Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Default Re: Can Someone Explain to me the Enes Kanter Situation?

Quote Originally Posted by The Poet
    He's also has no Final Four or National Runner up records either.
    For.

The.

Win.

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

People are so butthurt about Cal it's hilarious. ESPECIALLY Illinios fans, for some reason. It's okay, I remember what it's like to have a coach who can't recruit. Keep doing things "the right way", maybe you can make the tournament in consecutive years.

Your hatred speaks volumes about the REAL reason you think Kanter shouldn't play. If he was at Texas or Arizona or something, no one would be all up in arms, here or at the New York Times.

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    People are so butthurt about Cal it's hilarious. ESPECIALLY Illinios fans, for some reason. It's okay, I remember what it's like to have a coach who can't recruit. Keep doing things "the right way", maybe you can make the tournament in consecutive years.

Your hatred speaks volumes about the REAL reason you think Kanter shouldn't play. If he was at Texas or Arizona or something, no one would be all up in arms, here or at the New York Times.
    I'm confused, are you saying Bruce Weber can't coach or recruit? Because he has a +700 in % at Illinois and has proven to be a pretty damn good recruiter. And he'd doing it all with out any cloud of suspicion surrounding him. And Illinois basketball has been much more relevant than Kentucky basketball this past decade, but good try.

And if Kanter was going to Texas then I would be up in arms to some extent because Rick Barnes isn't the cleanest recruiter out there.

You're coming off like the majority of Kentucky fans, and that's not a good thing. You got so sock of losing and underachieving by Kentucky standards, that you're willing to almost completely ignore all the recruiting violations and scandal that's been left in Calipari's wake as he left a school for greener pastures. He's "made" it to two Final Fours, both of which have been erased, and he's not exactly off to the cleanest start at Kentucky.

People are a up in arms partly because it's Kentucky and Calipari, but most knowledgeable college basketball fans are upset about it because, whether or not it was intentional, Kanter has been paid to play professional basketball in the past which shouldn't allow him to play American college basketball.

Calipari has no recruiting violations. None.

As for "knowledgeable college basketball fans", I doubt you are more knowledgeable about the Kanter case, and eligibility in general than the NCAA. They will review all the facts from the case and make a decision, one that most right now expect to be that he will play, albeit after a small suspension. A "knowledgeable college basketball fan" should know that the NCAA has recently passed rule changes which make it easier on kids coming from Europe and the club system to play college ball in America. They clearly understand that the way they do things over there is different and shouldn't necessarily prevent a kid from playing NCAA basketball. And again, the Kanter family has denied receiving a salary, only money for expenses, which again according to the NCAA, would not necessarily render him ineligible.

And yes, we were sick of losing, both on the court and on the recruiting trail. So when Tubby's seat got too hot, and the (valid) criticism became too much and he bolted. Then we had to listen to idiots ramble on about how Kentucky fans were racist and unrealistic. So you see, we are used to people running their mouth when they don't really know what they are talking about.

And Illinois basketball has not, nor will it ever be more relevant than Kentucky basketball.

Calipari has no recruiting violations. None.

As for "knowledgeable college basketball fans", I doubt you are more knowledgeable about the Kanter case, and eligibility in general than the NCAA. They will review all the facts from the case and make a decision, one that most right now expect to be that he will play, albeit after a small suspension. A "knowledgeable college basketball fan" should know that the NCAA has recently passed rule changes which make it easier on kids coming from Europe and the club system to play college ball in America. They clearly understand that the way they do things over there is different and shouldn't necessarily prevent a kid from playing NCAA basketball. And again, the Kanter family has denied receiving a salary, only money for expenses, which again according to the NCAA, would not necessarily render him ineligible.

And yes, we were sick of losing, both on the court and on the recruiting trail. So when Tubby's seat got too hot, and the (valid) criticism became too much and he bolted. Then we had to listen to idiots ramble on about how Kentucky fans were racist and unrealistic. So you see, we are used to people running their mouth when they don't really know what they are talking about.

And Illinois basketball has not, nor will it ever be more relevant than Kentucky basketball.
    So tell me this, do you actually think Calipari is a "clean" recruiter and does things the "right" way? If you truly believe that then you are beyond help.

And yes, for the past 10 years, Illinois basketball has been more successful, and thus more relevant to the college basketball landscape than Kentucky. I hate to break it to you, but in their 10+ years of being only a shadow of what they once were, Kentucky's popularity and coolness, or whatever it was they had going for them in the 90's, faded.

