Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Because its extremely hard to fight on ice. Fighting on a hard surface is entirely more dangerous. In hockey, once a player falls to the ice the fight is over.

Quote Originally Posted by iggy>
    Because its extremely hard to fight on ice. Fighting on a hard surface is entirely more dangerous. In hockey, once a player falls to the ice the fight is over.
    One would thinking having gloves, sticks and fighting on ice would be more dangerous than hardwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Just2McFly
    One would thinking having gloves, sticks and fighting on ice would be more dangerous than hardwood.
    It's very hard to land significant blows while sliding on ice. Players have to hold each others Jersey's just to keep their balance.

So the reasoning behind fighting allowed in hockey is...just because it is.

Only cool part about hockey is fighting and some guy weaving thru players and scoring. But I always wondered why fighting is allowed in the sport. Its not like the guys fight and its broken up. In fact you know a fight will happen and the zebras just waits for the first person to get KO'd or dropped. Why let them fight to begin with?

I can't get into hockey, no clue about the sport so it seems like the game would watch me more than me it. My friend asked me to go to the Flyers game yesterday, had suite tickets. I declined. I have no idea what I'm watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    You know, I think sports fans these days would rather see athletes take passive-aggressive shots at each other over twitter than actually fight like men.
    There's a large nugget of truth to that.

Dudes have big padded gloves and helmets on.
    They are on ice skates.
    There is a glass barrier between fans and players.
    Fights are mostly one on one.

There are three reasons for fighting in hockey and the first reason is for a way for players to police themselves. When a shit disturber is slashing, late hits or taking cheap shots at a star player and the ref doesn't see it or won't blow the whistle, the star player's teammate came come in and initiate a fight to keep the shithead in check.

The league is trying to stop this, because now they have a instigating rule, where if you start the fight, you get an extra two minutes in the box. Which is stupid, because now there are lot more cheap shots happening by smaller players and they refuse to fight, because they know they'll be killed, but they know that rule will protect them and their coach will be glad that they instigated the other team to get an instigating penalty.

The second reason is psychological. When your team is down by the score, and you're getting out shot, out hit, out hustle, and just plain losing; you need a spark to give your team some energy. So you start a fight and if you win it, it's a moral boost to your team. They get jacked up.

The last reason is just pure revenge from a past incident.

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

hockey is the toughest most exciting sport by far. nothing more exciting then being down one goal with a minute left pulling your goalie and scoring that tying goal. or just a well set up goal. Gobb you missed a great game last night high scoring flyers games are so much fun. also about the fighting if you have guys hitting you that hard all night long frustration builds up and you handle it. like others have said it sparks your team i've seen teams down 2 goals their player wins a fight and they come back. also gobb i'm sure living in philly you've heard about the broad street bullies? the team in the 70's that beat their way to 2 stanley cups. heres a great hour long HBO documentary about them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJgMQDkyJH0 hockey players are by far the toughest out of all the 4 major sports to play such a physically demanding game for 82 games a season is ridiculous, hockey players are a different breed.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Is that hypocrisy? Most of the people replying will know more about the NHL than me, I only care about the Bruins and then only when they're going for the Cup. Just asking because I don't see hypocrisy in your statement, that's just them permitting more violence than other sports. I don't think their punishments will end fighting like the NBA has but are they saying they have a hard stance against fighting?

I'm saying that NBA/NFL players have a small skirmish and they are fined, looked down upon, and called thugs. Hockey players do it an they are called tough.

I can see why fighting isn't permitted in the NBA...the game revolves around flow.

I can see why fighting isn't allowed in the NFL....it would be pandemonium.

What I can't see is why NFL players, who push and shove each other all game, are fined and hyper surveilled when it comes to physicality...if the NFL had a fight like this it would be the opening story on every sports news show...people would be questioning their morals for wasting the fans money and all that.
    Last edited by Go Getter; 01-19-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc
    Dudes have big padded gloves and helmets on.
    They are on ice skates.
    There is a glass barrier between fans and players.
    Fights are mostly one on one.
    Thanks for adding some true insight without the bullshit. I may not agree but I see some of the reasoning.

I'm not seeing where this is hypocrisy. Fighting is just allowed by rule in one and not allowed in the other.

Besides...aside from a few guys, basketball players are far and away the fakest bunch of tough guys going in American pro sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    I'm not seeing where this is hypocrisy. Fighting is just allowed by rule in one and not allowed in the other.

Besides...aside from a few guys, basketball players are far and away the fakest bunch of tough guys going in American pro sports.
    I agree. Chris Childs threw the last decent punches I've seen in a b ball game

My thing is that when football players scuffle they are seen as thugs. When hockey players fight it is seen as tough.

The fans lost out lat night with all the penalties...if it was the NBA people would be chastising them for wasting the fans money to settle personal vendettas. No one is questioning the morals of the brawlers from last night.

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    I agree. Chris Childs threw the last decent punches I've seen in a b ball game

My thing is that when football players scuffle they are seen as thugs. When hockey players fight it is seen as tough.

The fans lost out lat night with all the penalties...if it was the NBA people would be chastising them for wasting the fans money to settle personal vendettas. No one is questioning the morals of the brawlers from last night.
    maybe it's the fact that nfl is an american game and hockey was made by tough canadian mountain men?

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    My thing is that when football players scuffle they are seen as thugs.
    Because most of the time they do fight like thugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Because most of the time they fight like thugs.

Yeah because hockey players fight like gentlemen.