Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: WTF is an anti-Columbus day protest?

Quote Originally Posted by kurple
    because america would have never been found had it not been for Columbus. lol

he wasnt even first there
    You can apply that logic to anything, somebody would do it, well that someone is Columbus, you are ridiculous, trying to take away what he did by giving credit to a hypothetical person who would have done what Columbus actually did.

It's hilarious really, like early Americans didn't slaughter, brought diseases and forced Native Americans to move out of their land

If you're anti Columbus you're anti America

   

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller
    It's hilarious really, like early Americans didn't slaughter, brought diseases and forced Native Americans to move out of their land
    other than the aztecs and the incas, americans had a pretty great arrangement before columbus came along.

the various tribes could do their thing, there was plenty of land and resources, and the whole thing was sustainable as a mofo, unlike today.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    That's an unfair assessment of a different moment in time.

Back then he was labeled a hero, an adventurer, an explorer.

Just because society changes over time does not make our past any less credible or acceptable than our current society today.

LMAO, you guys really don't know shit, do you??

Can you tell me why the great "hero" Columbus was jailed in Spain, then? Why would they charge a HERO with war crimes?

It's shocking how easily persuaded some of you are, even if you have no knowledge in the subject of discussion, you will STILL voice an opinion just because you can. No matter if there is no research, knowledge, fact or reasoning behind what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    Agreed. It's irresponsible to judge someone from over 500 years with the moral lens of today.

Indigenous lifestyles are absolutely to be respected but they aren't innocent in all of this.

What do you mean by that?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    It's shocking how easily persuaded some of you are, even if you have no knowledge in the subject of discussion, you will STILL voice an opinion just because you can. No matter if there is no research, knowledge, fact or reasoning behind what you say.

What do you mean by that?
    Native American tribes wouldn't raid each other or fight over territory?

This fact seem to get lost when white imperialism comes up.

I agree with gigantes that the lifestyle was very sustainable and is probably the best way to combat climate change.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    Native American tribes wouldn't raid each other or fight over territory?

This fact seem to get lost when white imperialism comes up.

I agree with gigantes that the lifestyle was very sustainable and is probably the best way to combat climate change.
    How does that make what Columbus and company did acceptable?? They gave the natives disease infested blankets, hw can you even compare that to anything?

And no, it is not a guarantee that the Native's would of killed themselves off over territory...dumbest thing I've ever heard. "if we didn't kill them off, they would of just done it to themselves" And you claim it as a fact Jesssuussss, how did you become so smart is all I wanna know. I bet you're an atheist too, right?

Super Handsome East River Livn''s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    nah... just calling out a major piece of shit for being a major piece of shit.

just because a bunch of other assholes came along and benefited from him doesn't change any of that.

at the same time-- gotta give him props for having some king kong-sized balls and changing history in a whole bunch of ways.
    But he's partially right. People tend to look for the faults of white heroes while ignoring the faults of heroes of color. MLK was a self described man of God who spouted of morality to the masses yet frequently visited prostitutes. Nelson Mandela was a terrorist, Ghandi was an incestuous misogynist who harbored some racist views. We are expected to look for faults of our white heroes, but it is taboo even considered racist by many to point out the faults of non white heroes.

Not saying they didn't fight over territory or have wars, of course they did...but they for sure (FACT!!) wouldn't of reduced their numbers from hundreds of millions to 1.something million the way Columbus and others did.

   

Quote Originally Posted by East River Livn'
    But he's partially right. People tend to look for the faults of white heroes while ignoring the faults of heroes of color. MLK was a self described man of God who spouted of morality to the masses yet frequently visited prostitutes. Nelson Mandela was a terrorist, Ghandi was an incestuous misogynist who harbored some racist views. We are expected to look for faults of our white heroes, but it is taboo even considered racist by many to point out the faults of non white heroes.
    the KMFDM principle.

also, turkeys are everywhere.

How does that make what Columbus and company did acceptable?? They gave the natives disease infested blankets, hw can you even compare that to anything?

And no, it is not a guarantee that the Native's would of killed themselves off over territory...dumbest thing I've ever heard. "if we didn't kill them off, they would of just done it to themselves" And you claim it as a fact Jesssuussss, how did you become so smart is all I wanna know. I bet you're an atheist too, right?
    Because that sort of thing was pretty ****ing common 500 years ago...

'But how could Native's cut out the heart of a living person and eat it?'

Because... that also was pretty ****ing common 500 years ago.

You understand we live in different times, right?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Is it fact that Europeans gave disease infected blankets right off the bet or were just simply exposed to it through normal means?

They had no natural immunity to these diseases like Europeans did. It was hardly intentional but unfortunate. I mean, how could they really have known that was going to happen?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

every civilization to ever exist has conquered lands and removed others.. that's life for every thing

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

I'm not going to bother to protest but I certainly don't celebrate Columbus. As has been outlined, he was an asshole. Would we have the exact same USA if he had never existed? No. But that doesn't mean we have to celebrate him when we know he was a vile human being.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    every civilization to ever exist has conquered lands and removed others.. that's life for every thing
    I'm not even gonna get started arguing.

You right man, genocide is the way of life for us humans, it's the way we conquer land. It's fair game. What the Serbs did to us Bosnians, it's normal to kill men, women, and children for land. No problems. If hitler was killing Jews for their land, that too would of been fair game.

Thanks for showing me the right way homie, that's just life.