Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: The Wire vs The Sopranos

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Exactly. That is the problem. The one part of his character made the other part totally silly and unbelievable as drama.
    That makes absolutely no sense

How does for example Paulie going to see a psychic (comedy w/ dark undertones since the guy tells him he's being followed by everyone he's killed) effect Christopher dying in a hospital after being riddled by bullets (drama)? Are you saying that for a drama to be believable, the characters have to be serious all the time with no real distinguishable personalities, no humor, and they have to be one dimensional cardboard cutouts? Not surprising some think that way since a lot of shows, movies, etc are like that.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    That makes absolutely no sense

How does for example Paulie going to see a psychic (comedy w/ dark undertones since the guy tells him he's being followed by everyone he's killed) effect Christopher dying in a hospital after being riddled by bullets (drama)? Are you saying that for a drama to be believable, the characters have to be serious all the time with no real distinguishable personalities, no humor, and they have to be one dimensional cardboard cutouts? Not surprising some think that way since a lot of shows, movies, etc are like that.
    You are creating an argument that isn't there. Nowhere do I say you can't have drama and comedy in one show, I just say that the Sopranos did that poorly. It's not the principle: it's the execution. The very obvious parody combined with very serious drama didn't work for me.

I also said I think the Sopranos was very good, but sorry if I hurt your feelings by saying I didn't think it did everything perfect.

Banned

You are creating an argument that isn't there. Nowhere do I say you can't have drama and comedy in one show, I just say that the Sopranos did that poorly. It's not the principle: it's the execution. The very obvious parody combined with very serious drama didn't work for me.

I also said I think the Sopranos was very good, but sorry if I hurt your feelings by saying I didn't think it did everything perfect.
    I was just pointing out your nonsensical 'logic' is all

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

They weren't really using parody for their humor. I'd say it was broad satire, but personally I thought it worked. Even though sometimes Paulie or Christopher would do exaggerated things it made sense. It highlighted the absurdity of how gangsters go around killing and stealing yet are still prone to the same (or even worse) neuroses as the rest of us. They did the same thing with Tony but in a different way. He would have no trouble destroying other peoples lives while expecting his own life to be untouched - it wasn't funny but it was the same type of absurdity.

The comical parts had a purpose, they weren't in there just for a laugh or to fill up time.

Breaking Bad will take the throne after the end of this season

Just finished watching the wire a few days ago, first time i have ever watched the series. Absolutely awesome. I really enjoyed it. Only problems i had with it were that Marlo Standfield is a lil b!tch, snoop lasted too long, dumb dike btch spoke like she had just finished off smoking a bowl.

I would have enjoyed omar killing marlo but instead they have a preschooler do him

The last scene with marlo whooping ass on his.corner was pretty cool tho

No question in my mind: The Wire is the best television show I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    Just finished watching the wire a few days ago, first time i have ever watched the series. Absolutely awesome. I really enjoyed it. Only problems i had with it were that Marlo Standfield is a lil b!tch, snoop lasted too long, dumb dike btch spoke like she had just finished off smoking a bowl.

I would have enjoyed omar killing marlo but instead they have a preschooler do him

wasn't exactly the way i wanted to see omar go out, but i think the point is that he had built up a reputation and even though anyone could have taken him out pretty easily their fear held them back. the kid was really the only one who could have taken omar out 1 on 1. he had no fear and omar wasn't expecting him to come at him so he let his guard down.

