Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stocks

High School Starter

Default Stocks

I have a question, I want to put money into a stock that I saw interesting. If i put 500 dollars is that too little? Right now at 42 dollars the stock that I want to buy. Thanks

Default Re: Stocks

Quote Originally Posted by netsfan549
    I have a question, I want to put money into a stock that I saw interesting. If i put 500 dollars is that too little? Right now at 42 dollars the stock that I want to buy. Thanks
    Can you afford to lose more than $500? Because that is the way you should think of it. You can afford about 12 shares of this stock so if it goes to $50, you will make $96. If it goes to zero you will lose all your cash. You, of course, can get out before it hits zero.

But it terms of too little, that's hard to say unless we know what you can afford to lose.

NBA Superstar

yeah you can, buy as many shares as you want. i don't think there is a minimum as long as you can afford a share, but i'm sure you can buy $500~ worth

problem is even if it does take off you have so few shares at a high price per share, your profit margin is extremely low.

but it is a nice way of familiarizing yourself with the stock market.

if you want to make real money with that low capital, try some penny stocks. watch them for a few weeks. they bounce like crazy, you can do quick 3 days turns on maybe $500 worth of a .18 stock, which jumps to say .27, and you're making .09 on every share, with mass shares...or even look at it as almost doubling your money(which would be at .36 if it got there). the bigger market really requires a ton of money to turn good profits imo. obviously penny stocks are extremely risky but if you follow it enough you'll see how they bounce with very little rhyme or reason, just have to weed out the shady/bad ones. follow something like xideq for a few weeks and see for yourself....altho thats on the verge of BK. a lot of people have turned this over and over in mass volume with couple penny jumps. key to everything is buy at low points or temporary bad news drops.
    Last edited by Godzuki; 07-09-2014 at 09:54 PM.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Can you afford to lose more than $500? Because that is the way you should think of it. You can afford about 12 shares of this stock so if it goes to $50, you will make $96. If it goes to zero you will lose all your cash. You, of course, can get out before it hits zero.

But it terms of too little, that's hard to say unless we know what you can afford to lose.
    I can afford to lose 500 dollars..

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    yeah you can, buy as many shares as you want. i don't think there is a minimum as long as you can afford a share, but i'm sure you can buy $500~ worth

problem is even if it does take off you have so few shares at a high price per share, your profit margin is extremely low.

but it is a nice way of familiarizing yourself with the stock market.

if you want to make real money with that low capital, try some penny stocks. watch them for a few weeks. they bounce like crazy, you can do quick 3 days turns on maybe $500 worth of a .18 stock, which jumps to say .27, and you're making .09 on every share, with mass shares. the bigger market really requires a ton of money to turn good profits imo. obviously penny stocks are extremely risky but if you follow it enough you'll see how they bounce with very little rhyme or reason, just have to weed out the shady/bad ones. follow something like xideq for a few weeks and see for yourself....altho thats on the verge of BK.
    Yeah, I am looking at GREEN ENDEAVORS. thoughts? lol

NBA Superstar

Yeah, I am looking at GREEN ENDEAVORS. thoughts? lol

lol i have no idea. there is SO MUCH out there no one person could know everything, even if it seems like they talk it.

its really about becoming a expert of a few stocks you can follow imo, or know the company, and all that. nobody is going to know much about everything across the board, not even stock brokers. just so much to possibly invest in with so much to each, that they could never possibly know that much about it all.

500 is way to little. but if you just want to do it for fun then do it. you need atleast 10k to start off really. always split up your portfolio to 5 different stocks.

also if you are only investing 500 dollars, that would cost around 30 dollars to buy and then to trade it which is already 6% of your investment.
    Last edited by nathanjizzle; 07-09-2014 at 10:39 PM.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Follow and search Timothy Sykes. Sign up for his $100 a month silver plan and he will text you every time he is about to buy a penny stock and he also tells you when he is going to sell. That plan also provides hundreds of video lessons and webinars. I'm more into foreign currency trading but I know one person making low six figures with his plan. The person learned enough from Timothy Sykes to start trading on his own now but Tim's platform was literally the best thing for a new beginner because he literally spoonfed you everything before he was about to do it.

High School Starter

Thanks everybody

I Google him a lot of scams report came up

NBA All-star

I can afford to lose 500 dollars..

then puchase it. let it sit there. if you follow it, you can sell it when you think its matured. and if you don't, you can always just set what's the profit you want.

with the first strategy, you can at least not risk 500 dollars, which means you are then essentially purchasing the stock price at 21 dollars with less shares. so you can sell when it's at 250, and look at it as you've lost everything.

with the second strategy, your profit may never fully mature, or you never know when it does. so set a whats the price you'd sell as well, just so you can be sure that your asset is liquidated. and you don't really just LOSE 500 dollars. like an emergency fund.

Serious playground baller

Thanks everybody

I Google him a lot of scams report came up
    If there were "systems" that gave guaranteed or even likely earnings when followed, the people who thought of them would tell absolutely no one and earn billions.

If you want to spend 500 dollars that you can afford to lose on a stock you find interesting, there's no reason why you shouldn't.
    For larger amounts index funds are a better option (they have the largest diversification and the smaller risk) or you could still pick some stocks if you were willing to spend a lot of time researching companies and bought shares based on reason and not on hype.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by Oly BC
    If there were "systems" that gave guaranteed or even likely earnings when followed, the people who thought of them would tell absolutely no one and earn billions.

If you want to spend 500 dollars that you can afford to lose on a stock you find interesting, there's no reason why you shouldn't.
    For larger amounts index funds are a better option (they have the largest diversification and the smaller risk) or you could still pick some stocks if you were willing to spend a lot of time researching companies and bought shares based on reason and not on hype.

paying the mortgage rate when you are purchasing a house as well as the taxes and maintenance fee

or rent.

edit: I'm encouraging him to go with his instinct

Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    Follow and search Timothy Sykes. Sign up for his $100 a month silver plan and he will text you every time he is about to buy a penny stock and he also tells you when he is going to sell. That plan also provides hundreds of video lessons and webinars. I'm more into foreign currency trading but I know one person making low six figures with his plan. The person learned enough from Timothy Sykes to start trading on his own now but Tim's platform was literally the best thing for a new beginner because he literally spoonfed you everything before he was about to do it.
    I can't tell if you're serious but if you are indeed still living at home with your parents and sister then you need to stop listening to any get rich quick schemes, which include Sykes.

Sykes' main method is nothing ground-breaking. Look up stocks have been rapidly rising in the past few days, go search their 10Ks and look for keywords that scream "PUMP" and look to short the stock. There's nothing wrong with that method inherently, but there's a ton of frictional costs he doesn't mention at all.

In order to short the type of stocks that can actually be pumped you're looking at micro cap stocks which are usually not traded on large exchanges. So you've first got to activate margin trading, which can cost you something at your broker. Then because these stocks are so small, they aren't extremely liquid or high in volume. That's why you'll see Sykes only shorting 3k worth of stocks at a time on his youtube videos, because he has to cover his short. With little volume = little supply and you'll end up buying on what's called a dead-cat bounce (all the shorters covering their initial shorts).

Lastly, there's only a few exchanges that will even offer you the ability to short microstocks, and most of those will charge you much more per transaction than your typical $7 per trade on Scott-trade.

If you want to get into high frequency trading or even swing trading you will most likely be coming up in the red compared to buying a basic index fund. For every Sykes student that makes 100k, there's 10 that lose 1 million.

OP, if you actually want to get into investing in stocks, first invest in a personal finance book at the minimum. You can also sign up for free personal investing lessons on cousera.

Going on youtube and looking up moving average crossover methods or Sykes' get rich methods are a sure shot way of getting yourself into trouble.

NBA All-star

transaction cost and commission fee is a bitch by the way

$500

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

Just play the lottery bro same shiite