definitely plateaued a bit lately.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I'm using Dymatize Elite Gourmet right now. I'm not too particular really as long as it mixes easily since I just use shaker bottles.

Love the Cho-PB

Banned

What in protein powder is going to do this if you don't mind me asking?
    Unnatural muscle hypertrophy/hyperplasia-->cell cycle dysfunction over a period-->cancer. it's a relatively new trend so data on adverse effects is still in its early stages but in 10-20 years we will see a huge wave of rhambdomyosarcomas and possibly osteosarcomas as use of these mixes becomes even more rampant.
    Last edited by masonanddixon; 07-10-2014 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Doom

I've never used protein powder. I do the protein and greens for breakfast with an assortment of vitamins and the EAS thingy after my workout. Chicken and broccoli is my primary meal. I f*ck with almonds or slices of turkey if I need a snack. I'm really trying to avoid getting bulky muscles, I like a leaner frame, I understand protein is important for muscle gain and weight loss but I assumed regular protein powder use was more geared towards gaining muscle. Should I switch it up? I lost about 30 pounds in 6 months so I figure I'm doing something right but definitely plateaued a bit lately.
    Check PM box. Hope that helps

Fresh Kid Turned Rotten Lamar Doom's Avatar

Check PM box. Hope that helps
    It's a picture of your hard dick. I guess that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by masonanddixon
    LMAO, you'll have a rhambdomyosarcoma by 50. Have fun.

Spell the disease right if you're going to attempt sounding smart. You've spelled it wrong every single post you've made.

Not to mention that's quite a rare disease. whey protein is simply a mixture of amino acids, which are building blocks for protein. It's very good for boosting your protein intake, it just shouldn't be used as a primary or only protein source. And protein powder does not cause "unnatural muscle hypertrophy or hyperplasia" that's what anabolic steroids do you are literally full of it. Quit while you're behind.
    Last edited by oarabbus; 07-10-2014 at 02:26 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Spell the disease right if you're going to attempt sounding smart. You've spelled it wrong every single post you've made.

Not to mention that's quite a rare disease. whey protein is simply a mixture of amino acids, which are building blocks for protein. It's very good for boosting your protein intake, it just shouldn't be used as a primary or only protein source. And protein powder does not cause "unnatural muscle hypertrophy or hyperplasia" that's what anabolic steroids do you are literally full of it. Quit while you're behind.
    Bad keyboard.

I don't give a shit whether you believe me or not. I'm a 1st yr doctor and know quite a lot more about the subject than do you.

And yes it is unnatural. There's people with giant biceps and body transformations from these supplements, who likely cannot run 2 laps around a tiny park.
    It will happen. At least when the first wave hits you'll be able to remember the guy who told you it would happen.

There's other shit too like milk-alkali and calcium homeostasis disruption that will occur, but rhabdomyosarcoma and osteosarcomas are the inevitable outcomes.
    Last edited by masonanddixon; 07-10-2014 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by masonanddixon
    Bad keyboard.

I don't give a shit whether you believe me or not. I'm a 1st yr doctor and know quite a lot more about the subject than do you.

And yes it is unnatural. There's people with giant biceps and body transformations from these supplements, who likely cannot run 2 laps around a tiny park.
    It will happen. At least when the first wave hits you'll be able to remember the guy who told you it would happen.

There's other shit too like milk-alkali and calcium homeostasis disruption that will occur, but rhabdomyosarcoma and osteosarcomas are the inevitable outcomes.

Are you a first year doctor or a first year medical student? Regardless, please, don't be so pretentious. I have a Biomedical Engineering background and know more than a few premeds (now med students) who couldn't cut it in that major. Cancer is far more complex than "hypertrophy->cell cycle dysfunction->cancer". YEah... thats true... but you conveniently left out how 'cell cycle dysfunction' encompasses dozens of different "failure types" which are the result of the interaction of hundreds if not thousands of genes and their specific expression. The PhDs working on cancer mechanisms know a hell of a lot more about cancer than 99.9999% of doctors, and the PhDs don't know much yet.

Oh and you provided absolutely no sources backing up your claim that hypertrophy somehow disrupts the cell cycle. If you really know so much more than me and everyone else provide some sources. I'm not here to pick a fight, I'm here to dispute statements that I have not heard any evidence for.

There are people with giant biceps and body transformations from anabolic steroid use, and it's well documented that steroids cause extreme, unnatural muscle growth. There really isn't much of a difference whether you eat 20g of protein in cheese, or drink 20g of protein in milk, or 20g of protein powder with regards to muscle hypertrophy.

Are you trying to argue that protein powder causes a muscle buliding effect on the same level as steroids? And even if you aren't, tell me, why didn't Arnold or his buddies get rhabdomyosarcoma, considering steroid use was RAMPANT amongst bodybuilders in the 70s/80s?

Again, if you would back up your statements with some evidence, hell even a prospective study, I'm all ears.
    Last edited by oarabbus; 07-10-2014 at 03:16 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Are you a first year doctor or a first year medical student? Regardless, please, don't be so pretentious. I have a Biomedical Engineering background and know more than a few premeds (now med students) who couldn't cut it in that major. Cancer is far more complex than "hypertrophy->cell cycle dysfunction->cancer". YEah... thats true... but you conveniently left out how 'cell cycle dysfunction' encompasses dozens of different "failure types" which are the result of the interaction of hundreds if not thousands of genes and their specific expression. The PhDs working on cancer mechanisms know a hell of a lot more about cancer than 99.9999% of doctors, and the PhDs don't know much yet.

Oh and you provided absolutely no sources backing up your claim that hypertrophy somehow disrupts the cell cycle. If you really know so much more than me and everyone else provide some sources. I'm not here to pick a fight, I'm here to dispute statements that I have not heard any evidence for.

There are people with giant biceps and body transformations from anabolic steroid use, and it's well documented that steroids cause extreme, unnatural muscle growth. There really isn't much of a difference whether you eat 20g of protein in cheese, or drink 20g of protein in milk, or 20g of protein powder with regards to muscle hypertrophy.

Are you trying to argue that protein powder causes a muscle buliding effect on the same level as steroids? And even if you aren't, tell me, why didn't Arnold or his buddies get rhabdomyosarcoma, considering steroid use was RAMPANT amongst bodybuilders in the 70s/80s?

Again, if you would back up your statements with some evidence, hell even a prospective study, I'm all ears.
    First year doctor on a rad onc training pathway.