Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star TheeBeast's Avatar

Default Re: Curtis Mayfield is the greatest songwriter ever.

What does race have to do with it?

Move On Up
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z66wVo7uNw

Now that's universal

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    It's not even a white thing.

He's better than Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson (you said Smoke was better, Smoke is not nearly as deep as Curtis), Sly Stone, Sam Cooke, James Brown ect all great black songwriter who most put over Mayfield without a blink.

Bobby Womack is another criminally underrated brother in the singer/songwriter mold as is Willie Hutch and Joe Tex.

Curtis just writes great music, his messages are very deep and his love is strong and he can get you on the dance floor.
    I dunno man.... Curtis is dope, just don't agree with you.

I'll leave you with this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foLzP...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    I dunno man.... Curtis is dope, just don't agree with you.

I'll leave you with this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foLzP...eature=related
    Ahh, Baby Huey, one of Curtis Mayfields artist ...

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    proving something of that nature is no easy task. I guess to do as you ask, I would have to cite popular opinion, critics reviews, my own personal taste, and most importantly your extreme bias and agenda driven (albeit entertaining) posting record.

All of those things would easily deconstruct the premise you stated in the OP.

However, the burden of proof is on you my young negro warrior. this is your thesis, and I am betting a pound note that you would find great difficulty (read: impossibility) defending it.
    this isn't getting enough love

You can prove me wrong by stating first off, why he isn't the best. Then coming with an artist and some of their body of work.

I'll listen to the lyrics and see for myself.
    Van Morrison.

-Smak

NBA Superstar

alan menken

5-time NBA All-Star

It's not even a white thing.

He's better than Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson (you said Smoke was better, Smoke is not nearly as deep as Curtis), Sly Stone, Sam Cooke, James Brown ect all great black songwriter who most put over Mayfield without a blink.

Bobby Womack is another criminally underrated brother in the singer/songwriter mold as is Willie Hutch and Joe Tex.

Curtis just writes great music, his messages are very deep and his love is strong and he can get you on the dance floor.
    I like Smokey better. Universal and timeless is, at least, equivalent to deep, while being more impressive. They will play Smokey in a hundred years from now. His phrasing and hook is great. He falls in plain love and has a lot of healing in his music. While I give Curtis respect, he is moreso mental than he is poetic, and music, by nature, will always sway you more than convince you. And Smoke could pull you in with a woman, a man, a man group or a woman group singing the poetics. He saw the layers and value of the voice with music. People who don't understand English sing Smokey because his melodic flow is beyond the language. He was really complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    I like Smokey better. Universal and timeless is, at least, equivalent to deep, while being more impressive. They will play Smokey in a hundred years from now. His phrasing and hook is great. He falls in plain love and has a lot of healing in his music. While I give Curtis respect, he is moreso mental than he is poetic, and music, by nature, will always sway you more than convince you. And Smoke could pull you in with a woman, a man, a man group or a woman group singing the poetics. He saw the layers and value of the voice with music. People who don't understand English sing Smokey because his melodic flow is beyond the language. He was really complete.
    Smoke is my man too, but give me a Smokey love ballad and I can give you a Curtis one.

You telling me these ain't timeless?

The Staple Singers: Let's Do It Again
    Aretha Franklin: Something He Can Feel

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
    I have that whack album somewhere in my basement... haha, but here's a decent Sauce/Jay jam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0nWweY9zAg
    Sauce and Jay go hard as **** on this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYjoLPsyRb0

From the Belly soundtrack

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

In your opinion he is the greatest songwriter, but this is a subjective topic and you can't say: "So and so is the greatest songwriter ever" and have it be a fact. In my opinion, Neil Young is the greatest songwriter ever, so I would disagree with you. See how that works?

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Hey did you know that you can like someone without saying they are the greatest ever?

A. You can't prove it.
    B. He isn't.
    C. It's all opinion.

You're trying to start an argument when you just want to talk about him.
    Of course it's all opinion.

Marie was cool, I didn't care for that wedding song and this one is alright.
    Dude, he not only left her, he took her wedding dress too and gave it to another woman!

Marie was the only Townes song of the three I posted. Best song about poverty that I know.

However, $1000 wedding is a masterpiece.

In terms of greatest songwriters, I think Chuck Berry is vastly underrated. Very, very few have matched words to melody better. His lyrics just swing. Memphis, Tennesee . What pop song tops that?

Also, if you're going to be the greatest, you're going to have to go up against Hank Williams and that's a tough row to hoe. Here's Al Green covering him

People Get Ready

He also had probably the most influence in a bubbling new genre from the Islands, Reggae music.

His melodies, guitar playing and harmonies with the Impressions gave it it's birth along with Ska and Calypso.

People Get Ready

He also had probably the most influence in a bubbling new genre from the Islands, Reggae music.

His melodies, guitar playing and harmonies with the Impressions gave it it's birth along with Ska and Calypso.
    Mayfield may have had an individual influence on reggae, but Jamaican music goes back to American Jazz and Rock n Roll and R+B. That is reggae would have happened with Curtis Mayfield. Motown was big throughout Jamaica. Now Bob Marley was specifically a fan of The Impressions, but it's a mistake to say the Bob Marley is all of reggae.. Apparently Jimmy Cliff was more of an Otis Redding fan.

I rule the local playground Jax's Avatar

Sam Cooke>