Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Default Re: Game Thread: Cleveland Cavaliers (1-1) vs. Indiana Pacers (2-0), 7:00 PM ET

What are you guys expecting from Bennett anyway? It's weird because he went #1 and from the outside perspective, he has nothing remotely close to #1 expectations as a rookie or career wise. You don't see that often. Even Bargs had allstar level expectations at one point.

Default Re: Game Thread: Cleveland Cavaliers (1-1) vs. Indiana Pacers (2-0), 7:00 PM ET

Quote Originally Posted by MP.Trey
    Good run at the end of the quarter though. In position to make it interesting.
    Yes, at least they made a run to cut it to 7 I think...

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    This has bad the game is. Thompson didn't score his first basket of the game until about 45 seconds left...in the third quarter.
    I wish he played like this against the Nets.

Anyways, Bennet has been atrocious. Why was he picked again? Bad pick for the Cavs. Come on Cavs. Win this darn game.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    What are you guys expecting from Bennett anyway? It's weird because he went #1 and from the outside perspective, he has nothing remotely close to #1 expectations as a rookie or career wise. You don't see that often. Even Bargs had allstar level expectations at one point.
    Personally, I wasn't a big fan of the pick, but it is what it is. I'm not sure what they were expecting to do with Bennett in the future. Thompson is a 4 naturally and that's going to be his position long-term. he can play the 5 in spurts. Bennett is a 4 by nature, but he plays like a 3, but he can't guard 3s right now because he's not fast enough. His body and shoulders are for a 4.

You can blame Bennett's struggles on being a rookie or out of shape, but he's 0-14 for the season so far. You can only blame those things for so long.

Especially if Bynum works out for the long term possibly what does that mean for Bennett?
    Last edited by Meticode; 11-02-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    I wish he played like this against the Nets.

Anyways, Bennet has been atrocious. Why was he picked again? Bad pick for the Cavs. Come on Cavs. Win this darn game.
    I'm not calling it a bad pick for the Cavaliers yet. It's the third game of the season for god sakes and he just turned 20 years old. Everyone said this when we picked Thompson and Thompson is in position to possibly be MIP of the year or at least in contention if he keeps playing the way he has.

Like I said, I wasn't a fan of the pick when we have Thompson, Zeller and Varejao up front and then added Bynum, but we'll see. SF was our weakest position and you would've thought they'd add Porter Jr at the time, but we signed Clark which at least you'd think would make SF stronger, but Clark has struggled thus far.

In short, so far everyone is playing below expectations this season to me (even Irving) except for Thompson, Jack and Miles.

Stephenson's lighting us up.

Horrible game. Pacers 89, Cavs 74.

Some my notes...

* The main bright spot so far this season is the defense. The Cavaliers have held all three of their opponents to 94 points or less so far.

* Whatever Mike Brown is doing on offense or allowing on offense isn't working. Each game our offense has scored less points. 97 in Cleveland, 84 in Charlotte, 74 in Indiana.

* Anthony Bennett has struggled really bad so far this season. You can blame him being a rookie and out of shape all you want. We've been saying he's out of shape since the first game of the pre-season which was almost a month ago. So far he's shooting 0-14 from the field this season. I wasn't a fan of the pick when we picked him, I'm still not, but I will wait at least the full season until I say it was a bad choice or not.

* Irving seems to have lost confidence on his shot. He seems reluctant to take the jumper. A few times during the Pacers game he had a shot for a jumper and either didn't take it or pump faked to drive to the basket to try to make an even more difficult shot. It took him literally 12 quarters this season to make his first three which was tonight in the fourth quarter in garbage time when the Cavs were losing by 15+. Another thing that makes me feel like he's struggling is his free throw shooting. He's 11-18 this season. I don't know what it is. Whether it's because he's giving more energy on defense or what, but he's struggling offensively really badly.

* Waiters struggled 7-21, but it's mainly because he was making his jumpers for the most part. He got mugged at the basket a couple times with no calls. He's played below expectations so far this season. Played good defense on Joe Johnson in the Brooklyn game, then he only played 14 minutes in Charlotte because Brown felt Jack was the better option. Tonight he looked frustrated a lot with the non-calls he was getting. He has to play through this to "be the best shooting guard in the league within 2 years" as he puts it.

* Thompson shot the ball 5 times tonight, made 1 shot, 2 points. 4 rebounds in 35 minutes. Not sure what happened here. I know we were mainly a jump-shooting team tonight.

* Tonight the starting lineup a total of 5 assists...all from Irving. The other 4 starters? 0 assists. Varejao turned the ball over 4 times. He keeps getting passes from Irving and instead of putting the shot up he'll make a stupid bounce pass right back to Irving in the lane in traffic and it'll either be a bad pass, or you have 6'3" 190 pound Irving going up against 2-3 big defenders.

Summary

In the end the defense is okay. I'm fine with the defense. What the issue is, is the offense. They've had 15 assists and 16 turnovers for the game. Whatever they're doing on offense needs to change. Whether it's Mike Brown or Mike Brown letting Irving control the offense. It isn't working.

This will be a difficult stretch to start the season. You get the first home game to start off the season, then go on the road for 5 straight games. 5 out of their first 16 games this season are on the road.

