Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Good High School Starter Miller for 3's Avatar

Default Re: Division III G Jack Taylor drops 138 points

Quote Originally Posted by Court Vision

Prime MJ and Wilt can't hold a candle to this GOAT among men

He scored more points in one game than Lebron has scored in all of the 4th quarters combined in his entire career

Not even one assist?

I would be ashamed. He wasn't even HOT.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    My girls college team ran this offense(we traveled together so I saw prob 50 games of this). They lead all schools in scoring. I have picked the coaches brain several times. Looks like it was done on purpose. Also, traditionally the system at Grinnel has line changes. Looks like he altered it because guy played 36 minutes. Regardless, seems like a lot of shots for this offense.
    Good stuff. I read another article a few years ago about a season at Grinnell where they fell out of contention, so the coach and team decided to set a few NCAA records as their end-of-season goals, specifically a few scoring records for their top shooter. So, planned records seems well within the realm of possibility here. I was thinking the same thing when I saw the 36 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Good stuff. I read another article a few years ago about a season at Grinnell where they fell out of contention, so the coach and team decided to set a few NCAA records as their end-of-season goals, specifically a few scoring records for their top shooter. So, planned records seems well within the realm of possibility here. I was thinking the same thing when I saw the 36 minutes.
    Personally, I disagree with the style. But it is good for recruiting and the teams have a ton of fun. On thing I hated was that they would run schools off the court and never slow up. It would be 130 to 39 with 45 seconds left and he would have these girls full court pressing.

Am I the only person who finds this impressive? He still had to make those shots he was putting up.

NBA Superstar

Here's video of what the previous Grinnell record looked like (Lentsch's 89 points): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nIQVxbKhRw

Has to be a weird feeling to drop 89... only to have your record broken by almost 40 a year later.

Banned

Apparently a guy on the other team hit 34/44 fga. that's pretty impressive shooting.

Dunking on everybody in the park Court Vision's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ihoopallday
    Am I the only person who finds this impressive? He still had to make those shots he was putting up.
    He was 38% from 3.

It's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Court Vision
    He was 38% from 3.

It's okay.
    38% at that volume, when you take fatigue into account is insane.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    Apparently a guy on the other team hit 34/44 fga. that's pretty impressive shooting.
    Well another aspect of the Grinnell system is they're awfully willing to give up a free bucket in the half court, so the opposition's statistics also tend to bloat when they play. Grinnell's goal is pretty much to force a turnover with their full court pressure. If that fails, they'll often concede a two point basket just so they can quickly come the other way and fire another triple and get back into their defensive pressure. The idea is to out score the opposition through turnovers and shear volume.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Personally, I disagree with the style. But it is good for recruiting and the teams have a ton of fun. On thing I hated was that they would run schools off the court and never slow up. It would be 130 to 39 with 45 seconds left and he would have these girls full court pressing.
    Ha, that ties in pretty well to a discussion I was having on this website yesterday (regarding Damian Lillard's end-of-game dunk). I feel the system is known well enough for coaches and players to understand that it's something that's going to occur for the duration of the game. There's no off button. Down is up. Black is white. All bets are off. I'd have to believe most teams know full well that when a Grinnell system team runs to the end, it's nothing remotely close to being unsportsmanlike, it's just the system being the system. It's based upon being able to play a mega speed for the duration of a contest, no ifs, ands, or buts.

That said, contrary to the Lillard discussion yesterday, a terribly outmatched college opponent drawing issue with a full court press late in a contest is quite understandable to me. I feel like if any team but one with a Grinnell type system were pulling it off, it'd be a rightful issue. You mentioned the 130-39 example. I could see where some would have an issue. If I were the coach of the team with 39 though, I'd understand that's just how the system operates.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-21-2012 at 12:56 AM.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    I'm not sure I could deal with playing with a guy that took 100 shots. Think about what that would be like.
    It's like playing with Kobe.

Folks, this is why scoring a lot of points is not always a sign of greatness. 138 or 81, against weak competition, plus a license to shoot unlimited number of shots, anybody can score a lot with that.

Banned

Heat better get him soon.

Thumbs up Re: Division III G Jack Taylor drops 138 points

Quote Originally Posted by ihoopallday
    Everyone on this site is a Rucker legend

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible
    Shot 52 of 108 & 27 of 71 from 3.

Basketball ruinate trend

if he has passed on half those missed 3's they could have scored 200 total