Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Bo Jackson. 4.1-4.3 40 depending on who you ask...500 pound bench press....

Great vid, Blaze.

No way in hell he ran a 4.1 40-yard dash, though. He was lightening fast, for sure. It would surprise me, though, if he were any faster than Adrian Peterson and he ran a 4.33 at the combine. That is just blazing fast.

4.1 is otherwordly. I know the guy was a freak, but that is a bit of a stretch.

He was definitely the most unstoppable player in the history of sports video games, though. You couldn't tackle the guy in the original Tecmo Bowl.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Bo Jackson. 4.1-4.3 40 depending on who you ask...500 pound bench press....

I did some checking on the 40 time and it is the fastest ever recorded with significant witnesses at the combine. However it was before electronic timing. It was back when you were timed between 2 and 6 times by hand and they used an average, or threw out the highest and lowest numbers, or guys just went by the lowest. Depends on who was deciding. But he did run a 4.12 in front of scouts. Just a matter of how much its thrown off by being hand timed.

The fastest fully computerized I think was Justin Gatlin a while back doing a 4.24 and hes a real sprinter. Likely most even super fast guys run 4.3 and change. Bolt I read over the last 40 of his current world record did it in 3.88 but he already had a head of steam. You cant start out moving that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I did some checking on the 40 time and it is the fastest ever recorded with significant witnesses at the combine. However it was before electronic timing. It was back when you were timed between 2 and 6 times by hand and they used an average, or threw out the highest and lowest numbers, or guys just went by the lowest. Depends on who was deciding. But he did run a 4.12 in front of scouts. Just a matter of how much its thrown off by being hand timed.

The fastest fully computerized I think was Justin Gatlin a while back doing a 4.24 and hes a real sprinter. Likely most even super fast guys run 4.3 and change. Bolt I read over the last 40 of his current world record did it in 3.88 but he already had a head of steam. You cant start out moving that fast.
    That is just insane. I've been saying for some time that Bo Jackson and LeBron James are the two greatest natural athletes that I have ever seen in my life.

Bo Jackson was on his way to being alongside Jim Brown as the greatest running back of all-time when the entire sports world took a hit and his hip was pulled out of socket. That alone is pretty incredible. He was moving at such a high rate of speed and with such power, that, by grabbing his foot, his leg was separated from his f*cking hip.

Amazing...

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

It is impossible to call Bo the greatest athlete ever, he only played 4 years...It is possible to say he was the most "athletic" human ever though...

Deion/Bo/Darrell Green all have "rumored" times...and they all ran the 40 before it was elctronic...

I have seen/read times on Deion everywhere from 4.09-4.29...the most common is 4.19...Deion also is rumored to have run the 40 at 4.8....BACKWARD...(no, that isn't a joke)

Micheal Turner ran a 4.24 electronic at the combine...

He was a silverback for sure...an Adrian Peterson with 10 more lbs on him.

Bo is a legend here. He still comes around every once in a while. Now that you know that, guess where I am.

Quote Originally Posted by KenneBell
    Bo is a legend here. He still comes around every once in a while. Now that you know that, guess where I am.

Serious playground baller methusala's Avatar

Bo is the only player in baseball history to have an 80 rating on THREE tools. Arm, speed, and power all got 80 ratings.

It doesn't sound possible, but it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    It is impossible to call Bo the greatest athlete ever, he only played 4 years...It is possible to say he was the most "athletic" human ever though...

Deion/Bo/Darrell Green all have "rumored" times...and they all ran the 40 before it was elctronic...

I have seen/read times on Deion everywhere from 4.09-4.29...the most common is 4.19...Deion also is rumored to have run the 40 at 4.8....BACKWARD...(no, that isn't a joke)

Micheal Turner ran a 4.24 electronic at the combine...
    We've been over this a million times. When I say 'greatest natural athlete,' it has nothing to do with accomplishments. I'm talking about natural-born, physical freaks of nature.

You get too damned caught up on semantics. I've clarified this 20 times for you over the years... You know I got love for you, -pt-, but sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    We've been over this a million times. When I say 'greatest natural athlete,' it has nothing to do with accomplishments. I'm talking about natural-born, physical freaks of nature.

You get too damned caught up on semantics. I've clarified this 20 times for you over the years... You know I got love for you, -pt-, but sometimes...
    It isn't semantics, it is truth...

you know I gotta make sure people realize Bo didn't accomplish sh*t compared to Neon...

he didn't have "on the fly" speed like Neon either...

Just comes down to if we are talking about the kind of athletic that has people ranking tiger woods a top 10 all time athlete...or the kind of athletic that has something to do with the word athletic.

And on the fly speed? He has recorded...real...factual times...similar to some olympians. He was a state champ sprinter, high jumper, long jumper, and hurdler. 2 times state champ in the decathlon. His 60 meter was a blink of an eye behind the fastest men in the world at the time....and track was his 3rd sport at best. He didnt really train for it. Off raw natural speed he could compete with the fastest men on the planet who lived for it. His 60 is identical to some(not most...but some) times put up by Mark Witherspoon who was a sprinter in the 92 olympics and holds wins over Carl Lewis.

Bo Jackson was very close to the fastest a human was capable of moving in his day. If Deion was faster its not by nearly the margin that Bo has him beat strength wise.

Deion ran a 10.21 100 and Bo ran a 10.38. Darrell Green ran a 10.08. All of them official college results. Only ones I could find. Dont have an average or their verified bests...just what each of them did on one day. Guys can vary by more than that entire range from one event to the next. Especially guys who arent really into it like them who lack that consistency. So much of it is training and being taught how to run for the best times. I suspect when Deions is faster you lend more weight to such things...but less when he isnt. For example....Jamal Charles. Faster 100 than deion. One of a good number of NFL players faster than Sanders recorded times. Willie Gault is 48 and ran a 10.7 setting a world record for his age group. He was faster than Sanders time in his prime. If we wanna say Sanders was faster for the 100 time we would also have to saya good long list of guys arefaster than Sanders.

I attribute it mostly to how much these guys care about track. If they went all out at it I think the times dip a lot.

Little other thing...

Bo and Deion are both slower than Jesse Owens in 1936. Green a tad faster.

Imagine Owens in a modern setting running on modern tracks getting real training?

Hed probably leave all 3 in the dust.

But where Bo is different is his size and power. At these guys speed....he was benching 450 in college and 500+ as an adult. A guy with world class natural speed is as strong as Hulk Hogan.

Kinda like Vernon Davis really. As a straight up athlete....ability to do generally athletic things...run, lift, jump, and so on? Physical activity? Bo is up there near the peak of human potential. Deion is up there too speed wise. But with all the sprinters we know are faster?

I think you gotta drop Deion some because all he has on a high level is speed and coordination. Bo doesnt have all around strength to compete on a world class level either....but nobody who does is as fast as him. Id bet anything on that.

Bo was just...absurd really. Hes a linebacker running away from corners at their top speed. Bo was just a joke.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 09-03-2009 at 06:03 AM.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Yeah because Jim Thorpe never existed.
    No I meant in one's respective individual sport.

Decent college freshman

Bo doesnt have all around strength to compete on a world class level either....but nobody who does is as fast as him. Id bet anything on that.
    Wilt Chamberlain

Ive seen Arnold say Wilt benched 500+.....but so did Bo. And while Wilt was very fast he wasnt Bo Jackson fast as far as I know. Wilt was crazy for his speed and hops at his size. He was a great high jumper, long jumper, volley ball player, and was running marathons in his 50s.