Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Jeremy Lin not guaranteed to stay with Knicks, says agent

It's not just me dreaming of putting argnani. Ext to Carmelo, I believe that you have to sign and trade Lin or sign him and keep him. The poker chip theory says you get something for nothing wand then all of a sudden that chip has value you have to play it. The safest bet you have is to trade him now while the value is what it is. I'm not saying gambling on Lin being a starting pg is or isn't a good bet but the idea of trading him for value is a great bet. Toronto wants him and they have the perfect player for the Knicks It's worth a shot

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Lin cannot be signed and traded for at least one year per cba rules.

Krust Kingz

[COLOR="Red"]franchize i forgot to mention i loved your post about the PG's that was an AWESOME job![/COLOR]

"The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    [COLOR="Red"]franchize i forgot to mention i loved your post about the PG's that was an AWESOME job![/COLOR]
    Thanks alot man!

Banned

The problem with our backcourt is that to me, the talent level of it doesn't matter as much as the capability to mesh with our front court stars.

With Melo-Amare-Chandler, we need a pass first point guard who can do a bit of penetrating to either find Amare/Chandler on pick and roll types of plays, let Melo do some iso, and do a drive-and-pop to a shooter/Melo. Which also brings me to address the SG position in that we need a guy who can consistently knock down long shots and three's.

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

although i dont approve of the Lin dickriding, I think the other side may be even more silly. At the end of the day we're talking about a 23 year old kid, who put up 20+ppg, 8+apg in his first real month of action, yet we have a number of people who dont believe we should invest the FULL MLE (as if some huge number) on him SMH

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynZoo
    although i dont approve of the Lin dickriding, I think the other side may be even more silly. At the end of the day we're talking about a 23 year old kid, who put up 20+ppg, 8+apg in his first real month of action, yet we have a number of people who dont believe we should invest the FULL MLE (as if some huge number) on him SMH
    Yea but what people dont realize is that he isnt just getting the MLE. Hes getting a contract that STARTS at the MLE. Its going to be a 4yr deal most likely and its probably going to be heavily backloaded.

The most Lin can make is 4 yr 36 mil.

By the time that backload kicks in, the other guys will be an expiring contract, so Dolan bites the bullet for only one year.

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    The most Lin can make is 4 yr 36 mil.

By the time that backload kicks in, the other guys will be an expiring contract, so Dolan bites the bullet for only one year.
    That's almost 26 mil in the last 2 years though. That contract averages out to 9 mil a year. That's pretty steep if you ask me. I'm not saying Lin stinks and we need to get rid of him. I'm saying if you give him that money, you'd better be sure he is good.

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    Yea but what people dont realize is that he isnt just getting the MLE. Hes getting a contract that STARTS at the MLE. Its going to be a 4yr deal most likely and its probably going to be heavily backloaded.

good point as most people dont know about that (i didnt), including the naysayers who dont want to sign him simply for the MLE.

are they able to sign him to a 1 year MLE deal or do they have to match years with other teams? that would complicate things if another team could simply offer a longer deal

Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    That's almost 26 mil in the last 2 years though. That contract averages out to 9 mil a year. That's pretty steep if you ask me. I'm not saying Lin stinks and we need to get rid of him. I'm saying if you give him that money, you'd better be sure he is good.
    It is pretty steep, true enough, but his value off the court is the driving factor, even though I think the kid will be solid by then.

BTW, did you see his new jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynZoo
    good point as most people dont know about that (i didnt), including the naysayers who dont want to sign him simply for the MLE.

are they able to sign him to a 1 year MLE deal or do they have to match years with other teams? that would complicate things if another team could simply offer a longer deal
    We have to offer the qualifying offer, which basically makes him restricted, but really is just a formality.

If Lin signs an off sheet, we can't come back and do a one year deal with, we have to match or he's gone.

The things about the backload is the team offering it also has to have that cap space available too, but it's really gonna be a ploy to make the Knicks pay more.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

It is pretty steep, true enough, but his value off the court is the driving factor, even though I think the kid will be solid by then.

BTW, did you see his new jacket?

Tacky.

Sarc, you don't like that?

I wouldn't rock it, because it's not my style, but the it's tight to me.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarc, you don't like that?

I wouldn't rock it, because it's not my style, but the it's tight to me.
    A varsity jacket that isn't even of a team? No way!