Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Good college starter LakersDynasty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clipps
    The Clippers were already a good team that didn't need to improve. Thomas isn't the reason why the Clippers suck. The reason is Mike Dunleavy and his BS matchup game. Why don't you watch a Clipper game and actually see why they are not doing so well.
    I've been to 3 Clipper games this season (Philly, Lakers, Miami) and only missed 2-3 games so far. The reason they aren't doing good is because their offense is terrible, they just give the ball to Cassell and Mobley and they go 1 on 1 and jack up perimeter shots, there's no ball movement on that team. Defense is solid just like last year but their offense is painful to watch. Maggette comes in, drives and gets some FT attempts and gives the team a spark off the bench only to be put back on the bench so Ross the elite defensive player can come in and get 30 minutes a game even when they are not playing teams with good perimeter players, I just don't get it. And yes the Tim Thomas signing was horrible, hate to tell you I told you so but the guy is notorious for being a contract year whore, was like that in Milwaukee, same way in PHX, he gets his contract and turns back into a lazy bum, how hard is that to predict?

Other than the coach?

EB looks like KVH out there.

Kaman is playing like he's worth 52 cents.

The Clippers' best performing player is their sixthman. That alone lets you know that the coach doesn't get it.

TT is taking a vacation.

Sam Cassell is a year older

Quinton Ross is an overrated defender

James Singleton should be playing but isn't.

I'm sure it's not completely TT's fault that the Clippers suck. If you watch the team, the whole damn team looks like piss. The only ones that atleast look like they play correctly are Maggette, Mobley and Livingston.

Come on, Greg Oden, please save us. Bring Marcus Williams with you.

Quote Originally Posted by LakersDynasty
    I've been to 3 Clipper games this season (Philly, Lakers, Miami) and only missed 2-3 games so far. The reason they aren't doing good is because their offense is terrible, they just give the ball to Cassell and Mobley and they go 1 on 1 and jack up perimeter shots, there's no ball movement on that team. Defense is solid just like last year but their offense is painful to watch. Maggette comes in, drives and gets some FT attempts and gives the team a spark off the bench only to be put back on the bench so Ross the elite defensive player can come in and get 30 minutes a game even when they are not playing teams with good perimeter players, I just don't get it. And yes the Tim Thomas signing was horrible, hate to tell you I told you so but the guy is notorious for being a contract year whore, was like that in Milwaukee, same way in PHX, he gets his contract and turns back into a lazy bum, how hard is that to predict?
    A lot of that is the coach trying to go with his matchups. He throws a weird matchup(EB, Thomas, Livingston, Cassell, Mobley, or Kaman, brand, Thomas, Maggette, Livingston, or whatever), and tells them to take an advantage. So you have 4 players standing around and one player trying to expose the defense, which works when you have an offense going, players are cutting, setting picks, etc. but that doesn't work when 4 players stand around and 1 player goes one on 5. The Clippers haven't been going to their bread and butter play of a pick n roll between Cassell/Livingston and Brand, setting him up with the open jumper which was money last year. It would still be money this year, but he's afraid to take it. He's been pump faking, hesitating, passing it back out when he should have passed it. I'll admit that I wasn't that happy about TT either, I just tried to be optimistic about it. But he's not the main problem. I don't know about you, but I think Ross is a very overrated defender, which is another problem with Dunleavy. He is so in love with Ross, at the same time, obviously has problems with maggette. That's why you have Ross over Maggette in the first place. Ross is the one that starts because of his "bruce Bowen like" defense, but on offense, he can't do anything. And Ross really isn't that great a defender that we like to say he is. his defensive assignments, FOR SOME REASON some how have season high games against him. I remember(I'm sure you remember as well), when Ross would get raved on how great he was at defense, then Kobe kills him, but when Shaun Livingston, the "inexperienced" defender compared to Ross packs Kobe twice.

I'm sure coaches on other teams are baffled on Ross starting over Maggette. I'm sure as hell am. Every time Maggette plays, he shows why he should be starter, and when I see Ross play, he shows why he should be on the bench playing a max of 20 minutes.

Dunleavy needs to cool it with the f'd up matchups and start drawing up an offense for the team to run.

Da Bulls! Da Bears! DieHardBullsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geeWiz15
    what the hell is going on? is Tim Thomas really THAT awful? is he like actually making the rest of the team worse? ... I dont understand how this isn't a top NBA team. what do they lack? besides a coach.. but that didn't stop them last year.

