Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Default Very disturbing charts on the wealth imbalance in USA

I don't know if you all saw this, but it was on yahoo about a week ago. I kept putting it off, but I finally decided to post the charts here. All I know is that they disturbed me a bit, and they ARE from reliable sources - Harvard, Yale, University of California, Congress' budget office and US Treasury department, amongst other sources (link is at the end of this post to the website blog where they were posted at). All of the sources for every single one of those graphs are listed towards the bottom of that blog post. I believe majority of the data is from before 2009 so I don't know where it is today in 2011.

Before I start, I want to say that this is extremely disturbing data. It made me sick to my stomach when I first saw it... This is exactly when capitalism stops working successfully.. One of the clauses (or points or whatever it is called) of capitalism says that capitalism is most successfully when money/capital/wealth is cycling between public/private/other sectors. As soon as that cycling stops or starts to slow down, capitalism starts to fall apart and destabilize. These graphs show exactly where that destabilization process is at right now in this country...

I don't want this to turn into a war of democrats vs republicans or liberals vs conservatives or whatever else that exists because the blame lies on everyone in this country from liberals to conservatives to democrats to republicans to federal governments to state governments to country governments to school teachers to businessmen to cops, everyone is involved in some way. The issue lies with greed and selfishness not specific groups of people. Once again, most of the graphs are from before 2007 (couple from 2010) so I don't know where it is today in 2011.

There are a couple other graphs that I cannot post here because the limit is 10 images..

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011...ca-chart-graph
    Last edited by bladefd; 02-28-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Default Re: Very disturbing charts on the wealth imbalance in USA

Explain yourself, Vapid!

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

homie this is why you gotta get to da wall street son.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Try to keep heated political fights out of this thread if possible.
    Is it possible for this thread not to turn political? You yourself couldn't even keep politics out of the OP, that chart showing tax rates and Presidents is an unavoidable political statement in and of itself.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Is it possible for this thread not to turn political? You yourself couldn't even keep politics out of the OP, that chart showing tax rates and Presidents is an unavoidable political statement in and of itself.
    Agree with this, but the distribution of wealth in the US has gotten completely out-of-hand. There really should be outrage, but -- for some reason -- a good portion of the country doesn't seem to care.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    You can talk about politics, but just not fight like an immature 8yr old. I know for sure that there are tons of immature posters on these forums so I probably shouldn't have even mentioned that. I just said it because I don't want this to turn into a political war, but it probably will like it usually does. I wish the OPs had control over the posts in their own thread so they could delete anything that is garbage trolling.

In fact, I will remove that part right now. Thanks for reminding me of the trolls. I keep forgetting that no matter what you say to try to keep trolls out, trolls will always show up within minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Agree with this, but the distribution of wealth in the US has gotten completely out-of-hand. There really should be outrage, but -- for some reason -- a good portion of the country doesn't seem to care.

moderators are always communists/ wealth distribution has never been succesful. The people in the highest tax bracket already pay for the vast majority of public services through taxation but it ain't never enough. Fat, high school drop out, Billy Cobb definitely deserve a bigger piece of the pie

I don't know what the f*ck you guys are talking about...10% of our households make $164k a year?

that is VERY GOOD!!!

10% is A LOT OF PEOPLE!!!

hell the BOTTOM 10% makes $30k...that is pretty poor, but they are living, and that is our "dirt"...

these charts are good IMO...not bad

this country is well off!

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    moderators are always communists/ wealth distribution has never been succesful. The people in the highest tax bracket already pay for the vast majority of public services through taxation but it ain't never enough. Fat, high school drop out, Billy Cobb definitely deserve a bigger piece of the pie
    Read-up on the fall of the Middle Class, dipsh!t. Read-up on the contrast of CEO wealth to average worker and it has skyrocketed in the last couple of decades.

Why am I even responding to an obvious troll?

Quote Originally Posted by -playmaker-
    I don't know what the f*ck you guys are talking about...10% of our households make $164k a year?

that is VERY GOOD!!!

hell the BOTTOM 10% makes $30k...that is pretty poor, but they are living, and that is our "dirt"...

The problem isn't with the top 10%... The problem is with the middle... Or a lack of a middle in our current system.

The problem isn't with the top 10%... The problem is with the middle... Or a lack of a middle in our current system.
    wouldn't it be around $80k...

you can't tell me this country doesn't have a middle class...the entire nation is a giant strip mall...our middle class is enormous

it is just that the rich are just VERY VERY RICH

Local High School Star crosso√er's Avatar

Yet to most Americans, a Russian is a "commie" and should be looked down upon because their political structure wasn't up to par.

Read-up on the fall of the Middle Class, dipsh!t. Read-up on the contrast of CEO wealth to average worker and it has skyrocketed in the last couple of decades.

Why am I even responding to an obvious troll?
    the value of a service is determined by the market. Sorry if you work on an assembly line at an auto plant you don't deserve 30dollars per hour no matter what the union says.

globalization and increased competition has doomed the american middle class.

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -playmaker-

that is VERY GOOD!!!

How is it good that less than 1% of the country controls more wealth than nearly the entire population?

The 1st chart shows the top 10% and then the bottom 90% which is probably very misleading because the very low numbers from the lowest 10-20% is pulling the number lower. I'd be more interested in seeing the middle 50% or the 40-60% category because that would be indicative of the middle class.