I would have to say the wire, the ending of the sopranos really pissed me off, i mean watching it for 6 seasons and it ends like that?

also in season 5 when tony talks to big ***** the fish, tells him he was talking to the feds, i was like wtf? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo6cNQwN6LQ

one of my favorite scenes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20G17K_0ghU

Quote Originally Posted by nek1477
    also in season 5 when tony talks to big ***** the fish, tells him he was talking to the feds, i was like wtf? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo6cNQwN6LQ
    Exploration of Tony's subconscience and inner turmoil. I'd say the simplest way to divide the two shows is to say one takes a psychoanalytical approach and the other a sociological view. If The Wire had the talking fish scene then I would say "wtf?" too. But within the context of The Sopranos it made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    Exploration of Tony's subconscience and inner turmoil. I'd say the simplest way to divide the two shows is to say one takes a psychoanalytical approach and the other a sociological approach. If The Wire had the talking fish scene then I would say "wtf" too. But within the context of The Sopranos it made sense.
    It made sense but it just wasn't right in my opinion, later that episode they take him fishing and they kill him. easier to find out he was a snitch by him saying it, tonys finds out by the feds, source, etc, but a fish?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nek1477
    It made sense but it just wasn't right in my opinion, later that episode they take him fishing and they kill him. easier to find out he was a snitch by him saying it, tonys finds out by the feds, source, etc, but a fish?
    But Tony knew the entire time, he just didn't want to admit it. The fever dream was his subconscious yelling at him to face the truth. They hinted at it subtly earlier in the episode and previously in the season. It was also foreshadowing- Big ***** sleeps with the fishes. Tony's sixth sense was razor sharp, it's like Artie said "You saw this whole thing, didn't you? You knew exactly what was gonna happen. You can see twenty moves down the road. Please...I don't blame you, I envy you. It's like an instinct, like a hawk sees a little mouse movin' around a corn field from a mile up."

Quote Originally Posted by Highwey
    Great and ironic thing about Marlo's ending was that he got everything Stringer ever wanted, but all he ever wanted was those corners and his name spoken with fear and respect on the streets.
    Last edited by DonDadda59; 11-24-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Overall I liked the Wire better. I loved the way it expanded the scope of the show season after season. The first four seasons are just fantastic. The last season was not as great.

However, I got into The Sopranos earlier. I remember watching the pilot of the Sopranos and thought it was the best pilot I had ever seen.....haven't watched it since then. The Wire took me several episode to get into. They were introduced many more characters and I didn't have any reference to the Baltimore drug world. It was about halfway through season one when I thought this show is great.

I will give you Steven Van Zandt not being a great actor, but Tony Sirico as Paulie Walnuts is a good actor and, in fact, knew more about the gangster life than any of the other actors.
    Not believable? Ooofa! Minga, this guy!

I knew a lot of guys who would point like this when I was growing up.

Yes, Paulie Walnuts was played for comedic effect, but he was hilarious because the acting was solid. If you think comedic acting is easier than dramatic acting, you don't really know acting. However, they were not the only characters who were played that way, they did that with most of the characters. When Tony wasn't the focus of the scene they would portray him as a buffoon or a real mamaluke as Paulie would say. Even Carmella was portrayed as a grasping materialistic Real Housewife of NJ, when the scene wasn't about her.

Also gangsters being unintentionally funny is a genre all of itself.

Fun fact: Tony Sirico and Woody Allen played baseball together as kids.

Sopranos > The Wire

I love both shows, but the last season of the wire DRAGGED with that fake serial killer plot.

Tony Soprano has to be one of my favorite characters of all time. The Sopranos was a lot more realistic than people think (The ridiculous shit they said and the way they all dressed was actually pretty spot on ) Obviously the crazy murders and shit weren't realistic but all of the little things were on point

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    wasn't exactly the way i wanted to see omar go out, but i think the point is that he had built up a reputation and even though anyone could have taken him out pretty easily their fear held them back. the kid was really the only one who could have taken omar out 1 on 1. he had no fear and omar wasn't expecting him to come at him so he let his guard down.
    I don't think thats what they were trying to show. I think they were trying to show that anyone can get got at anytime by anyone. It doesn't matter who it is and it doesn't matter how much build up, drama, and backstory there is behind it i.e. Stringer or Bodie's death. It can be as completely random as it was. IMO it captured that aspect about that environment and because of that I thought it was pretty brilliant.