Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Best U.S cities to live in?

I like my city. Been here 5 years and have no plans of leaving. Summer kinda sucks, but other than that, not many complaints.

My personal list of best cities to live (if I could live anywhere):

1) Charleston, SC

2) Raleigh, NC

3) Norfolk, VA

Dunking on everybody in the park

The city of Not Cleveland.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

I love big cities, as well as nature...The ideal situation is to have a place in the city and then a lake house/beach house retreat. And I know several people with that set up here in Dallas.

Cities are where the action is...it's where the people are...I like being in the middle of that. They can also be every bit as beautiful as nature can IMO. I have a friend of the family who owns a penthouse high up in the middle of downtown...the view is absolutely fckin beautiful.

^^^to me that is more visually interesting than say a view of the ocean. BOTH are great though.

I'd love to live in NYC, beautiful city w/ culture, and low crime rate. Very expensive though, which does suck.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    I'd love to live in NYC, beautiful city w/ culture, and low crime rate. Very expensive though, which does suck.
    I just can't have people all up in my shit.

Bought a house in a neighborhood, little over half acre yards. First thing I did was build a 6ft fence.

It really depends on your taste. I fully agree with Prime's post, I love nature but I like living in the city at the same time...and btw that Penthouse view is orgasmic.

But I would NEVER even consider moving to Phoenix. Sorry, I've lived in Florida for far too long and the heat here has made me seriously consider moving somewhere up north, let alone living in the desert. Don't get me wrong, I like Florida and like mlh said, the only REALLY BAD part is the summer, but I wan't to change it up a bit and move somewhere where they actually have all 4 seasons. And somewhere where summer is dope and not hot as balls to the point where driving anywhere requires you to turn your car on and have the air condition running for 5 minutes before you even think about siting inside.

I don't know if it snows in Dallas, but that city looks gorgeous. Austin has been on my mind recently with their tech boom, and it isn't ridiculously expensive to live there yet like other tech citys (San Fran, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    My personal list of best cities to live (if I could live anywhere):

1) Charleston, SC

2) Raleigh, NC

3) Norfolk, VA

I've vacationed in NC a number of times, really nice place and climate. Never been to Raleigh but that pic looks nice.

Virginia has always interested me but people that have moved down here in FL from Virginia/Maryland/Delaware have always said that the traffic there is insane and that it is quite overpopulated. Idk, but all three of those states seems perfect to me. Summer not too hot, winter not too cold, they all have beaches, all have mountains...it's like a little bit of everything. All they are missing is some quality sports teams.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    It really depends on your taste. I fully agree with Prime's post, I love nature but I like living in the city at the same time...and btw that Penthouse view is orgasmic.

But I would NEVER even consider moving to Phoenix. Sorry, I've lived in Florida for far too long and the heat here has made me seriously consider moving somewhere up north, let alone living in the desert. Don't get me wrong, I like Florida and like mlh said, the only REALLY BAD part is the summer, but I wan't to change it up a bit and move somewhere where they actually have all 4 seasons. And somewhere where summer is dope and not hot as balls to the point where driving anywhere requires you to turn your car on and have the air condition running for 5 minutes before you even think about siting inside.

I don't know if it snows in Dallas, but that city looks gorgeous. Austin has been on my mind recently with their tech boom, and it isn't ridiculously expensive to live there yet like other tech citys (San Fran, for example).
    Dallas' summers are awful too...but we do have 4 seasons...get occasional snow once or twice a year.

We aren't nearly as humid as Florida either...really that's what it is in Florida, the air is just damp and you feel sweaty, you can set your clock to the rain every day. Dallas is hot as fck in the summer, but it is a much more dry heat compared to Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo

I spent the first 30 years of my life experiencing all 4 seasons. I do miss seeing the occasional snowfall, as I personally haven't seen snow in 5 years. My fiancee is 30 years old, a Tampa native, and has NEVER seen snow. We have been up north a few times during the cold weather months, but didn't see anything. I just find winter in the north/midwest to be depressing, but different strokes for different folks. Some people really like the variety. I think the thing I miss the most is the leaves on the trees changing colors in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981
    I spent the first 30 years of my life experiencing all 4 seasons. I do miss seeing the occasional snowfall, as I personally haven't seen snow in 5 years. My fiancee is 30 years old, a Tampa native, and has NEVER seen snow. We have been up north a few times during the cold weather months, but didn't see anything. I just find winter in the north/midwest to be depressing, but different strokes for different folks. Some people really like the variety. I think the thing I miss the most is the leaves on the trees changing colors in the fall.

THAT is what I want man, I was in Tennessee and NC last fall and it was beautiful...I could literally sit and stare at the scenery for hours, it's like someone painted the trees.

I'm the same as your fiance, never seen REAL SNOW in my life. It snowed once when I was in Switzerland, and another time in ATL, but very very light. I went to Bosnia in December about 3 years ago with my sister for the sole purpose of experiencing real winter and living in snow for a month, but of course we brought the Florida sun with us We ended up going back to Florida in mid January and wouldn't you know it, it snowed 3 days after we left lmfao. Bad luck.

Seattle

Excellent mix of city & nature over here. City life is strong and so many places to enjoy the natural world. Many lakes around giving you nice lake view if you want or if you prefer the downtown view. Cost isn't as high as like SF either.

Yeah I know, it rains a lot. But the summers are really nice (like 70-80) and you don't have to go outside when it's raining lbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    Are there even any "good" American cities to live in? Most of them seem like vast, air-conditioned urban jungles to me, packed in with ugly ass skyscrapers and endless traffic.

American cities are gash.
    Meh, Pittsburgh is cool with me. Relatively small and all of the best parts are in neighborhoods surrounding downtown that don't really feel like a city. Lots of parks and options for outdoorsy type shit and drinking culture is more relaxed. Great Lakes (at least Erie) are a pretty short drive which is nice. Surprisingly good museum city too thanks to Carnegie pillaging the earth and then donating all his money lol.

I kind of like the concrete jungle aspect of a lot of cities but not sure I'd enjoy it as a full time resident.

I've lived in or spent significant time in most top large metro areas from Wisconsin, south to Tennessee and east to NYC. They're all places I wouldn't/didn't mind living in. Even the ones most people consider shitty; Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc. still have great food, neighborhoods, bar districts, music venues, museums, zoos, botanical gardens, art festivals, etc.

California is out of the question if COL is a criteria other than say Sacramento or some other parts in Northern California. I would also recommend some other places in the Pacific Northwest.

East Coast is expensive and humid AF (I haven't been to the Carolinas or Virginia), Midwest is kinda boring outside of Chicago and you must embrace the snow and cold weather and Texas is humid and too Southern for me unless you live in the big cities and once your outside those cities you're in Texas.

Nowadays most big cities have decent amount of restaurants, shows, activities, etc to keep you busy if that's your main criteria.
    Last edited by ALBballer; 06-06-2016 at 06:49 PM.