Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    An Icon Forever

Default Kobe Bryant on Game 7 in 2006 Phoenix Series

I don't know if this has already been posted are not:

In the spring of 2006, did you tank the second half of Game 7 of the first-round series against the Phoenix Suns?

"People who say that are stupid," Bryant said. "That's just stupid."

It has been the most renowned on-court controversy of his career. For four years it has trailed him and nagged him like a scrap of toilet paper dancing under his high-tops.

So perhaps it should be no surprise that, in a rare interview about the painful subject Saturday, Bryant attacked it like it was Kevin Durant and plowed over it like it was Wesley Matthews.

"It's outlandish, the amount of irresponsibility people have, throwing out statements like that," he said.

The question is news again because on Monday, the Lakers begin a Western Conference finals series against the Suns. The issue is topical again because last week, folks accused LeBron James of sabotaging the Cleveland Cavaliers in a halfhearted effort in Game 5 of their losing series against the Boston Celtics.

Many thought Bryant did the same thing four years ago in the eighth-seeded Lakers showdown game against the top-seeded Suns.

Attempting to finish one of the greatest upsets in Laker history in Game 7, Bryant scored 23 points in the first half, yet the Lakers trailed 60-45. It was clear then that Bryant just didn't have enough help. He was burdened with Kwame Brown's slowness, Smush Parker's foolishness, and other pieces that just didn't fit.

In the second half, a frustrated Bryant seemingly made this point when he stopped shooting and, some say, stopped playing. He took only three shots in the half, scored but one point, and the Lakers lost the game, 121-90.

I was there. I thought it was Bryant making a statement. I don't think he purposely tried to lose, but I thought he was sending a message to the front office to clean up this mess.

"It was selfish, it was silly," I wrote.

Turns out, I was being kind. Many others around the league openly accused him of openly tanking the game, their chorus led by TNT's Charles Barkley, who called Bryant selfish and ranted enough that Bryant later appeared on the TNT show to defend himself.

Four years later, even after leading the Lakers to a Shaq-less title, Bryant continues to be haunted by the perception that Barkley was right.

"Barkley was stupid, he didn't watch the game, lots of people who were critical of me didn't even watch the game," Bryant said.

So what happened?

"To get back in the game, we needed somebody else to start making shots," Bryant said. "I was just trying to get the other guys going, turn the momentum around."

It didn't work. The Lakers scored four baskets in the first eight minutes of the third quarter, trailed by 22, and the game was over.

'"I really tried to help everyone else, it just never happened, we missed shots, they got run-outs, three, three, three, and all of the sudden, the game was out of reach," Bryant said. "I had been successful doing that before, other guys start making shots, the energy picks up, we get back in the game. But nobody saw those games."

So what about the idea that he was making a statement? And that maybe that statement worked? Because of that loss, and the following year's first-round loss to Phoenix, the Lakers eventually rid themselves of Parker and Brown, and acquired Derek Fisher and Pau Gasol.

"Hell, no," he said, shaking his head in amazement. "That's not my thought process. I don't think like that. I think about one thing and one thing only, and that's kicking butt."

Bryant shook his head in apparent amazement.

"If I'm going to send a message to the front office, I'm going to do it by going up there and raising hell," he said. "There is no way I'm going to be doing it on the court, losing a game. That's not who I am."
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...00,full.column

Default Re: Kobe Bryant on Game 7 in 2006 Phoenix Series

Thanks for this. I knew Kobe didn't quit in that second half like some people have been saying...I watched the entire game, and he could do NOTHING about the Suns scoring at will (they lost the previous game when Kobe dropped 50 iirc).

CeoTypeDoe619
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

What do you expect 23 points in first half and still down by 15. Phoenix was just scoring WAY to much. Phil told Kobe got to get team involved cant beat phoenix by scoring 50 60 points. To bad Kwame brown went 1-9 missing 2 foot hooks just at half time.

