Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Default Re: KG is the dirtiest player in NBA History

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    Bowen's elbow never landed anyone in the hospital with concussion the way Malone did to DRob.
    well i even forgot about that. I was too busy thinking about when he elbow broke nash's nose

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    well i even forgot about that. I was too busy thinking about when he elbow broke nash's nose
    karl malone's trail of destruction:

david robinson- concussion
    isiah thomas- 40 stitches
    steve nash- knocked out tooth
    joe klein- broken nose, plastic surgery required
    david ramer- career ending, multiple head injuries; depressed cheekbone, fractures above and below his right eye socket and a collapsed sinus

Some of members on here may not remember KG's rookie year in the league. He was drafted June of 1995.

During the preseason and regular season of his rookie year, he was bullied by many veterans. Most notably Cedric Ceballos and Glenn Robinson of all people.

KG was the first of the relatively recent trend of HS kids by passing college ball straight for the NBA. And back then veterans didn't take it well that an unproven kid like KG being drafted so high with little experience compared to the other draft candidates.

So they showed him up and hazed him probably more harshly than a rookie with some college experience.

I guess it traumatized to the point of KG the victim of the bully becomes a bully himself.

Kg has some vendetta with outsiders or people who are different from him (not saying he's racist). But in HS in his home state of SC, he was involved in some brawl and got in trouble because of it and had to move to Chicago before his senior year. He has trust issues with will alienate anyone not from his team or small circle of close ones.

That's my attempt as an armchair psychiatrist. lol.
    Last edited by 9512; 01-19-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Cedric Ceballos?

That's so strange I actually laughed. I'd never guess.

I rule the local playground bukowski81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    When was that?? The only time i remember Nash vs the Spurs with a broken nose is when he crashed heads with Parker.

Edit: Oh i guess you were talling about Malone, not Bowen

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Teanett
    karl malone's trail of destruction:

david robinson- concussion
    isiah thomas- 40 stitches
    steve nash- knocked out tooth
    joe klein- broken nose, plastic surgery required
    david ramer- career ending, multiple head injuries; depressed cheekbone, fractures above and below his right eye socket and a collapsed sinus
    Peter May, columnist for the Boston Globe, noted that "Shawn Bradley was called for a technical after getting kicked in the stomach on one of Malone's 'kick jumpers.' Bradley crumpled to the floor in pain. Said the Mailman, 'When a Volkswagen hits an 18-wheeler, what's the result going to be?'"
    ----------
    After a game in which Malone sent Atlanta Hawk Sidney Moncrief sprawling,
    according to Sports Illustrated, fellow Hawk, Dominique Wilkins stung the
    Mailman with a rebuke, to this effect: "You're a cheap-shot artist. You're
    not a man. You always go out there to hurt somebody smaller than you."

----------
    Hakeem Olajuwon said, "You can go all the way back to college. He's always played that way." Olajuwon was playing for the University of Houston when Rice University center Dave Ramer had his career ended by an "inadvertent" Malone elbow. In that incident, which ended Ramer's career, Malone's coach had to force him to apologize to Ramer as he writhed on the floor in agony.
    ----------
    (AP) -- On Tuesday night, Golden State forward Donyell Marshall suffered season-ending broken ribs when he set up to take a charge from Malone, changed his mind at the last second, turned and took Malone's knee in the ribs.
    -----------
    Malone's latest critic is Phoenix coach Danny Ainge, who waited until he was safely out of the Delta Center before speaking his mind. The day after Malone sent Suns center Joe Kleine to the hospital for 30 stitches, Ainge expressed indignation to the Arizona Republic over Malone's attitude.

"Karl showed zero remorse," Ainge said. "All he's done is bash Joe and Luc Longley. All he does is play dirty and show no remorse for the players he leaves injured on the floor."

"You never know which Karl Malone is doing the talking, anyway," he continued. "Is it the one who says he's never playing in Utah again? Or the one who is crying at a podium after renegotiating his contract for the fifth time? Or is it the one who refers to himself in the third person? You might as well call him Sibyl."

"If this was the first time Karl had done it, you could excuse it," he said. "But after David Robinson, Elliot Perry, Derek Smith, Joe, Luc, there's a pattern."

Local High School Star

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by LONGTIME

stuff like this actually happens more often than you'd think

The bottom line is Bowen is the only player in history to start 500 consecutive games (you'd think he was in trouble often - he wasn't), and when closely inspected by any serious basketball fan you'd find he's pretty harmless. Pesky as a mother****er... but harmless.

Put Bowen in the 80s and 90s and the guy would blend right in and his defensive pressure would be a non-issue..... but, today's league is soft.

He's reckless at times, not what I'd call "dirty". That's not an excuse (reckless can be dangerous) but it's a big difference than being malicious and deliberately violent (Karl Malone). Bowen straddled the line between Legal D and Illegal D, something players have done for decades, and he did it well. But he wasn't flat out dirty.

Bowen is 1 of only 6 swingmen to make the All-defensive team 7+ times in a row

- Bowen
    - Pippen
    - Jones
    - Havlicek
    - Cooper
    - Frazier

Very elite company, defense-wise.

Bowen is dirty, not reckless. He intentionally puts his feet under other people when they shoot jumpers so they are afraid to shoot when he comes near them. THat's not reckless, that's dirty. Want to know how you measure? Reckless you get mad, someone pushes you aside, you calm down. Dirty, punch in the head. If someone runs over when you are in the air and sticks their foot out so you land on it, you'd punch them.

The grabbing, clutching, occasionaly hard foul, tangle on the floor, that shit happens. But no one can explain away to me the fact he 'd slide under people. That was ridiculous.

I noticed it too but its not the first time he did that to marco.

