Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sunshine State

Default Re: Syracuse PG Tyler Ennis declares for the 2014 NBA Draft.

This is already a Point Guard heavy league, he's going to struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Aren't you one of these that wants players to have a post graduate degree before entering the NBA? You should be hating this decision by him, and not worrying about where he goes.

My argument is that it would be more beneficial to the players progression and the NBA if they stayed in school for more then a year.

I understand your side of the argument about the risk of injury effecting draft position , but I was never arguing that point.

Do I believe Tyler Ennis would be better prepared day 1 of his NBA career if he stayed in school an extra year? Absolutely.

I enjoy seeing the Canadian kids in the draft because i utter detest hockey, and glad to see my countries efforts to develop basketball players is paying off.

Frankly the next CBA will put an end to discussions like this as players will be staying in school for a minimum of 2 years, or the age of 20. ( thats my guess anyhow.)

Also I'd like to point out that the general consensus is that most rookies (1 and done) aren't ready physically to play an 82 game schedule, especially big men.

Maturity is other thing...these KIDS are 18-19 years old, and are being paid multi-million dollars a year. The high draft pick are expected in most cases to lead their team, something I don't think you can be mentally prepared for after only 1 year of college.

anyhow you have your opinion and I have mine.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I'm just not sure how you come to the conclusion that staying is better for development. The HS to pros and one & dones have done better than the kids that stayed for 2 years or more.

Look at guys like Kyrie, Rose, Durant, etc who are superstars. The 2and dones have taken much longer to develop like Derrick Williams and Johnny Flynn who I am not even sure if he's still playing.

I'm just not sure how you come to the conclusion that staying is better for development. The HS to pros and one & dones have done better than the kids that stayed for 2 years or more.

Look at guys like Kyrie, Rose, Durant, etc who are superstars. The 2and dones have taken much longer to develop like Derrick Williams and Johnny Flynn who I am not even sure if he's still playing.
    For everyone that works out there is one that didn't.

Ill get back to this thread after the madness is over tonight.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RightToCensor
    LaVine is a less polished version of Westbrook. He is pretty much a smaller Gerald Green right now.

Ennis is able to create for his teammates because he is one of the more patient PGs in the draft. That is a lost art in my opinion; look how some of the best passing point guards play. Rubio, Paul, Rondo, Wall, and Lawson all play patently and look to create for their teammates before scoring themselves unlike Westbrook, Irving, and Jennings (who all would/has struggled when they were the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd option).

Ennis has that trait and if he can live up to his potential, he can be a very good PG in the future.
    Posted this in another thread why Ennis > LaVine and why he has the potential to be an very good PG in the NBA.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

I don't get the hype. Most of the attention he got was because he hit clutch shots on an undefeated team. Well they faltered, his stats are still average, and he stopped making clutch baskets.

I don't even see how he's better than Trey Burke from last year's draft.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    I don't get the hype. Most of the attention he got was because he hit clutch shots on an undefeated team. Well they faltered, his stats are still average, and he stopped making clutch baskets.

I don't even see how he's better than Trey Burke from last year's draft.
    Trey Burke is actually a decent PG, his season really took a halt from missing the beginning of the season and everyone having their eyes on MCW and Oladipo.

Burke is a bit undersized, but makes up for by his ability to score.

Ennis on the other hand is a pass-first PG with a nice ability to get in the paint.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Le Shaqtus
    This is already a Point Guard heavy league, he's going to struggle.
    Mario Chalmers and Kendall Marshall play serious minutes in this league. The thought that PG is stacked is so overblown

Sunshine State

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Mario Chalmers and Kendall Marshall play serious minutes in this league. The thought that PG is stacked is so overblown
    Marshall is an excellent Point Guard, his defense is lacking but as a play maker he is exceptional.

Chalmers is needed to shoot 3's because their real point is LeBron, so yeah he's pretty shit as a point guard on any other team.

I've never been so sure about a college point guard. He will be at least a solid contributor for his career. I see a lot of Kirk Hinrich in his game. Love this guy.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    For everyone that works out there is one that didn't.

Ill get back to this thread after the madness is over tonight.

Of course some will be busts. No player has ever been a 100% lock guarantee. But there is no proof at all that shows staying longer helps development. All it does it take away potential years of earnings for the players, and allows the teams to pay less for development.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RightToCensor
    Trey Burke is actually a decent PG, his season really took a halt from missing the beginning of the season and everyone having their eyes on MCW and Oladipo.

Burke is a bit undersized, but makes up for by his ability to score.

Ennis on the other hand is a pass-first PG with a nice ability to get in the paint.
    My post wasn't meant to put down Burke. What I meant was, Burke likely won't be CP3 or GOATbrook, or Dragic or Wall, or maybe not even Isaiah Thomas. A good PG overall, however the top quality of PGs is too high right now. There was post a couple weeks back asking where Lawson ranks in the NBA among PGs. People were saying outside the top 10 and he's an 18/9/3.5 player...

Ennis may be good overall, but what is good in this era of PGs? You take your chance on someone like Exum because his upside might break you away from that clutter of merely "good" PGs. Otherwise, I'll would rather take my chance on a... Well let's see. Ennis is projected 14th on DraftExpress. I would rather draft Gary Harris (15), Stauskas (17), Hairston (22), and McDaniels (23) of other first round picks behind him. Then you have PGs like Russ, Napier, Cotton, and Kane all projected in the 2nd or undrafted. I'm not convinced Ennis is so much more superior to any of those guys.

I mean if you need a PG then take him. I think he's a safe pick. I just wouldn't use a lottery pick on him and the safety/lack of upside (imo) maybe doesn't outweigh the lower floor/higher ceiling of other players behind him in this draft.

Those players are one and dones because they are very talented, John Wall was more talented than Johnny Flynn.

They get more physically and mentally ready from staying 2 years, their level of play in their rookie year would EVEN BETTER than what you have seen as a one and done.
    The one thing you hear about most of the one and dones, especially big men, is that they need to put on muscle and fill out their frames.

It would make the general level of play in the NBA better, there's no doubt about it.

I'd love to see the Magic draft him with their second pick