Its early.....thats almost saying my Bulls suck....if they are playing this way at all-star break then you should be worried!

Good college starter LakersDynasty's Avatar

^^^^I agree with what you said, basically why I believe they are not doing good. Livingston is a better defender than Ross, when Ross got the starting job last year towards the end of the season and in the playoffs I figured it would be a temporary thing until Corey fully recovers from his injury, and in the Nuggets series I thought it was because of Melo that Ross got the starting job, but now we're 18 games into the season and it still hasn't changed. That's not the only thing holding them back though, they need more ball movement and less 1 on 1 isolation plays, which we already agreed on.

That's what I'm saying. If the clippers play like this by all-star break, I hope they tank and draft Greg Oden. At least get SOMETHING in return for this crap season.

LAKER FAN FOR LIFE lovethetriangle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmoud
    I was contemplating if any team would be stupid enough to give him a huge deal to "reward" him, and I thought, "no, surely no team is that foolhardy." Then it appeared Phoenix would in fact be that stupid, but somehow, the Clippers took the fall for them instead. Looks like the Clippers will always find a way to be, well, the Clippers. Giving Thomas a deal longer than a year or two was insanity at its finest.

Exactly what I thought! Its the Jerome James classic!!!

The Clips management will always be ****!

It's ironic, Clipps, that you blame Q. Ross for Parker going off when this was the one game of the year where our supposed "best player" (please tell me you don't actaully believe that) started in the place of Ross... Hmm...

The idea that signing Tim Thomas hurt the team is absurd. TT is just a role player, and a good one. We didn't sign him to be a superstar.

Clippers are losing because Brand isn't the same player as last year and neither is Cassell. Kaman and Livingston haven't stepped up to fill that vaccuum.

I don't like Dunleavy's micromanaging, 1v1 offense either but we managed to win with it last year.

Banned

James Singleton should be playing but isn't.
    word! that's the type of guy the Wizards could use as our first forward off the bench. if you guys are going to waste him trade him here. was he second round pick? then that's where I want my MLE going. I like Singleton. when Maggs was injured last year he was getting a double double like every game.

I usually hit open layups LakersRuleTheNBA's Avatar

That's what I'm saying. If the clippers play like this by all-star break, I hope they tank and draft Greg Oden.

People have to remember. We're talking about the Clippers here. They're a jinxed franchise. Whoever thought they could be a good team is kidding themsevles. They're not tanking, they're just bad.

Kaman playing like trash. (He already got his money)

Brand playing like a scrub.

Cassell playing like an old man. Well he's an old man.

I always liked Q, but what;s going on? He's soft this year with NO D!

Who else?

Last year the Clippers had their best record in franchise history, yet to be identical to the Lakers season. Clippers will have a good season once in a while, but that;s it.

Clippers needs a good season once in awhile to bring in new bandwagon fans, sell some tickets. Than lose again..

I guess it aint cool to wear Clippers gear anymore, back on the Lakers bandwagon. Like all the other weirdo Clippers fans...whacked!

Quote Originally Posted by LakersRuleTheNBA
    People have to remember. We're talking about the Clippers here. They're a jinxed franchise.
    You know if clipps don't recover this year than you might just be right. There is no reason beyond any locker room issues (If any) that they should be so bad right now. They started out with a home friendly schedule too!

Clippers are struggling cos their 2nd best player doesn't start and gets inconsistent PT...

Quote Originally Posted by konex
    Clippers are struggling cos their 2nd best player doesn't start and gets inconsistent PT...
    But they played without him and Livingston just fine last year. If anything those two should boost their performance.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LakersDynasty
    ^^^^I agree with what you said, basically why I believe they are not doing good. Livingston is a better defender than Ross, when Ross got the starting job last year towards the end of the season and in the playoffs I figured it would be a temporary thing until Corey fully recovers from his injury, and in the Nuggets series I thought it was because of Melo that Ross got the starting job, but now we're 18 games into the season and it still hasn't changed. That's not the only thing holding them back though, they need more ball movement and less 1 on 1 isolation plays, which we already agreed on.
    Why does Corey's name keep coming up in trade rumors? I just saw another one yesterday. I don't get it.

But they played without him and Livingston just fine last year. If anything those two should boost their performance.
    Clipps last year = Sonics the year before. Several contract year players. It was an aberration..

Maggs needs to have a defined role on this team. Q-Ross ain't that good on D to relegate him to the bench...