Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Some 93 Hakeem Hypotheticals

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Shoot over those triple teams maybe? What else could he have done. He was putting up stupid statlines and series was decided by some bs call. He was triple teamed and made the right plays.
    Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    I guess you didn't know but Olajuwon is the only superstar who played against prime Jordan while having a winning record against him as well.

So your logic completely fails, he was in fact beating Jordan with Smith, Maxwell, Thorpe, Horry and Herrera and Jordan himself has said that he was lucky that he didn't have to face Olajuwon and the Rockets in the playoffs.

Jordan and Hakeem faced each other 23 times and Hakeem holds a 13 to 10 edge against him.
    millwad - What're your thoughts on the hypothetical in the OP? Do you think if he gets more touches in G7 and plays at his 95 playoffs level in the WCF/Finals they win? Or do they fall short even with more monster performances?

NBA rookie of the year

That's regular season.
    So?

Olajuwon played better in the playoffs compared to the regular season through out his career.

Olajuwon has the highest scoring average per game in the playoffs in NBA thistory among centers.

Very good NBA starter

So?

Olajuwon played better in the playoffs compared to the regular season through out his career.

Olajuwon has the highest scoring average per game in the playoffs in NBA thistory among centers.
    What's your point? That's regular season.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Thanks for the response.

millwad - What're your thoughts on the hypothetical in the OP? Do you think if he gets more touches in G7 and plays at his 95 playoffs level in the WCF/Finals they win? Or do they fall short even with more monster performances?
    It's a really hard one to be honest.

The game 7 against the Sonics is a joke, anyone, no matter if they're a Rocket or Olajuwon fan would admit that the Rockets got robbed. I don't know if the highlights have been posted from that game 7 but anyone can check the horrible refs here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEGvKVNoJ8E

If they would have beaten the Sonics I do think the WCF would fit the Rockets more. KJ really wasn't himself and he missed more than 30 games in the regular season in '93 and he was always the one who was beasting on the Rockets. The Rockets would have had a really good shot against the Suns.

If they would have beaten the Suns I think the Rockets would have the best chance in the West to beat the Bulls given the fact that they never match-up all that good against the Rockets and that Houston's best player was Olajuwon and he was no guard that Jordan or Pippen could take care of.

I've never been a huge fan of talking about "if's" but I'll tell you this, the Rockets would have had the best shot in beating the Bulls that year.

NBA rookie of the year

What's your point? That's regular season.
    My point is that the Bulls never matched-up well against Olajuwon and the Rockets, they just didn't and even Houston even beat them during the years they were crappy.

And when you mention that it's regular season only, I told you that Olajuwon raised his game in the playoffs which he did and he had the highest scoring average in NBA history in the playoffs among centers.

Very good NBA starter

My point is that the Bulls never matched-up well against Olajuwon and the Rockets, they just didn't and even Houston even beat them during the years they were crappy.

And when you mention that it's regular season only, I told you that Olajuwon raised his game in the playoffs which he did and he had the highest scoring average in NBA history in the playoffs among centers.
    I never said Hakeem wasn't going to rise his game. My point is that's regular season. Means noting. Bulls were beating Miami in regular seasons too. Playoffs is different.

It's a really hard one to be honest.

The game 7 against the Sonics is a joke, anyone, no matter if they're a Rocket or Olajuwon fan would admit that the Rockets got robbed. I don't know if the highlights have been posted from that game 7 but anyone can check the horrible refs here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEGvKVNoJ8E

If they would have beaten the Sonics I do think the WCF would fit the Rockets more. KJ really wasn't himself and he missed more than 30 games in the regular season in '93 and he was always the one who was beasting on the Rockets. The Rockets would have had a really good shot against the Suns.

If they would have beaten the Suns I think the Rockets would have the best chance in the West to beat the Bulls given the fact that they never match-up all that good against the Rockets and that Houston's best player was Olajuwon and he was no guard that Jordan or Pippen could take care of.

I've never been a huge fan of talking about "if's" but I'll tell you this, the Rockets would have had the best shot in beating the Bulls that year.
    Thanks for your response. Good points about strange officiating in G7 and their matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
    Okay, so we should not include winning & personal achievements then?
    Why isn't Oscar on anyone's top 10 list then? Wilt is on the list because his individual impact is legendary, moreso then Hakeem. People love to fantasize about his inflated numbers.

Heck, I probably respect Hakeem more then Wilt when it comes to winning anyways. I understand that Hakeem had bad teammates throughout his career, but in retrospect shall I give him someone else's spot because of it?

He still lost 9 times, that's A LOT. That definitely influences my ranking. I mean, if you're a legend... a top 10 player of all-time, I'd think you can at least upset a team ONCE in nine ****ing tries.

i hope u are not stupid enough to count 2002 just to throw more dirk on his legacy?

he was 40 years old playing like 15 minutes a night.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    I wasn't arguing otherwise. I have always been a big fan of Dirk's game. But his legend is going to take off. And I have no problem with that. It's the Grant Hill/Penny Hardaway legends that get annoying. I swear some people would take prime Hill over Larry Bird

bump

[QUOTE=rhythmic

Would have been my GOAT center if not for the fact that he lost in the first round 8x!

1) I have no idea. Kemp was pretty much his cryptonite he never played well against the Sonics. Maybe trying to play more down low ala young Hakeem as opposed to mid-range and getting Shawn in foul trouble would work better?

2) The Suns although more talented were beatable. KJ was struggling after his injury and Ceballos was out. Considering how the Suns choked in '94 and '95 the Rockets would have a chance for sure.

3) Hakeem in '93 and '94 didn't have a good enough team to beat Jordan's Bulls. Pippen and Grant were better than any of his teammates even Otis Thorpe. However, Olajuwon himself would feast on the Bulls' front line.

4) He would be looked at a bit better for sure. Now I have him either #7 or #8 all-time which is a bit high to many people. I value his postseason runs immensely because of the extreme degree of difficulty. With a 3rd title and over Jordan's Bulls no less, Hakeem would be a lock for top 8 IMO over Duncan and Kobe.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    If you remember, we had a discussion once about 1992-93 season being the best of Hakeem's. After that I watched of him games in that season. And from what I've seen;

It was the 2nd season of Hakeem under Rudy T's coaching and I find Hakeem was like LeBron at center. He was truly ball dominant for a center and his apg numbers went up because of this. It was the season Hakeem's offensive role got bigger.

He was a combo of pre-RudyT Hakeem and chips-winning Hakeem. He was more concentrated on his rebounding and defense compared to his title seasons with lesser scoring and being ball-dominant.

In 1993-94 season he excelled his offensive role. If you can watch enough of 1992-93 and 1993-94 seasons, you will get the feeling. The numbers wouldn't tell this much of the story.

My overall ranking of Hakeem's seasons;
    1. 1993-94 (and I do not have any doubts about it now)
    2. 1992-93
    3. 1993-95

Yes, I'd rank 1992-93 over 1994-95. Because as for scoring, 1994-95 was Hakeem's best. But just as for scoring. The other facets truly weren't the same.