Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Cavs fire coach Scott!?

The Cleveland Cavaliers have released Head Coach Byron Scott, the team announced today from Cleveland Clinic Courts. The announcement was made by Cavaliers General Manager Chris Grant.

“I have tremendous respect for Byron professionally and a great deal of admiration for him personally. At the same time, it is critical for where we are as a team to ensure that we capitalize on every opportunity for development and success and we have fallen short of that on the court,” said Grant. “I believe we needed to make this change in order to get to a better position to achieve our goals. I know I speak on behalf of the entire Cavs organization and the Cleveland community, in thanking Byron for his three years here and his hard work and many contributions on and off the court. We wish Bryon and his wife, Anita, the best.”

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=13076#ixzz2Qpd3GG6e
    Last edited by insidehoops; 04-18-2013 at 12:07 PM.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Cavs fire coach Scott!?

Damn... Knew there was a good chance it would happen today. I feel for him. He was put in an impossible spot.

Then again, it did seem like he may have lost the team in the second half of the season.

I'm not crazy about the move, but it will depend on his replacement.

i liked the guy, our offense wasnt bad, and tristan, kyrie and dion all developed pretty nicely under him (not to give him all the credit), but the defense was always a mess, not just disorganised, but tristan and andy were the only guys who seemed to consistently try on that end.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I'm not crazy about the move, but it will depend on his replacement.
    yeah, there arent any obvious candidates out there

phil jackson maybe?

[COLOR="White"]obviously j/k[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    marc stein just retweeted it, so that brings a bit more legitimacy
    Figured if it was going to happen, it would be done before Grant did his end-of-season presser.

pretty relevant stat from john scumman:

Re: Byron Scott - The Cavs are the only team to rank in the bottom 5 in defensive efficiency each of the last 3 seasons.

yeah, there arent any obvious candidates out there

phil jackson maybe?

[COLOR="White"]obviously j/k[/COLOR]
    The names I've heard tossed around are Brian Shaw (who was a finalist the last time around), Stan Van Gundy, Mike Malone.... And, yes, Mike Brown (not kidding).

stan van gundy would be the dream scenario, hes one of the better coaches in the world imo, those magic teams were always good defensively, and while we dont have a dwight howard type anchor to build around, their whole team seemed really organised, and got the very most out of their talent.

he seems pretty forward thinking too, one of the first teams to really dive into the efficiency stats, avoiding mid-range js, and focusing on layups and threes.

im a big fan of stan van gundy.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

The names I've heard tossed around are Brian Shaw (who was a finalist the last time around), Stan Van Gundy, Mike Malone.... And, yes, Mike Brown (not kidding).

TBH i like Mike Brown, he gets a bad rap but he's a solid coach, his D was a big part in getting the cavs to the finals in 07.

I like Scott Skiles too. Who knows though.

I'm also not crazy about the move.

Saw a basketball once

inb4 the lakers fire d'antoni and hire Scott. The only logical step after Brown and Pringles

Local High School Star TheReturn's Avatar

I'd like to see SvG back coaching a team.

stan van gundy would be the dream scenario, hes one of the better coaches in the world imo, those magic teams were always good defensively, and while we dont have a dwight howard type anchor to build around, their whole team seemed really organised, and got the very most out of their talent.

he seems pretty forward thinking too, one of the first teams to really dive into the efficiency stats, avoiding mid-range js, and focusing on layups and threes.

im a big fan of stan van gundy.
    My biggest thing with SVG are his issues with superstar players in Orlando and Miami, most notably Dwight and Shaq. I believe those were the two guys who sealed his fate at each successive stop.

There's not doubt he has the goods from an X's and O's standpoint. The big question has always been, can he relate to these high profile players.

Now, with all of that said, I'd welcome him in if he's the choice.

Local High School Star

My biggest thing with SVG are his issues with superstar players in Orlando and Miami, most notably Dwight and Shaq. I believe those were the two guys who sealed his fate at each successive stop.

There's not doubt he has the goods from an X's and O's standpoint. The big question has always been, can he relate to these high profile players.

Now, with all of that said, I'd welcome him in if he's the choice.
    Dwight and Shaq are pretty special, most high profile players aren't nearly that immature.

Quote Originally Posted by comerb
    Dwight and Shaq are pretty special, most high profile players aren't nearly that immature.
    This is true. My biggest concern, quite honestly, would probably be Dion. He seems like a pretty particular kind of guy... As in, he either gets on with you or doesn't.

Still I like SVG and I think he'd be a good choice. I have no doubt he'll be contacted. I think he, Shaw and Malone will be the primary initial candidates.

That is really just a guess and based on a few things I've heard around town.

If Grant & Co. really think defense is the main issue, Mike Brown could become part of that main group as well.