Default Has Warner Bros. Decreed The DC Movie Universe Should Be Joke Free?

Has Warner Bros. Decreed The DC Movie Universe Should Be Joke Free?

According to Hitfix, Warner Bros. has issued a mandate that its DC superhero movies all be joke-free. And I don't mean they don't want to make comedies, I mean they don't want to have a single joke in any of the nearly 10 movies they have coming up.

I could get into a whole thing about how I think the DC pantheon is infinitely more suited to being less serious than Marvel, but I won't. Instead, please think about the future ramifications of this. Are we really going to have a Flash movie where Barry Allen isn't allowed to crack wise? Is The Flash going to be as dark and tormented as Man of Steel? Because that sounds horrible. Will the Shazam movie be joke-free? Will we watch a movie about a 10-year-old who turns into an adult superhero without any humor whatsoever? That's madness.

Look, whether you really love DC's movies or not, the thing that kills me is that humor is a basic narrative tool. That's like trying to write a book without metaphors — yes, you probably can, but why would you? I'm not saying Man of Steel 2 needs to be screwball comedy, but can you really tell me audiences will enjoy it more if they're never given a single reason to smile? You'd think the Marvel movies — all of which had humor, and the most recent, Guardians of the Galaxy, was pretty close to an outright comedy, might have shown WB that perhaps audiences might want more from their superheroes than brooding and angst, but apparently not.

DC continues to show how adept they are at making great well rounded movies. If this proves to be true.

Default Re: Has Warner Bros. Decreed The DC Movie Universe Should Be Joke Free?

Good.

Marvel is for kids

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup
    Has Warner Bros. Decreed The DC Movie Universe Should Be Joke Free?

DC continues to show how adept they are at making great well rounded movies. If this proves to be true.
    Last time DC tried to make a comedy they ended up with Batman and Robin and then green Lantern

Banned

Nolans Batmans had some great dark humor in them, was part of what made them so great.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss
    Good.

Marvel is for kids

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Nolans Batmans had some great dark humor in them, was part of what made them so great.
    This. Joker was funny as fck

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss
    Good.

Marvel is for kids
    I read comics, and you sir, are correct.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    I read comics, and you sir, are correct.
    Latest Spider Woman disagrees.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I want them to be serious if it makes sense for the character (Batman) or less serious if it doesn't make too much sense (Green Lantern).

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Their entire history of attempted super hero movies is a joke

For me is like when there's a degree of dry or under the radar humor involved in a super hero movie. After all you're dealing with content of grown men in costume fighting crime.

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

I dunno, "Man of Steel" had tons of moments of (unintentional) humor. The whole movie was a joke.

NBA Superstar

i have no clue how they're going to make Wonder Woman good. Lasso of truth? how corny/lame is that? bracelets to deflect everything? i guess that could work. but damn i'll be shocked if it ends up good somehow, they're working with such bad stuff.

same with Flash IMO. all this dude does is run super fast and yeah he has super strength but every iteration of the Flash i've seen has been pretty fukking bad.

at least Batman had his utility belt, all of his toys like the motorcycle and batmobile, bat cave and shit.....and it always had that dark feel where goth style movie worked well for it. Wonder woman is tacky as hell, and Flash i don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    i have no clue how they're going to make Wonder Woman good. Lasso of truth? how corny/lame is that? bracelets to deflect everything? i guess that could work. but damn i'll be shocked if it ends up good somehow, they're working with such bad stuff.

same with Flash IMO. all this dude does is run super fast and yeah he has super strength but every iteration of the Flash i've seen has been pretty fukking bad.

at least Batman had his utility belt, all of his toys like the motorcycle and batmobile, bat cave and shit.....and it always had that dark feel where goth style movie worked well for it. Wonder woman is tacky as hell, and Flash i don't know...
    It's gonna be a steaming pile of shit, yo.