Only until Calipari arrived did they start pulling in all these top recruits. And coincidentally (or not?) he's getting 3-5 of the top 25-30 recruits in each class, all of whom seem to have no aspirations of even attempting to get their college degree, and making Kentucky (or whatever university Calipari is coaching at) a one year sideshow to showcase their talents for the next level. Whether he is doing so by following all the rules or not is beside the point in my eyes. Even if he is landing all of these recruits by not breaking or bending any rules, it still comes off as very questionable to non-Kentucky college hoops fans. And that leads to fans have almost zero respect for Calipari which leads them to having basically zero respect for Kentucky. Just like many college basketball fans strongly disliked the Memphis basketball proram when he was there.

Calipari is the best recruiter in country, and he is now at the greatest program with the greatest fan support and resources in college basketball. He simply does not need to cheat. Much like UNC a few years ago and Duke at the beginning of the last decade, he gets whoever he wants. Literally.

So yes, of course I believe he is clean. And I will continue to do so unless proven otherwise. All you have is innuendo, that and apparent incredulity that no coach could be that good a recruiter.

As for the one and done thing, it was ONE YEAR. I love how people are trying to use that as proof that it will always be that way, just because he has recruited more highly ranked players (what is he supposed to be doing?). Quite frankly, it's ridiculous that Orton or Bledsoe got drafted in the first round, but hey, how can you blame Calipari? They all went first round. I would love a baseball-type rule, allowing kids to go straight out of HS, and if you to to school you have to stay for two years. Even then, Cal would get the best players that go to school.

Serious playground baller disco's Avatar

Like someone already explained, in Europe basketball isn't tied to the school system and pro clubs have their own youth teams. The most promising young players get to play and practice with the first team at very young age. They don't make a decision "to go pro", they do that by default.

I'm not commenting on should Kanter be cleared to play in NCAA or not, just want to point out he's not a crook trying to abuse the system. If his family brought him to US a couple of years ago and he doesn't want to go back to Europe, college basketball is basically the only option he has before going to NBA.

I don't know why Kanter even wants to play college basketball. He should just become a pro in Europe, get money, enter the first NBA draft he is elibigle for, and then decide if he wants to play in the NBA or for a top European team. I understand maybe he thinks going to UK is a better route to the NBA, but it's not like he really loses anything if he is inelgible.

As for Kentucy fans, I hate to break it to you, but you're never going to win a national championship starting 4 or 5 new freshmen every year. Because Calipari seems to only be getting prima donna one-and-done talents with no interest in getting any kind of education.

At least you'll be good every year, I suppose, until the inevitable hammer of NCAA investigation falls, and Calipari inevitably manages to weasel out and bail to another school again.

Serious playground baller disco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.M.G.
    I don't know why Kanter even wants to play college basketball. He should just become a pro in Europe, get money, enter the first NBA draft he is elibigle for, and then decide if he wants to play in the NBA or for a top European team. I understand maybe he thinks going to UK is a better route to the NBA, but it's not like he really loses anything if he is inelgible.
    I don't know about the motives, but if he has been in the US for a couple of years - with his family, I kind of understand he doesn't want to move back and forth between the continents. One year in college may also make him a more attractive draft pick.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

So, espn is reporting that the NCAA ruled him permanently ineligible. Of course UK will appeal, but its a big blow for them.

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

You mean the professional basketball player is ineligible to play college basketball? Shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    You mean the professional basketball player is ineligible to play college basketball? Shocking.
    He was not a professional, no one is saying he was a professional. He received expense money, which is not an NCAA violation, but aprroximately 13k went unused. The Kanters left it in the account and have been asking to pay it back, but were denied.

But feel free to continue not knowing what you are talking about. The appeals board can take circumstances and context into account when ruling, while the NCAA really only looks at the rules in black and white. It's still very possible he plays.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...09/enes-kanter

Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles UConnCeltics's Avatar

I don't see the big deal. He is an one and done player... what does he care if he doesn't play? He could just go back to his native country for a year then join the NBA. Bilas was whining about robbing him of a college education but what do these one and dones have for college classes (if they show up for them)? Basket weaving?

Anyways UK wouldn't do anything with or without him this year. This year's college field > last year's and UK's class last year was three times as good as this year's class. And they only made an Elite 8.

Quote Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
    I don't see the big deal. He is an one and done player... what does he care if he doesn't play? He could just go back to his native country for a year then join the NBA. Bilas was whining about robbing him of a college education but what do these one and dones have for college classes (if they show up for them)? Basket weaving?

Anyways UK wouldn't do anything with or without him this year. This year's college field > last year's and UK's class last year was three times as good as this year's class. And they only made an Elite 8.
    Enes Kanter might be the best post prospect in the world, it's moronic to say UK wouldn't "do anything" with him.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Enes Kanter might be the best post prospect in the world, it's moronic to say UK wouldn't "do anything" with him.
    you need to relax about this. even if hes ruled eligible on appeal (which I dont think he will be, but you never know), how soon is that going to happen. enjoy watching the team you have going forward. and yes calipari is a scummy recruiter. no doubt about it.