Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Boxing thread: Is Pacquiao/Mayweather really not going to happen?

Go read Sergio martinez's comments on the subject and tell me that everyone thinks its Floyd ducking. I didn't realize just how little manny had done at ww till I started looking yesterday. The only guys he's fought at the full ww limit are de la hoya(shot) clottey and margarito(shot) that's it. That's the whole list. The myth of manny the giant killer is just that, a carefully constructed myth.

NBA Superstar

So why does Pacquiao need steroids to beat shot fighters (Hatton,Cotto,margarito), old guys (Oscar, Shane) and A nobody like Clottey? That's what I don't get. People want to discredit every single one of Manny's fights, but at the same time, he needs steroids to beat these old, shot, and weight drained fighters? Which is it?

im a superhero

Quote Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
    So why does Pacquiao need steroids to beat shot fighters (Hatton,Cotto,margarito), old guys (Oscar, Shane) and A nobody like Clottey? That's what I don't get. People want to discredit every single one of Manny's fights, but at the same time, he needs steroids to beat these old, shot, and weight drained fighters? Which is it?
    your two arguments dont go hand in hand. it can be both.

Boxing is still being regulated like an amateur sport it's essentially the same as how we used to arrange a fight after school in some alley, difference is they can bring up excuses without losing rep, a luxury we did not have

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Undisputed
    I want Cotto/Mayweather II. Cotto has a great chance with some better conditioning and experience against him. Mayweather will not fight Pacquiao. It's sad, but we just have to move on.
    The first fight was competitive enough to warrant a rematch, to my surprise. Reports surfaced afterward that Mayweather had problems with his hands and was ill. Not sure if there is any truth to it, but that was reported by Dan Rafael.

Hand issues, cold don't stop Floyd

I guess we could theoretically find out if there is any truth to this and, if so, whether or not it had an impact on the action in the ring if there were a rematch.

As for Pac-Floyd... As long as Arum is involved, it has no chance of happening. I think there is an outside chance that Manny drops Top Rank, though.

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Yearning
    40 million straight... that is good enough. That would be the most Pac has made in his entire lifetime.

what a dumb comment..

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donald_trump
    yet manny fought him after and there was no such backlash.

there is always excuses against floyd. but none for manny.

everyone knows mosely was washed up for both of those fights

your two arguments dont go hand in hand. it can be both.
    Really? Please explain. Because accusing someone of steroids, means they have had super natural/unnatural performances. I just don't see anything that was so extraordinary against the guys he beat. Let's break it down, I'll start when he made his jump to lightweight (let me preface by saying many flomos have said these as well):

David Diaz - enough said
    Oscar DLH - 100yrs old, weight drained
    Hatton - Overrated, Floyd already KO him. Coke head
    Cotto - Damaged fighter
    Clottey - bum
    Margarito - nothing without plaster
    Mosley - Grandpa
    Marquez - another questionable win

Ok, so what steroid performances do we have here ? All that roid talk started up around 2009, which is around before or after Cotto fight. So he must have juiced for the likes of the dangerous David Diaz, Ricky Hatton and De La Hoya and many others before. I mean, he couldn't even beat Marquez cleanly. Is he even juicing right?!?

They say he keeps knocking out people bigger than him. But the only guy from that list where the fight ended in a KO was the Hatton fight. His KO ratio was much higher before he moved up in weight. So Manny is apparently using steroids to beat these old, weight drained, and shot fighters that were hand picked/cherry picked to make Manny look good? Riiiiight

Good college starter

yes it does when you've faced the competition he has. he's always ducking someone according to the public, then you look through his resume and he's fought all the best fighters at the time at their best weight.

