Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Bloodbath STEM VS Bubble Bath Liberal Arts

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    This. So much. I hated math in school, because it was simply boring. Problem x, formula y, solution z.

No thinking involved just learning the formulas and when to use them.

When I did my exams I suddenly gained interest in math, because I always loved physics. Well I studied that then - didn't finish it though - and math is a big junk of it and the language science is written/spoken in. No math, no chemistry, physics, biology, etc..
    For me it was because biology and other "molecular" disciplines treated it backwards in my opinion. When I was 20-24 I had no interest in memorizing that bullshit. It was so boring, while I found 400 level theoretical sociology and ecology classes very compelling. Therefore, I navigated my through undergrad in degrees that I could avoid all the shit I had no interest in.

After learning all the theory and working for 2-3 years post undergrad, I became very interested in the smaller scale components of plant/forest biology and physiology. Hence, when I got into my M.S. program I did nothing but take 600 level physiology and ecophysiology classes because I wanted to know everything else that was happening and understand the minutia of processes and mechanisms I'd been seeing unfold everyday in the field for the previous 3 years.

I think many STEM undergrad programs are sequenced in a way that make it difficult for people to get into them at a younger age.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    Nah, I can't **** with the medical field, not only is the schooling rigorous and takes you forever to finish (I wanna be on my own making cash in my mid 20's, not in school until I'm 30) but the hospitals in this country are dirty af. It's a business, they couldn't give less of a **** about the people themselves.

Plus I like the field I'm in. Sorry to hear about your fam though, that's rough that everyone got laid off...where's yall at, Ohio?

we all fine ! (they are all my in-laws anyways! ) You make your money you just don't seem to get to retire when you want is all. They are all spread out across the country. I live in ohio though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    The "S" in STEM stands for science dude which includes physics, math and chemistry.
    Yes but it's not like anyone does those three fields. STEM is really just code for engineering. Thats why engineers are so adamant to prop themselves up as 'STEM' majors. Any who majors in mathematics, physics, or chemistry would simply state the field of science in which they earned their degree.

And some liberal arts fields like philosophy are significantly more intellectually taxing than engineering.
    Last edited by masonanddixon; 05-03-2016 at 05:10 PM.

Banned

Well Science doesn't include math, the "M" in STEM is for math.

Science. Technology. Engineering. Math.

That dumbass doesn't even realize all STEM students have to take a shit ton of math and science classes, nor does 9er who responded to him as if he has any clue in the matter. One of my tutors in school is a Master in Physics, has 2 Engineering degrees, and is currently working for his Doctorate in Physics. No jobs in the Chem/Physics fields?

He has a job waiting for him once he finished his PhD which pays on average 500k a year. Crazy amounts of school for a crazy amount of pay.

But yes OP, finish your STEM degree and you'll be set bruh. My homie just finished Industrial and Systems engineering, already got offered a job in Atlanta (and accepted) as a consultant making 68k right out of college (dude hasn't even walked yet, they already hired him). I'm going for Information Systems which is identical to a Systems engineer, just a different degree name and imo easier to finish, but employers look at that shit the same, real talk. You could be a Computer Science major doing the exact same job, working side by side with a Computer engineer and an IT major (least demanding of tech degrees), making the same salary.

I got broads in Atlanta.

No I realise engineering involves APPLIED mathematics. There's a distinct difference between the pure sciences and engineering, but I doubt you're able to perceive it.

Quote Originally Posted by masonanddixon
    No I realise engineering involves APPLIED mathematics. There's a distinct difference between the pure sciences and engineering, but I doubt you're able to perceive it.
    But you were talking about STEM, which stands for:

S..........T................E.................M.
    Science. Technology. Engineering. Mathematics.

Why are you singling out Engineering, when that is only 1 of the 4 STEM programs? Is it finally making sense to you, genius? Or you wanna keep making yourself look illiterate? This nut hasn't even heard about STEM before He thinks that STEM is just engineering

Banned

But you were talking about STEM, which stands for:

S..........T................E.................M.
    Science. Technology. Engineering. Mathematics.

