Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: My top 10 favorite video games of all time

Every time a new ME game came out, I would replay the previous one(s). So ME1 3 times, ME2 twice and ME3 once so far for me. The only thing is that every time, I'm pretty sure I end up making the same choices and I still love the experience. I'm not one of those people that does a "good" then an "evil" playthrough. However I play it, that's what my story is for these characters and that's what I want to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    Every time a new ME game came out, I would replay the previous one(s). So ME1 3 times, ME2 twice and ME3 once so far for me. The only thing is that every time, I'm pretty sure I end up making the same choices and I still love the experience. I'm not one of those people that does a "good" then an "evil" playthrough. However I play it, that's what my story is for these characters and that's what I want to experience.
    Yeah, same. To me it's like re watching a TV show or a movie.

The way some of you guys feel about Mass Effect 3, I also feel about Mass Effect 2.

I don't know if it's necessarily pressure from EA, but Bioware certainly toned down their ambition in favor of a more smooth experience. They took away the entire planet exploration mechanic, took out the inventory, simplified character customization from the skill-trees, to the weapons and armor, simplified the skill use in combat, more linear corridor shooting levels, ammo, more traditional shooting feel, more focus on combat in general, different and "less boring" aesthetics . Even the storytelling and characters felt more like your standard action game.

And I'm not saying all that stuff worked particularly well in the first game, but on the whole it made a much bigger impact on me.

I played through the first Mass Effect 6 or 7 times. Did the same thing with the second one. Only played 3 once.

High School Varsity 6th Man treadster's Avatar

In no order

-Shadow Of Colossus
    -Dragon Age: Origins
    -Sly Series
    -Fallout 3 & New Vegas
    -Monster Hunter Series
    -The Legend Of Heroes: Trail In The Sky
    -Dark Souls
    -Persona 4
    -Kingdom Hearts Series
    -Sam & Max (Telltale Games)

turns illusions for $ ShannonElements's Avatar

OK, I'm going to try. I know I'm going to end up feeling like I left something out, and probably change my mind 73 times by next week, but oh well. Impact plays a big role in my criteria, so I might choose the first game in a series over superior game later in the series, but there are lots of other factors.

Mario Bros. NES

I had played video games occasionally but they didn't really do anything for me. Then I played this and something clicked in my brain and I haven't looked back. The game that made me a gamer.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic X-box/PC (played on both)

My favorite RPG ever. I hope they make a third one some day so we can get some answers regarding what happened when the protagonist from the second game goes after Revan(one of the coolest Star Wars characters ever BTW) from the first game.

Advance Wars GBA

Easy to learn, difficult to master turn-based strategy game. Had so much fun taking on friends, and hatching plans to win. There was always a lot of anticipation waiting for your next turn to see what everyone else had done, how many units you may or may not have lost, etc. Fog of war, bitches!

Goldeneye 007 N64

I hadn't really cared for first-person shooters when I saw some friends playing this, so I passed on joining them. But the graphics were sick and my friends insisted, so I tried it. Fell in love with that damn game. As far as split-screen multiplayer goes it doesn't get much better.

Resident Evil 4 GC/PC/PS2

This shit kept me on the edge of my seat the entire damn time. I've owned it on the GC, PC, and PS2 now.

Gran Turismo PS1

I was so into this game I used to take the manual to work with me to read during breaks. The game that turned me into a racing game fiend. Graphics were mind-blowing at the time. The only flaw was how the cars didn't take damage but that didn't matter to me since I approached it like a "pure" racer where you're trying to avoid bashing into people and shit anyway.

Metroid Prime GC

One of the most immersive games I've ever experienced. Part platformer, part FPS, with some of the best art design ever, an awesome soundtrack, and tons of cool places to explore. This game gave me "feels"...hard to describe.

Grand Theft Auto 4 PC

I've always liked the GTA games for just dicking around, but this is the first one where I wanted to do more than just that. Now I gotta go back and play San Andreas since that's just sitting in my closet.