Floyd did beat some good fighters but he tend to avoid fighters that public wants to see him fight. He said it best when he said he will die in the ring but when ask about Pacquiao, he said he fears his health. He's very meticulous on choosing his opponent. There was time when fight fans were screaming for him to fight Cotto and Margarito when they were at their prime but chose to fight Baldomir and now it's the mainstream sports fans who wants him to fight Pacquiao and he made every excuses to avoid him from drug tests to purse split to Arum. I mean his excuses carries a merit if you're a nitwit and Floyd apologist but the reward far outweighs his excuses and it is beyond ridiculous. The end will justify the means.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
    Floyd apologists likes to used steroid used to justify Floyd drug test demand (coward move). If they discredit every Pacquiao fights then why do Floyd need a drug test in the first place. I mean Marquez fought him 3 times and every fight is close that you can make an argument on who wins and no blood test was implemented. Does it mean that Marquez has the pair that Floyd can not grow.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    floyd's legacy to the general public, and even many boxing fans, is he ducked to keep his undefeated record. how long have people been talking about Floyd vs Pac? who is the most vocal making all of the excuses? how many celebrities or boxing afficionado's have called Floyd out? ...which carries more weight than some avg fan, especially when you put all of that sentiment together it is how a legacy is built and remembered. sure there will be floyd-tards here and there backing him 20 years from now saying the same stuff as in this thread, but there will be far more remembering him for being a loudmouth ducker. you'd have to be blind and deaf not to see mass public sentiment against floyd.

noc's about mosley, even then its dumb how people try to cite that when the bottom line is fight fans have to push Floyd into fighthing these big matchups. there wouldn't even be the necessity for any controversy if he just did it, instead of danced around it constantly. its just such a dumb point for people to cite
    when he's supposed to fight them, not be congratulated because he finally did it after everyone gave him shit for it :

either way i very much doubt history is going to remember Floyd just as much at fault as Pac if they never fight, or if its way later when its past its prime. its way too easy to say Floyd is scared and protecting his undefeated record and theres a lot of his yappin to help make that case on record.

Undefeated record is only appealing to casual fight fans but not to the real boxing fans. It's who you beat and when you beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdougie2180
    Why do people keep saying this as if saying it will make it true????

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/01/...-three-fights/

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sport...yweather-again

So again why doesn't he deserve a 50/50 split, he also said he'd do a 45/45 split with the winner getting the other 10%.
    I'm not speaking about specific fights and direct PPV buys, I'm speaking in general. Floyd Mayweather has brought more fans, money and impact to the sport of boxing than Pacquiao has and most likely ever will. People who have never watched five minutes of boxing in their life, know who Floyd Mayweather is. Pacquiao's name, although it may be unfair, is becoming synonymous with Mayweather's name. Floyd has more at risk, and his yes to this fight means much more than Pac-Man's yes. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but its the truth.

Especially since Pac really lost his last fight.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    Floyd did beat some good fighters but he tend to avoid fighters that public wants to see him fight. He said it best when he said he will die in the ring but when ask about Pacquiao, he said he fears his health. He's very meticulous on choosing his opponent. There was time when fight fans were screaming for him to fight Cotto and Margarito when they were at their prime but chose to fight Baldomir and now it's the mainstream sports fans who wants him to fight Pacquiao and he made every excuses to avoid him from drug tests to purse split to Arum. I mean his excuses carries a merit if you're a nitwit and Floyd apologist but the reward far outweighs his excuses and it is beyond ridiculous. The end will justify the means.

refusing to fight him over accusations of steroids is one of the biggest problems i have with it. Are major league baseball players refusing to play against other players due to them thinking they're taking steroids? Are MMA fighters refusing to fight other MMA fighters because they think they're taking steroids? are ANY other boxers pulling this shit anywhere? why have all of Pac's opponents agreed to fight him and not be so worried about their careers against a supposed steroid user like Floyd is? its just so dumb how hypocritically that card is played...

i swear Floyd apologists are like kobe fans to me. they're so obsessed with him they think like retards.

I think the test is just a negotiating ploy. Though I think the way manny reacted to it is a lil bit of a red flag