I don't get picked last at the park anymore Grafbag's Avatar

Default How do you guys measure height?

I just wanna know whether you measure yourselves with shoes on or barefoot. In Australia, if you ask someone how tall they are, the answer will always come barefoot as *M/**cm.
    I'm 1.84m At the moment (Just over 6"0) barefoot, but in shoes I'm 1.87 (Just under 6"2). So in America, which would I say when asked about it?

Also, I'm 15, turning 16 in a couple of months and was wondering how much you older guys grew after that age. Any input's appreciated.

Default Re: How do you guys measure height?

when i was 15 i was about 6 1 or 6 2 around that. im 19 now and around 6 4-6 5. i just tell everyone im 6'5"

Saw a basketball once Jxgator33's Avatar

Most american ball players (At least on the AAU circuit) take their height with shoes and roudn up

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Jxgator33
    Most american ball players (At least on the AAU circuit) take their height with shoes and roudn up
    Ha, I do believe that's true. As a normal human being, I don't even hesitate to tell others I'm only 6'3'' (or 6'2'' and three quarters to be exact). Yet, as a basketball player, I was always listed at 6'4''. And, this isn't confirmed, but I feel like NBA heights are "with shoes" listings as well. I could be wrong. I just feel like I read these Draft Combine workout results and see players checking in at a much lower height than the are normally listed.

Well I measure height based on what your barefoot height is... but the NBA does it in shoes. There really aren't that many 7 footers around... which is why you always get "The Lakers have so much size blah blah..." because they have two legit 7 footers with no shoes. Gasol is more like 7'2 in shoes and Bynum is probably 7'1. .. other so called 7 footers are more like 6'10 1/2/6'11.

I am 5'10 3/4 without shoes so I just say I'm 5'11. Close enough. I would surely be listed at 6' in any level of basketball that measures height tho (because in shoes I'm 6').

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Well the only time I ever get measured these days is at the doctors office and there it's in socks.

For the NBA they do it barefoot I think and then add like 5 inches. Lol.

Saw a basketball once

Im 177cm barefooted and I just turned 16. Im Singaporean and I was wondering at what age did u guys stop growing?

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator
    Im 177cm barefooted and I just turned 16. Im Singaporean and I was wondering at what age did u guys stop growing?
    Seemed like right around 17-18 for me. I might have grown a 1/16 of an inch in between 18 and 21.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    Well the only time I ever get measured these days is at the doctors office and there it's in socks.

For the NBA they do it barefoot I think and then add like 5 inches. Lol.
    You know, I was kind of holding out on the doctors' office, waiting to see how they would handle height measurements, assuming as the professionals that they are, they'd follow a specific procedure and set the standard of how height is supposed to be measured. Alas, I remember them being dismissive when I suggested removing my shoes for the height check and any clothes for the weight check. I came in about two inches taller and 20 pounds heavier than at any other point of my life. I kind of got the feeling they didn't care as much about my height as I did.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    You know, I was kind of holding out on the doctors' office, waiting to see how they would handle height measurements, assuming as the professionals that they are, they'd follow a specific procedure and set the standard of how height is supposed to be measured. Alas, I remember them being dismissive when I suggested removing my shoes for the height check and any clothes for the weight check. I came in about two inches taller and 20 pounds heavier than at any other point of my life. I kind of got the feeling they didn't care as much about my height as I did.
    Haha. Wow!

That's odd cause height and weight can be extremely important when talking about doses and such. That's strange.