While Marco was a warrior he did this to him
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAfp6ZCsvGc

You cant really tell if actually throws an elbow or just pushes him or atleast i cant tell
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuW_puuOc8E

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Bowen is dirty, not reckless. He intentionally puts his feet under other people when they shoot jumpers so they are afraid to shoot when he comes near them. THat's not reckless, that's dirty. Want to know how you measure? Reckless you get mad, someone pushes you aside, you calm down. Dirty, punch in the head. If someone runs over when you are in the air and sticks their foot out so you land on it, you'd punch them.

The grabbing, clutching, occasionaly hard foul, tangle on the floor, that shit happens. But no one can explain away to me the fact he 'd slide under people. That was ridiculous.
    Eh, out of the 900+ games he played, there's a handful of incidences... that's an indictment to the overreaction of young internet fans who cry foul.

It's no coincidence that the players who complained about him were also getting shut down by him (Allen, Carter, etc). Couldn't take the heat.

Bowen was respected by GM's, DPOY voters, and many people within basketball. He was doing nothing that wasn't going on in Basketball for decades (Stockton used the same tactics). Having watched him play more than just 6 or 7 games, I can tell you he wasn't dirty. But he was relentless and at times reckless... that's the kind of player you want.

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    stuff like this actually happens more often than you'd think

Rondo-House kick

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Eh, out of the 900+ games he played, there's a handful of incidences... that's an indictment to the overreaction of young internet fans who cry foul.

It's no coincidence that the players who complained about him were also getting shut down by him (Allen, Carter, etc). Couldn't take the heat.

Bowen was respected by GM's, DPOY voters, and many people within basketball. He was doing nothing that wasn't going on in Basketball for decades (Stockton used the same tactics). Having watched him play more than just 6 or 7 games, I can tell you he wasn't dirty. But he was relentless and at times reckless... that's the kind of player you want.

Being a San Antonio fan doesn't mean you know this better. You're only defending Bowen because he's a Spur. He was a super dirty player. Those kicks are not the kind of random things that happen. I've seen it happen randomly, in person on a playground...but not like that. That Wally clip was ridiculous. But it's only one of two. He was a dirty player in general. Stockton was dirty but he wasn't dirty to the extent Bowen was.

He wouldn't fit in in different eras. Being physical is not his problem. Amare use to go hog wild on the Spurs, and he complained. It's not just guys who get shut down. And putting up the shortlist of guys who make the All-Defensive Team 7 straight times...how is that anywhere near relevant? Are you trying to tell me that the GM's and coaches wouldn't pick him if he was that dirty? Because Malone made the All-NBA First Team 11 straight times and was 1st Team All-Defense 3 years in a row, while Bowen was in the league. I just don't get the point of that...it does nothing to show Bowen wasn't dirty. He was.
    Last edited by Whoah10115; 01-19-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    Being a San Antonio fan doesn't mean you know this better. You're only defending Bowen because he's a Spur. He was a super dirty player. Those kicks are not the kind of random things that happen. I've seen it happen randomly, in person on a playground...but not like that. That Wally clip was ridiculous. But it's only one of two. He was a dirty player in general. Stockton was dirty but he wasn't dirty to the extent Bowen was. Bowen was a dirty player.
    Please man, you're just talking out of your ass. You don't know anything about me. Let's keep this discussion intelligent, instead of some "you're just a Spurs homer, therefor you're opinion is invalid" nonsense. I've watched Bowen hundreds upon hundreds of games, and that does me a credible witness. He was a tough, relentless, defender, but his dirty reputation by far exceeds him. How come there weren't more incidences if he played 900+ games? Simple answer... he wasn't that dirty... No where near the ballpark of the bad boy pistons or malone.

And no offense man, but it seems like this is your first time seeing the Wally clip? How long have you been watching the NBA and the Spurs if I may ask?

Very good NBA starter

for the sake of the thread, here's a fun little article from 2001.

Dirty is a matter of interpretation, and in the NBA, dirty isn't necessarily a bad thing. It translates into getting away with whatever you can. Fans who voted in a usatoday.com survey were right to look no further than Utah to find two of the all-time best at getting away with not-so-clean play.

Between them, Karl Malone and John Stockton got 46.4 percent of the vote as the dirtiest player. Malone led the way with 31.9 percent, Portland's Rasheed Wallace was a close second with 29.4 percent and Stockton finished third with 14.5 percent of the vote.

Stockton is my pick. He knows the little tricks -- pulling a defender down as he falls after a shot, slyly jumping into defenders and getting the calls to go his way, slickly grabbing and holding when no referee can see it and just being a physical, tough, no-nonsense guy. I want him on my team, definitely.

Malone is so big and strong. Opponents have a tendency to get knocked out of the way when he wants to rid himself of them. He also protects his teammates. Remember when Isiah Thomas knocked Stockton silly on one play, and the next time they played Malone went upside Thomas's head to the tune of about 20 stitches? He can watch my back.

Wallace: He isn't dirty; he just has a dirty mouth.

Chicago's Charles Oakley (13.2 percent). He is the original enforcer. He sets a mean pick and will call out teammates, opponents and coaches. Remember, he once slapped Jeff McInnis of the Los Angeles Clippers as his team was going onto the floor for a shootaround. But McInnis has company. Oakley also smacked Tyrone Hill, with Philadelphia at the time, in the face before the start of a preseason game last year.

Milwaukee's Anthony Mason (6.3 percent). He gets into more trouble off the court than he does on it.

Philadelphia's Dikembe Mutombo (4.6 percent). He is too awkward and clumsy looking to be dirty. His elbows just flail, and he catches teammates as often as he does opponents.
    http://www.makingpages.org/hoops/200...rtiest-NBA.pdf