Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheists.

Default Re: Atheists.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperboyXX0018
    Something always had to exist, nothing can't create nothing, so with all the intelligent design its clear there is a God and he has a purpose for us.
    Yes, it's called energy. Ever heard of the Law of Conservation of Energy?

How about matter?

So yes, something has always existed.

Banned

the idea that life is a waste of time if there is no eternal reward is perhaps the most evil thought ever propagated throughout mankind. it is the worst possible way to live. and yes it is possible to see, experience, and perpetuate the divine without being religious or believing in God.

what matters is right now. the people around you, helping them. not because you want a one-way ticket to heaven when you check out but because that is what LIFE, now, is about, because it makes you feel good to help others, even if you can't explain why.

speaking of which why does everyone have to come up with their own inevitably wrong answers to the things they will never understand? why not just accept that we don't know, we can't know, that all we've got is 60-100 years to lead the best life we can by making the most out of each day and what is presents to you.

that's why western spirituality is a bunch of ****. it's so false. all anyone cares about is superficial. "I'll cheat on my wife, but it'll be ok cause I'll just go to confession afterward." "I'll drink and hook up throughout college, but then I'll lead a righteous lifestyle once I graduate." "I can't help it. I'm human. we're all sinners. all we can do is lead our lives and ask Jesus to forgive us."

it's so ****ing misguided and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by geeWiz15
    the idea that life is a waste of time if there is no eternal reward is perhaps the most evil thought ever propagated throughout mankind. it is the worst possible way to live. and yes it is possible to see, experience, and perpetuate the divine without being religious or believing in God.

what matters is right now. the people around you, helping them. not because you want a one-way ticket to heaven when you check out but because that is what LIFE, now, is about, because it makes you feel good to help others, even if you can't explain why.

speaking of which why does everyone have to come up with their own inevitably wrong answers to the things they will never understand? why not just accept that we don't know, we can't know, that all we've got is 60-100 years to lead the best life we can by making the most out of each day and what is presents to you.

that's why western spirituality is a bunch of ****. it's so false. all anyone cares about is superficial. "I'll cheat on my wife, but it'll be ok cause I'll just go to confession afterward." "I'll drink and hook up throughout college, but then I'll lead a righteous lifestyle once I graduate." "I can't help it. I'm human. we're all sinners. all we can do is lead our lives and ask Jesus to forgive us."

it's so ****ing misguided and stupid.
    You are doing exactly what SuperboyXX0018 is doing. Condeming others for their views. There is no need to condemn others for their views. If one wants to believe in GOd, then so be it. They should be able to do so without others puttting down their views. You really are generalizing spirituality and that is not fair to those who truly believe in God to be put in the superficial category. Same goes for atheists. If they believe this, they also shouldnt be condemned and labeled as "ignorant" for their views. This is why I try to never put down other peoples views. People are allowed to believe what they want and shouldnt be persecuted for it. I try not to be closeminded to others views because if someone truly believes in something, I can respect that. The real problem is people being so closed minded to other people views without trying to reason with them or even understand them. Both religious people and atheist have this problem

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ElPigto
    Yes, it's called energy. Ever heard of the Law of Conservation of Energy?

How about matter?

So yes, something has always existed.

God is transcending, he's not like anything you can ever imagine.

Banned

You are doing exactly what SuperboyXX0018 is doing. Condeming others for their views. There is no need to condemn others for their views.
    I can't condemn anyone, I don't have that power. I'm trying to help the lost...

I can't condemn anyone, I don't have that power. I'm trying to help the lost...
    There are better ways than how you are going about it

Myrrh

If there is no god, so be it.
    If there is a god, he's an *******, so I can't be bothered worshipping him. I mean, thanks for creation and all, but why the hell did he let is go to waste like that? Once he cleans up his mess we can talk about proper worship, but until then I just don't see a point in praying to a guy that stands by and watches the kind of ****ed up **** that's going on down here.

My two cents. And thanks for asking, I'm enjoying life even though there's no "higher value" to it. I enjoy it because I improve other people's life by being nice to them and because I love my fellow humans.

"Be nice or burn in hell" is so primary school. Be good for goodness' sake, man.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    There are better ways than how you are going about it

Which are?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Heretik32
    If there is no god, so be it.
    If there is a god, he's an *******, so I can't be bothered worshipping him. I mean, thanks for creation and all, but why the hell did he let is go to waste like that? Once he cleans up his mess we can talk about proper worship, but until then I just don't see a point in praying to a guy that stands by and watches the kind of ****ed up **** that's going on down here.

My two cents. And thanks for asking, I'm enjoying life even though there's no "higher value" to it. I enjoy it because I improve other people's life by being nice to them and because I love my fellow humans.

"Be nice or burn in hell" is so primary school. Be good for goodness' sake, man.

READ-THE-BIBLE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDF2Ag05K0Y
    Last edited by SuperboyXX0018; 11-14-2007 at 05:22 AM.

Which are?
    You are not providing any real responses to everyone elses responses other than they are wrong. Your responses consist of why? and senseless remarks. Why not explain why these are your views and why you dont believe in the other responses. Not just asking why not and saying people are dumb for their views on God

Most people havnt read the bible so you cant expect people to understand where you are comming from. Thats part of the problem is. How do you expect people to comprehend any of your responses without the proper information?

Myrrh

You wouldn't believe how bible-literate I actually am, having been raised hardline catholic. But you know what: If you strip all the fuzz and funny talk from the bible, all you get with is basic common sense: be good to others and don't behave like an a-hole. And I don't need religion or god to do that.

Banned

Most people havnt read the bible so you cant expect people to understand where you are comming from. Thats part of the problem is. How do you expect people to comprehend any of your responses without the proper information?

Okay, but I have to make these threads in the morning now, so things are going to be a little short.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Heretik32
    You wouldn't believe how bible-literate I actually am, having been raised hardline catholic. But you know what: If you strip all the fuzz and funny talk from the bible, all you get with is basic common sense: be good to others and don't behave like an a-hole. And I don't need religion or god to do that.
    There is so much more than that.....

So all the complexity of the universe is not enough?
    Why should complexity necessitate a Deity?

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

this thread is more of the same from the boy...

here are some of my random thoughts:

while there are some purely vowed atheists, most people will say they believe in something-- God, mystery, goodness, beauty, truth, healing...

the "problem" or perhaps challenge is unpacking what this is.

many people reject what is an adolescent image/definition of God (usually what is a caracature-- a all-seeing white bearded old man in the sky who is like a uber-santa claus) and

many people can reject red flagged words such as: salvation, hell, heaven, repentence, etc. these words can shut-down people to listening more in depth or discussing religion with any substance.

one's own bad experiences with self-righteous, judgemental christians can negatively color ones views about religion

one cannot talk one into relationships. we experience relationships. this applies to relationship with God too

good religion can help understand ourselves and others in all of our relationships and the real experiences of life:

the hurts, betrayals, joys, death, confusion, hope, fidelity, honor, love, justice, beauty

good religion opens us to other ways of viewing this world, ourselves, others because of a deeper understanding of the mystery we call God

we can sense this-- words often fail us in describing this mystery

i havent described things well--- there are just some thoughts to stir the pot

i know that i have also written similiar words in previous threads regarding religion/God so be patient with my redundancy