Why are you singling out Engineering, when that is only 1 of the 4 STEM programs? Is it finally making sense to you, genius? Or you wanna keep making yourself look illiterate? This nut hasn't even heard about STEM before He thinks that STEM is just engineering
    No, you mouthbreather, my point is that the term STEM essentially was created to highlight engineering. When I was in college, literally all the engineers would refer to themselves as STEM majors to try to pretend they were smarter than liberal arts folk, and all the real science majors would laugh at them.

No one with a math/chemistry/physics degree (one of which I have) refers to themselves as a STEM major; only engineers do this because they want to feel intelligent when the reality is that engineering is simply a vocational field with some applied science but which doesn't teach you any critical thinking or logical skills.

It's like the equivalent of a PHD graduate wanting to refer to themselves as a doctor; real doctors laugh at the title, much like a physicist would laugh at being lumped in with an engineer.

No, you mouthbreather, my point is that the term STEM essentially was created to highlight engineering. When I was in college, literally all the engineers would refer to themselves as STEM majors to try to pretend they were smarter than liberal arts folk, and all the real science majors would laugh at them.

No one with a math/chemistry/physics degree (one of which I have) refers to themselves as a STEM major; only engineers do this because they want to feel intelligent when the reality is that engineering is simply a vocational field with some applied science but which doesn't teach you any critical thinking or logical skills.

It's like the equivalent of a PHD graduate wanting to refer to themselves as a doctor; real doctors laugh at the title, much like a physicist would laugh at being lumped in with an engineer.
    How stupid are you? You realize many PHDs are doing research that lead to new discoveries that lead to new treatments and therapies? Where the fck do you think medicine gets its advancements from? Medical Physicians rely on research from PHDs you idiot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    How stupid are you? You realize many PHDs are doing research that lead to new discoveries that lead to new treatments and therapies? Where the fck do you think medicine gets its advancements from? Medical Physicians rely on research from PHDs you idiot.
    Did you fail the SAT, son?

Is this fool trying to argue that being an md is superior and more difficult than say, landing a team leader position in a cancer research field?

LOL, so many ignorant mds out there. Most of them (GPs, that is) can only follow the instructions given to them in a book, and badly at that. Psychiatrists are even worse, the way they tamper and experiment with people's brains, getting the entire nation hooked on poorly understood narcotics.

National High School Star

Lolllll chip on your shoulder? Engineers use critical thinking all the time. The skill set required to be a good engineer is a lot more than what you led yourself to believe in.

lmao who tf is this guy

What "degree" do you have?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    Is this fool trying to argue that being an md is superior and more difficult than say, landing a team leader position in a cancer research field?

LOL, so many ignorant mds out there. Most of them (GPs, that is) can only follow the instructions given to them in a book, and badly at that. Psychiatrists are even worse, the way they tamper and experiment with people's brains, getting the entire nation hooked on poorly understood narcotics.
    I'm sorry you failed organic chemistry, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    Rote memorisation isn't difficult, which is pretty much the basis of most STEM undergrad work (with a few exceptions).

It's partly because schools don't bother teaching real mathematics: its purpose, meaning, philosophical foundations, relation to logic, etc.

They just teach you how to solve problems using pre-set methods, from dry and pedagogical textbooks. Almost no-one can find that kind of learning interesting. If they started you off with Euclid (a beautiful and brilliant book--the kind of thing that could trigger interest in the subject) and then something like Russell and Whitehead's Principia Mathematica for the more advanced, I think people would find the subject more interesting and engaging. As it is, kids only learn a bunch of methods which they have forgotten by the time they reach the age of 20. Thus it is all essentially a huge waste of time; might as well just teach arithmetic, and leave it at that.
    lol

This is the most pretentious post I've read on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    lol

hes skurred because hes a philosopher, not a technical minded person. it intimidates him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    lol

He's the board's resident pseuointellectual. It takes him about a hundred words to write what could have been said in five words, and it's all about serving his own circuitous beliefs.