View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Randy's Movie Recommendation

Letters From Iwo Jima (2006) directed by Clint Eastwood.

I just watched this movie last night, and after only one viewing I feel confident is saying that Letters From Iwo Jima just might be the greatest war movie ever made. It tells the story of the Battle of Iwo Jima, but this time it is from the POV of the Japanese soldiers stationed there.

LFIJ is the "sequel" to Flags Of Our Fathers, a movie about American soldiers that fought on Iwo Jima and their controversial return home. Flags is a good movie, but Letters blows it out of the water. The cinematography and battle scenes are amazing and the characters are developed with perfection. I actually found myself rooting for the Japanese soldiers during the war because I felt that I was actually there with them.

I am a huge Martin Scorsese fan and was extremely happy when he won Best Director and Picture for The Departed, but now that I have seen Letters From Iwo Jima, I feel that Clint Eastwood was stiffed by the committee because he has already won each award twice for both Million Dollar Baby and Unforgiven.

Go and rent this movie! It is both beautiful and inspiring to watch.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote