Default I don't understand how I travelled

So I catch the ball, hop step as I catched the ball, fake shot, dribble on my right hand and drive to the right. Then the ref called it a travel, I didn't get to ask after the game. Perhaps when I started to drive right after faking the shot, I lifted my right foot and stepped through then dribbled the ball? I am really not sure...

It is annoying because I am so used to faking the shot after a hop step. How can I fix this?

Thanks boys

Serious playground baller

Default Re: I don't understand how I travelled

Quote Originally Posted by Jyap9675
    So I catch the ball, hop step as I catched the ball, fake shot, dribble on my right hand and drive to the right. Then the ref called it a travel, I didn't get to ask after the game. Perhaps when I started to drive right after faking the shot, I lifted my right foot and stepped through then dribbled the ball? I am really not sure...

It is annoying because I am so used to faking the shot after a hop step. How can I fix this?

Thanks boys
    If you had a foot in contact with the ground before you jumped it would be a walk. It would also be a travel if you landed 1-2 then stepped with 1 as you took off. Players travel much more than it's called. The rule states you can never lift and plant your pivot but I see players do it all the time

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

did you land on both feet simultaneously after your jump stop? because only then are you allowed a pivot foot.

Thanks boys
    if you didnt come to a two point stop when you caught it and moved your pivot foot when you faked for the shot, that's a travel. Get's called all the time in my leagues and no one ever knows why they travelled because they weren't taught that you ALWAYS come to a two point jump stop when you catch the ball. Two point jump stop is your friend

Referees in the Barangay League are trigger happy in calling this violations.

this really helped me tremendously!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcoUc6K-g9k

Serious playground baller

this really helped me tremendously!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcoUc6K-g9k
    Great video, I think the last two are illegal in high school and college though where you get a gather step and a step not a gather and two steps

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    did you land on both feet simultaneously after your jump stop? because only then are you allowed a pivot foot.
    yea but it seems people are super lenient with that. lol. People take some ****ing epic jump stops in college and pros. I think it's more likely that he just moved his feet before putting the ball down.

IMO if you are fast, it's pretty hard to get a good explosion while dribbling properly. Luckily, they are lenient on that, too.

-Smak