Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Dropping Out of College?

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige
    No to all of the above.
    What drew you to the entertainment business? What makes you think you can do it?

You know there is a reason the voice, xfactor and idols exists... even the got talent shows...

No to all of the above.

After going through this thread, I am starting to realize how delusional I might have been regarding this. At 27, starting from absolute scratch.
    If you sing or want to be a singer, you should be able to at least write a song? Do you just sing cover tunes? It's good to start of that way, but sooner or latter you are gonna want to try something yourself, right?

Same with playing. Most players start out with cover tunes but eventually they begin to pluck, strum, bang, some notes of there on and before you know it, you got a Melodie you created all on your own.

Why did LOJ switch accounts.
    Also, I wish you the best of luck op

Deity ★ Persona Hoodlum Science's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    Why did LOJ switch accounts.
    Also, I wish you the best of luck op
    The Legend of Josh account was perma-banned. Bunch of crybaby ninjas.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
    The Legend of Josh account was perma-banned. Bunch of crybaby ninjas.
    What reason?

National High School Star

i dropped out of college for 2 yrs to do the same thing... went back and finished my 1st degree thank goodness because the music didnt work out.

finish school.
    if youre good enough to make it big while in school, youll get noticed eventually. otherwise you definitely want a back up plan. finish school as fast as you can.. take summer classes if you have to if youre very serious about pursuing your goals. good luck.

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    What drew you to the entertainment business? What makes you think you can do it?

What drew me to the business was seeing how actors and musicians can elicit great emotions from people that watch them perform their craft; those that are the best in both fields (acting/musicianship/singing). That is what really drew me in. I want to be able to perform to the degree where I can touch people that way from an emotional standpoint the way the greats do. There are songs that have made me cry and breakdown and there have been scenes that actors have performed that have made me do the same. I have always been fascinated and inspired by people that can perform so well they get those types of responses from people. The entertainment business gives someone the largest platform from which to do that I feel.
    Last edited by Heilige; 07-13-2013 at 12:48 PM.

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    If you sing or want to be a singer, you should be able to at least write a song? Do you just sing cover tunes? It's good to start of that way, but sooner or latter you are gonna want to try something yourself, right?

Same with playing. Most players start out with cover tunes but eventually they begin to pluck, strum, bang, some notes of there on and before you know it, you got a Melodie you created all on your own.

I haven't written a song before and never really sang at all. It is still something I want to try at least.

How can I go from where I am at to at least being able to write my own song?

Local High School Star intrinsic's Avatar

I haven't written a song before and never really sang at all. It is still something I want to try at least.

Meet people. Talk to them. Develop your interests.

You got a pen, you got some paper ... start writing.

An Icon Forever

How do you become a good writer when it comes to writing songs?

i assume he wants to do more than just writing lyrics... do you know how to play any instruments? If not buy a cheap guitar and learn it. If you have no musical knowledge at all, it would take at least 3 - 4 months before becoming familiar with reading/playing a guitar.

And honestly writing music is something you have to be talented in, just like how some are meant for sports, some are made for music. Same with singing, everyone can sing if you hit the right notes, but not everyone have that quality to their voice or power to become a great singer.

How do you become a good writer when it comes to writing songs?
    When Berry Gordy first met Smokey Robinson in 1957, Berry Gordy was then known as a hit songwriter this was pre-Motown, he had written Jackie Wilson's first few hits. Smokey had a book of songs, hundreds and gave it to Berry and told Berry to get back in touch with him. He hated every song but one, he said they were all terrible except this one. That one told a story and his other songs were all over the place. What Gordy did like was his love for songwriting. To write hundreds of songs, you have to love the art. He worked with Smokey on his songwriting approach, started Motown (or Tamla at that time) with Smokey about a year and a half later.

The Miracles: A Fork In The Road

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

I am thinking about dropping out of college to pursue my goal of getting into the entertainment industry. (acting/singing)

Do you think I should go for it or would it be a bad move to make? I am 27 years old and live with my mom and am unemployed and have lived a pretty sheltered life. I would be finished with college in about 2 years and am getting a degree in Business Management. I would be 29-30 years old before graduating from college if I continued and stayed in college. At the same time, I feel time might be running out for me. Do most people make it in Hollywood/music at 30+ years old? I have no training/experience at all in either acting/music but I at least want to try. If I don't I feel I will always regret it. At the same time if I try and don't make it and don't end up succeeding at it, I feel I will be angry about it and never let go of the pain of not being a success in it.

What should I do?

Anybody here working/trying to get in the entertainment industry and have any advice?

Get on with your life and work. Get a damn job. The problem with this generation is everybody wants a dream job. Everybody wants to have a job they love. 99% of the people in the world hate their jobs. Sometimes you just gotta be a man and work for a living.