Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Shutter Island - Spoilers

*sigh*

Jesus, Dooms.

Decent playground baller nolebball's Avatar

Default Re: Shutter Island - So there is a chance he wasn't crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    100% WRONG. He does not pretend to be insane. And like I said before, they added that last line in the movie, it was not in the book. The story is the book.
    No Andrei is right. It's BASED on the book, not the same thing; the director/screenwriter is free to change it how they want, and they decided to end it a bit lighter, with Andrew finally realizing the truth, but wanting to die before he changed back.

To Dooms, the german doctor was not a Nazi, Andrew just created that idea himself as a part of his false impression of the truth.

Decent playground baller vitamink420's Avatar

It was a nicely-filmed movie but I don't think there was any more to it than the "twist" that he was crazy the whole time. Me and everyone I watched it with figured out within the first act that he was nuts and we were waiting for the big twist that he was right all along, but it never came. Just a very lazy ending and I probably would've enjoyed it more if a supposed "twist" wasn't hyped up to me by everyone else who saw it.

Yeah Dooms is really interpreting the plot the wrong way, it's not that hard to grasp for me, it's really only that last quote that he says that throws a bit of confusion as to what mental state he is in. But he is insane, the sane arguments are just too farfetched.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas
    Nope... I don't care what they said.
    pretty much sums up everything i've ever seen dooms post

Quote Originally Posted by Quizno
    pretty much sums up everything i've ever seen dooms post

I'm convinced that the movie was meant to be interpreted two ways... that's why it's brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Except there's nothing to back up the alternate interpretation but conjecture and speculation. Nothing. I know you aren't completely illogical, but c'mon. To actually believe that the filmmakers/actors, and the dude who wrote the book are part of some conspiracy against the public is lunacy.

Listed several things but you aren't listening...

I'll acknowledge that you've made a few good points - top one being the anagrams - but you've failed to acknowledge some of the good points I've made - many of which are listed in the link in the OP.

Again, all that stuff is is conjecture and speculation. Like the first "fact" about the cigarettes beginning the drugging process. That's not a fact. That's speculation. Therein lies the difference.

Did you hear what that b*tch in the cave had to say about the cigarettes?

I told you that you weren't listening.

The woman in the cave was most likely imaginary. He just happens to stumble upon her hiding place? And think about the cigarettes; "Chuck" was smoking the same ones and he didn't turn batty.

Anyway, it's futile debating with you, so I'm done. You are like Teddy. Refusing to look at the patient intake form so that you can continue to live in your delusion.

Well one last thing... Just think about how retarded it is for them to put a guard (near the lighthouse) in harms way of the most dangerous man on the island just to try to get him help... I guess they figured Teddy's life was more valuable then that guards.

Or was that imaginary like the cave woman?

Chuck was providing Leo with the cigarettes... just because he was smoking one didn't mean it was laced with drugs also.

And basically It makes no since for the doctor to say to Teddy: "Why are you all wet baby".... Infact the whole role playing conspiracy stuff makes no sense because they would not go to those lengths to try to help him. PERIOD.

But if these assholes were evil scientists they sure as hell would go to those lengths to f*ck persons mind and prevent him from exposing their operation.

The one part I really didn't get was when a ****ing million rats came out of the rocks of the cliff. That was just weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    The one part I really didn't get was when a ****ing million rats came out of the rocks of the cliff. That was just weird.

Didn't we see Leo in a bathroom earlier in the movie with a single Rat in it and he was afraid of it.

Probably had something to do with facing his fear... which he had to also do when he swam to the lighthouse... (he was afraid of water)

I really need to watch it again at least one more time. There are probably a bunch a details (like the screams in the cliff sequence) that I missed the first go around.

Producer and screen-writer confirm Teddy was insane.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1130884/...flat/164944625

Nope... The screen-writer and the producer are in on the conspiracy too.

good thread though.

I think the thing is here that the guys on Team Sane admit the author and the filmmakers intended one and only one outcome in both the novel and the film but they are saying they can "see" a second outcome.

In this way it does not matter to them what the author or filmmakers say, they don't actually care about what they intended the message of the film to be. They are saying this does not matter because these people saw (and possibly can only see) things one way but they (those on the sane gang) can see things two ways or more.
    I like that post.

My girl wanted me to download this so we could watch it last night. I just wanted to thank this asshole thread title for ruining any surprise there could have been for watching it the first time.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    My girl wanted me to download this so we could watch it last night. I just wanted to thank this asshole thread title for ruining any surprise there could have been for watching it the first time.
    honestly bro, no one ****ing cares.