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    Thanks for this. I knew Kobe didn't quit in that second half like some people have been saying...I watched the entire game, and he could do NOTHING about the Suns scoring at will (they lost the previous game when Kobe dropped 50 iirc).
    So because he SAYS he didn't quit he didn't quit? Do you really think he would own up to it? Guess what? OJ SAYS he didn't kill his wife! At any rate, I'm not going to rehash this because it's been discussed many, many times. I'll just say that to those of us who watched the game (oh, and it wasn't about JUST his scoring, it was about him hanging out at the perimeter swinging the ball the ENTIRE half, not penetrating, not screening, not slashing, etc.) it was clear.

His fanboys will defend him to the day they die (all while crucifying LeBron of course), but even HONEST Laker/Kobe fans I've seen have said something wasw up.

Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan cotdt's Avatar

Kobe Bryant is my hero. I've always known, and believed in him.

NBA lottery pick

Kobe is going to murder the Suns. Lakers in 4.

CeoTypeDoe619
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
    So because he SAYS he didn't quit he didn't quit? Do you really think he would own up to it? Guess what? OJ SAYS he didn't kill his wife! At any rate, I'm not going to rehash this because it's been discussed many, many times. I'll just say that to those of us who watched the game (oh, and it wasn't about JUST his scoring, it was about him hanging out at the perimeter swinging the ball the ENTIRE half, not penetrating, not screening, not slashing, etc.) it was clear.

His fanboys will defend him to the day they die (all while crucifying LeBron of course), but even HONEST Laker/Kobe fans I've seen have said something wasw up.
    Lol. I Think this guy stays on this board day n night waiting for Kobe threads.

Amazing how skillful the Lakers fans are at typing replies using only one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
    It's not just because HE said it. I've always contended him 'tanking' this game was a pure myth. Phil asked Kobe to stop shooting the ball and start get his teammates INVOLVED. While I do agree ONE shot in the second half was ridiculous, there was no way LA was gonna win anyway. Their defense that series was the reason they blew that 3-1 series lead. I don't know what 'fanboys' you were referring to, but I haven't crucified LeBron at all really. Did he play sheepish and shady during game 5? Yes, but I don't think he QUIT per se (similar to Kobe in 2006 except it was ALREADY a blowout. The Cavs/Boston series was close during the last few minutes of game 6.)

If you want to get others involved, you don't give them the ball and get out of their way. You make yourself a threat to the defense, where they focus on you, and then you create for others and make the game easier. We have seen that version of Kobe before, where a balanced attack leads to easy baskets. Kobe's idea that he was just trying to help others by getting out of their way and not doing anything to make himself a threat is laughable, especially to anybody who says he has the highest ball IQ in the game.

Decent college freshman BFRESH44's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    If you want to get others involved, you don't give them the ball and get out of their way. You make yourself a threat to the defense, where they focus on you, and then you create for others and make the game easier. We have seen that version of Kobe before, where a balanced attack leads to easy baskets. Kobe's idea that he was just trying to help others by getting out of their way and not doing anything to make himself a threat is laughable, especially to anybody who says he has the highest ball IQ in the game.
    Fantastic reply.

I'll never get what people want. Bryant scored 50 in game 6, they lost and everybody called him a hog. The media, coach jackson and fans told him to pass more. He did it in game 7, they still lost and everyone says he choked and tanked the game.

Nothing will ever be good enough... smh...

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    Coach Jackson specifically told him to pass the ball. The plan was to give Smush the ball and attack Nash. They tried it, it had no affect, the suns started hitting easy buckets and threes very quickly and then the game was completely out of reach. There was nothing Kobe could've done to get them back in the game.

I rule the local playground

Haters gonna hate though. aint nothing new. i see this Kobe hater showing his b1tchassness in this thread. Your panties are showing b.

in Kobe we trust.

Very good NBA starter

haters should be flooding this thread shortly to call him a liar and say he wanted to lose that playoff series on purpose..

Local High School Star devin112's Avatar

i'm so surprised, i really thought he was going to be honest and tell the truth....

haha yeah right what did ya'll expect?

if u buy that shit...i don't know what to tell you. if it was only one quarter of him being tuned out, then you can make an argument, but it was the entire second half.

let's say u buy his crap, he was trying to do other things besides scoring right? how many boards, assists, steals and blocks did he get that game?

4 boards 1 assist 0 steals 1 block