Half Life 2 PC

Best single-player pure FPS ever? I think so. I can still play this game today and be wowed by it. The dystopian future, the graphics, the narrative, the characters, the sound...everything. When you're running around waging guerrilla warfare against those big ass tripod robots, launching laser-guided missiles at them before ducking back down behind cover...got damn.

Madden 2004 PS2

This was the last Madden before they introduced the "hit stick." Part of the reason why this makes my list is because, well, it's Madden, and because I poured more hours into this one than any of the others. Actually played through 20 years in the franchise mode, playing every single game and managing my team with a level of OCD that probably should have put me on medication.
    Last edited by ShannonElements; 03-01-2014 at 09:44 PM.

You guys have some decent selections but nothing near what should be an accurate list.

Let me enlighten what you numskulls should be putting down, iight? Here you go, you can thank me later for keeping shit real.

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES)

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GameCube)

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

Metroid: Prime (GameCube)

SimCity (SNES)

Street Fighter 2 (Arcade, SNES)

Street Fighter 4 (Arcade, XBOX 360)

Blue Dragon (XBOX 360)

Super Mario 3 (NES)

Civilization (SNES)

All the above in no particular order, and if any of you disagree I dare you to step into my back yard I will stab you with a knife, I will piss in your snow into a cooper yellow.

Yeah, yes yes yaw.

I forgot to put Shining Force 2 - perhaps the single greatest game of all time. macmac beat me to it listening it first.

NBA lottery pick

I totally forgot about roller coaster tycoon, that game is without question top 10 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfro
    I totally forgot about roller coaster tycoon, that game is without question top 10 for me.
    Haha ya that was a great game. I only enjoyed the first one to be honest, played that as much as Banished.

Spent a lot of time on Banished but taking a break. It's not a bad game at all but its limited on gameplay due to 1 guy actually making the game himself.

I'm not a huge gamer like some of you, but here are my humble 10 in no order (in most cases I'm picking my favs out of each of my fav franchises):

-FreeSpace 2
    -Starcraft
    -Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
    -Assassin's Creed 2
    -Mass Effect 2
    -Metal Gear Solid 4: Sons of Patriots
    -Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    -Batman: Arkham City
    -NBA 2K11
    -Brian Lara Cricket '96

Honorable mentions: NBA Live 2000, Street Fighters 2,

Man, I been gaming for so long it's all but impossible for me to pick a top ten. Here goes, in no particular order:

Metal Gear Solid(Ps1)
    Final Fantasy III(SNES)
    Chrono Trigger(SNES)
    Mike Tyson's Punchout(NES)
    Super Mario Bros 3(NES)
    Earthworm Jim(SNES/Genesis)
    Star Wars Knights of Old republic(xbox)
    Street Fighter II turbo(SNES)
    Suikoden( Ps1)
    Castlevania Symphony of the night(Ps1)

Shout outs to:

Uncharted 2(ps3)
    NBA Jam(Genesis)
    Resident Evil remake(gamecube)
    Super Metroid(SNES)
    Halo(xbox)
    Halo 2(xbox)
    Super Mario Kart(SNES)
    Mario 64(N64)
    Mario Kart(n64)
    Resident evil 2(Ps1)
    Metal Gear Solid 3(ps2)
    Mortal Kombat 2(snes)
    Batman Arkham Asylum(PS3)
    Contra Hard Corps(genesis)
    Donkey Kong country(SNES)
    WWF no mercy(n64)
    Contra III alien wars(SNES)
    Sonic the hedgehog 2(genesis)
    Soul Caliber(Dreamcast)
    Zelda Ocarina of time(n64)
    Goldeneye 007(n64)
    Street Fighter Alpha 3(dreamcast)
    Super Empire Strikes Back(SNES)

Damn, I can do this all day....
    Last edited by Dragonyeuw; 03-07-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    Man, I been gaming for so long it's all but impossible for me to pick a top ten. Here goes, in no particular order:

Metal Gear Solid(Ps1)
    Final Fantasy III(SNES)
    Chrono Trigger(SNES)
    Mike Tyson's Punchout(NES)
    Super Mario Bros 3(NES)
    Earthworm Jim(SNES/Genesis)
    Star Wars Knights of Old republic(xbox)
    Street Fighter II turbo(SNES)
    Suikoden( Ps1)
    Castlevania Symphony of the night(Ps1)

Shout outs to:

Uncharted 2(ps3)
    NBA Jam(Genesis)
    Resident Evil remake(gamecube)
    Super Metroid(SNES)
    Halo(xbox)
    Halo 2(xbox)
    Super Mario Kart(SNES)
    Mario 64(N64)
    Mario Kart(n64)
    Resident evil 2(Ps1)
    Metal Gear Solid 3(ps2)
    Mortal Kombat 2(snes)
    Batman Arkham Asylum(PS3)
    Contra Hard Corps(genesis)
    Donkey Kong country(SNES)
    WWF no mercy(n64)
    Contra III alien wars(SNES)
    Sonic the hedgehog 2(genesis)
    Soul Caliber(Dreamcast)
    Zelda Ocarina of time(n64)
    Goldeneye 007(n64)
    Street Fighter Alpha 3(dreamcast)
    Super Empire Strikes Back(SNES)

Damn, I can do this all day....
    Wow big console gamer. I got my list down to 10 easily just by remembering what games you got most gameplay hours of and how many menorable moments you have. also another criteria was "are you able to pickup this game now and beat it" if the answer is "yes" you go from there.

Having an honorable mentions list was nice. Few games I wanted there.

Seems you're a big console fan! Only console I never owned was an SNES so I missed a lot of those. But I eventually leaned towards PC gaming, now that I am older I lean towards console, weird huh.

Man, KOTOR...wish I played that game when it came out...hear so much praise, alas the game is too old now for me to enjoy it due to having not played it long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaulding
    Wow big console gamer. I got my list down to 10 easily just by remembering what games you got most gameplay hours of and how many menorable moments you have. also another criteria was "are you able to pickup this game now and beat it" if the answer is "yes" you go from there.

Having an honorable mentions list was nice. Few games I wanted there.

Seems you're a big console fan! Only console I never owned was an SNES so I missed a lot of those. But I eventually leaned towards PC gaming, now that I am older I lean towards console, weird huh.

Man, KOTOR...wish I played that game when it came out...hear so much praise, alas the game is too old now for me to enjoy it due to having not played it long ago.
    That's how I arrived at the games that were on my list. Some of them I haven't played in years, but the joy of playing those titles for countless hours and hours is still fresh. I can still pick up 'most' of those titles right now and enjoy them just as I did then. Others haven't withstood the test of time so well, mainly the early 3d era games(n64,saturn,ps1) who are hampered by shoddy 3d analog controls, bad camera, and muddly, blocky polygonal graphics( of course, I'm saying this in retrospect). I'm a huge fan of 2d games, which IMO have held up really well over the years, which is why the majority of rpgs,fighters and platformers from the 16 bit era are still immensely enjoyable for me. I can pick up Street Fighter II turbo or Alpha and have an enjoyable romp right now, but a more 'technically' advanced and newer game like the original Tekken is simply a chore to play and an eyesore.

You owe yourself a playthrough of Star Wars KOTOR if you're even a moderate fan of the source material, or rpgs. Fantastic game from start to finish...if you have a 360 pick up a cheap copy off amazon( it's also available on i-devices and from what I've heard, it's a decent port even with touch screen controls)....
    Last edited by Dragonyeuw; 03-07-2014 at 08:59 PM.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

KOTOR is the best Star Wars licensed thing in the last 20 years. It does a great job of presenting that universe and I'll sooner revisit its story than any other recent Star Wars game, movie or show.