Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WE MISS U CHALMERS :( JerrySteakhouse's Avatar

Default Getting shoulder surgery...

Dislocated my right shoulder 3 times (subluxation once), now finally getting surgery mid January... Last dislocation was back in mid August, missed the past two seasons because of the injury and I hear recovery is 6-8 months.. Anyone been through this? I hear its pretty common from people I talk to... Hopefully my shoulder will be good as new after surgery/rehab...

Getting the knees checked out when I'm back in Toronto too, gonna shut it down and come back next season strong...

#JSH

Serious playground baller methusala's Avatar

Default Re: Getting shoulder surgery...

Ration the meds. You'll want a little extra for when you start rehabbing and gaining ROM. Scar tissue can be a mother

I have a torn labrum, I hear its day surgery but yeah gonna have the meds...

Quote Originally Posted by jaydacris
    good luck with recovery

give 110% effort/dedication when rehabbing, that will determine how well you come back from the injury!
    Thanks, already started some pre-op workouts to help ease post surgery recovery.

Serious playground baller methusala's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySteakhouse
    I have a torn labrum, I hear its day surgery but yeah gonna have the meds...
    It is, you'll be in and out.

When they say to keep in the sling in the first few weeks/days after, LISTEN TO THEM. I tried being a tough guy so I could find a comfortable way to sleep, no. Just no.

Quote Originally Posted by methusala
    It is, you'll be in and out.

When they say to keep in the sling in the first few weeks/days after, LISTEN TO THEM. I tried being a tough guy so I could find a comfortable way to sleep, no. Just no.
    Yeah I dislocated my shoulder 3 times, I know the feeling... I found myself removing the sling a lot for work but this time I won't, I need to have a solid recovery...

I'm also planning to get an MRI on my knees, they been fcked up since my high school days... Trying to shut it down and get these surgeries so when I will be ready for next season.

send me some painkillers when it's all over

Yeah no problem fam

It's a pretty standard surgery and you'll get some decent painkillers at the end.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

don't pull an anthony bennett and gain 20lbs when you are decommissioned.

Dunking on everybody in the park CardiacKemba's Avatar

I surprisingly was told not to do any particular rehab even when I started getting good range of movement back, which was different to what I had heard from others who were seeing physios regularly during their early stages. I had dislocated my shoulder upwards of 10 times prior to surgery. The approach from my doctor was no physical contact sports for 6 months, but I could start normal exercise anytime after about 6 weeks and when pain wasn't a major hinderance (including strength work if it were my own choosing). I can say that my shoulder now actually feels stronger and more stable than my non-surgical shoulder! Range and flexibility are now completely fine also.

Similarly to when you actually dislocate it, there are exercises and such to strengthen the muslces around it, but the main point you should focus on is TIME. Shoulders more than anything need time to recover. Be patient. It's definitely worth it in the long run.

Also I did happen to throw on about 15kgs (over 30 lbs) of fat during my time off and letting my diet slip! Although once I did return to the gym and the court I was more motivated than ever and after about 9 months (from the surgery date) I was actually in the best shape athleticially I had ever been!
    Last edited by CardiacKemba; 11-18-2013 at 09:45 PM.

This Friday is my surgery day... Kinda nervous for it but I think I did a solid job rebuilding my shoulder muscles for my pre-op workouts, so hopefully recovery won't be so bad... Not looking forward to being out of the gym though, don't know how I'm going to stay sane...

I hear some say its 9-12 months and others say 6-8 months... Jeez, long way to go...

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySteakhouse
    This Friday is my surgery day... Kinda nervous for it but I think I did a solid job rebuilding my shoulder muscles for my pre-op workouts, so hopefully recovery won't be so bad... Not looking forward to being out of the gym though, don't know how I'm going to stay sane...

I hear some say its 9-12 months and others say 6-8 months... Jeez, long way to go...
    I'm getting arthroscopic surgery for a torn labrum in February, and I don't know how I'm going to stay sane during recovery. Swimming and the gym are the only reasons I haven't lost my mind

Actually, op, what are the pre-op workouts you've been doing?

How did you dislocate?