We lost to the title favorites, on the second night of a back-to-back, in their arena. I get it, the chance of us winning this game was close to 5%. But I do have some serious concerns.

- Earl Clark, or better; the SF position. Clark hasn't impressed me for one second thus far and has scrub written all over him. Gee is just Gee and Miles will knock some shots down, but he will also miss a lot of them.

- Bennett.... I get it, rookie, shoulder surgery bla bla bla. This dude needs to get in shape asap. In his first three NBA games, he's scored 2(!) points and shot 0 for what, 15? That blown lay up was making me laugh.

Looks like Kyrie missed his start, but I'll give him a pass as I don't want to be too negative. I like his more playmaking style, but his shooting seems to be hurting from it. Needs improvement.

This was painful to watch. On to the next one. vs Minnesota

Another sad stat I noticed. C.J. Watson who started for injured George Hill had 6 assists in the game. Which is more assists than all 5 of the Cavaliers starters combined.

Serious playground baller crunk-juice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    We lost to the title favorites

in the top 5 of title favorites anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    - Earl Clark, or better; the SF position. Clark hasn't impressed me for one second thus far and has scrub written all over him. Gee is just Gee and Miles will knock some shots down, but he will also miss a lot of them.

dude has been invisible. he is basically a taller gee, who plays with no energy. i just dont get this guy. when he drives, it looks like hes just trying to find room to shoot a pull up jumper, which he cant hit. he actually gets a play run for him late in the 4th, a post up, and he settles for a long jumper.

he needs to be a lot smarter, and play with much more energy to justify the minutes he is getting. i would be happy if a good chunk of his minutes went to gee or miles

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Horrible game. Pacers 89, Cavs 74.

Some my notes...

* The main bright spot so far this season is the defense. The Cavaliers have held all three of their opponents to 94 points or less so far.

* Whatever Mike Brown is doing on offense or allowing on offense isn't working. Each game our offense has scored less points. 97 in Cleveland, 84 in Charlotte, 74 in Indiana.

* Anthony Bennett has struggled really bad so far this season. You can blame him being a rookie and out of shape all you want. We've been saying he's out of shape since the first game of the pre-season which was almost a month ago. So far he's shooting 0-14 from the field this season. I wasn't a fan of the pick when we picked him, I'm still not, but I will wait at least the full season until I say it was a bad choice or not.

* Irving seems to have lost confidence on his shot. He seems reluctant to take the jumper. A few times during the Pacers game he had a shot for a jumper and either didn't take it or pump faked to drive to the basket to try to make an even more difficult shot. It took him literally 12 quarters this season to make his first three which was tonight in the fourth quarter in garbage time when the Cavs were losing by 15+. Another thing that makes me feel like he's struggling is his free throw shooting. He's 11-18 this season. I don't know what it is. Whether it's because he's giving more energy on defense or what, but he's struggling offensively really badly.

* Waiters struggled 7-21, but it's mainly because he was making his jumpers for the most part. He got mugged at the basket a couple times with no calls. He's played below expectations so far this season. Played good defense on Joe Johnson in the Brooklyn game, then he only played 14 minutes in Charlotte because Brown felt Jack was the better option. Tonight he looked frustrated a lot with the non-calls he was getting. He has to play through this to "be the best shooting guard in the league within 2 years" as he puts it.

* Thompson shot the ball 5 times tonight, made 1 shot, 2 points. 4 rebounds in 35 minutes. Not sure what happened here. I know we were mainly a jump-shooting team tonight.

* Tonight the starting lineup a total of 5 assists...all from Irving. The other 4 starters? 0 assists. Varejao turned the ball over 4 times. He keeps getting passes from Irving and instead of putting the shot up he'll make a stupid bounce pass right back to Irving in the lane in traffic and it'll either be a bad pass, or you have 6'3" 190 pound Irving going up against 2-3 big defenders.

Summary

In the end the defense is okay. I'm fine with the defense. What the issue is, is the offense. They've had 15 assists and 16 turnovers for the game. Whatever they're doing on offense needs to change. Whether it's Mike Brown or Mike Brown letting Irving control the offense. It isn't working.

This will be a difficult stretch to start the season. You get the first home game to start off the season, then go on the road for 5 straight games. 5 out of their first 16 games this season are on the road.
    nice post

agreed on the defense. the effort has been pretty good. they are hedging really hard on screens, a lot like what the heat do on defense. the probably tonight, especially in the first half, was that after having trapped the ball handler, we are forced the rotate, and switch, so somebody else has to rotate onto hibbert, and he got a lot of easy looks. or he would draw help, and it opened up their 3pt shooters.

i like the defense so far, but i think it just doesnt work well against a team like indiana.

dion had a nice first half, but i dont even remember him shooting in the second half.

the pacers played pretty good defense on kyrie, but he just didnt play that hard, and missed some easy looks. im pretty sure he'll get it together, and when he does, we should be fine this year, but if he isnt playing at last years level, we dont really have a shot at beating any worthwhile teams.

i feel like tristan has earned the right to have some more plays called for him. he got like one post up in the game. hes earned more than that.