Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Default Re: Chauncey Billups likely has torn achilles, may retire.

This isn't really that big of a loss to the Clippers. Chauncey was a major chucker. Yeah it sucks he got hurt but he wasn't exactly a stud on the Clippers. The only reason he was still relevant now is the rule changes. They helped this older cats out. With Hand checking rules Billups wouldn't be able to do shit. Again it sucks he got hurt, but he won't come back from this. Did Elton Brand? He was 27 and in his prime and his career was never the same. Billups is done, period.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    No you could have got Paul without trading Gordon, you caved. Just like we could have gotten Melo without Gallo. It's not true, but people like to make up their own little mental scenarios so they can badmouth your acquisition. DOn't bother arguing.
    well, the clippers were bidding against themselves. i thought that they could have gotten a better deal. (they still got a great one).

I rep Lakers!

Huge loss for the Clippers. Chauncey provided veteran leadership and he was an excellent free throw & 3 point shooter. I though Billups was the X factor on this team. JR Smith would not be able to fill his role at all and I would be surprised if the Clippers sign him.
    Last edited by WeGetRing2012; 02-07-2012 at 09:25 PM.

I rep Lakers!

Quote Originally Posted by demons2005
    I'm not even saying that but to me Billups is a huge reason they've done so well. In that last game there is no way they win without Billups raining threes and getting them back in the game. The same can be said in many of their wins. The problem with their trade was they mortgaged their future for a 2-year rental of the most overrated player in the league. It MAY work out by Griffin's improvement alone but he would have to become better than KG and fast. What I do know is I'd rather have a stud young SG whos probably the third best SG in the league already and a second first round pick than a hobbled 26 year old who only plays hard when he feels like it and a history of losing in the playoffs.
    Yes!!!!! CP3 seems to only play up to the competition and his game (pick & roll) is easy to stop in a playoff series. I might be in the majority here but I honestly don't think CP3 will win a ring being the star player.

Sucks for the Clipps but I think they will be OK still. They are very fun to watch this year and I think they can go deep in the playoffs. Looking forward to tomorrow Clipper fans! Kyrie vs. CP3.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

The Clippers are going to miss Billups. He was clutch for the Clippers and made a few plays, but apparently his most important contribute to the team was his leadership. CP3 and Mo Williams commented on his leadership in the lockerroom, and he always had a history of it.

With that said, as long as CP3, Griffin, and DJ are okay, then it wasn't that big of a lost. But I thought that Billups did a very good job on the SG spot this year, and potentially could've gone deep in the playoffs this year.

The spot just open for the SG position tho. I dunno about JR Smith because he's immature. Until the Clippers get another SG, Randy Foye will get more mins. And Eric Bledsoe.

National High School Star b0bab0i's Avatar

Chauncey says he's not retiring yet.
    “I will be back,” Billups told Yahoo! Sports by phone. “I’m not done. I’m not retiring. I will definitely be back. This has been the story of my career, coming back, fighting, scrapping and I will play again.”
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu..._injury_020712

It's a big loss but I still expect for Vinny to bring Mo off the bench and play Foye at the starting two spot, though Mo will probably get the majority of the minutes. Also gives Bledsoe more playing time as well. This move means the Clips will probably chase JR harder, but don't think it'd affect JR's decision. Just hope the Clips use the TPE's they got in the Paul trade to acquire a guard or two and apply for a hardship waiver (if the current CBA still has them) so they can have a 16-man roster instead of 15 with Chauncey done.

A couple of moves I'd try to make is Ryan Gomes + Brian Cook + 2012 2nd Rounder to the Raptors for Linas Kleiza + 2012 2nd Rounder. Raps shave a year off of Kleiza's contract while the Clippers gain an early 2nd, which could very well be Tony Wroten or Terrence Ross from Washington, both of which would be solid additions imo.

Paul - Foye - Butler - Griffin - Jordan
    Bledsoe - Williams - Kleiza - Martin - Evans

Another move I'd try for is the bigger tpe and a 2nd to the Bucks for Carlos Delfino. Delfino's an expirer that can play both wing positions.

Paul - Delfino - Butler - Griffin - Jordan
    Bledsoe - Williams - Foye - Gomes - Martin - Evans

An extreme move I wouldn't mind, which I know most Clipper fans will dislike, is Randy Foye (agreement that is cut and returns to Clips) + Ryan Gomes + Brian Cook to the Charlotte Bobcats for Corey Maggette + 2nd. Maggs does have 2 years, but Clips can amnesty him after this season and make him an expirer.

Paul - Foye - Butler - Griffin - Jordan
    Bledsoe - Williams - Maggette - Martin - Evans

Local High School Star Ol Dirty Bastard's Avatar

Very sad news but I doubt he will retire. Billups is 35, give him the 8 months to recover maybe more time even and he can come back strong. Clipper or not.

Another thing about Billups being gone from play is his free throw percentage plus his ability to get to the line. He pretty much has it down when it comes to getting a foul called on him, even though some of those calls are BS.

Sucks but this team should still be able to perform well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Dirty Bastard
    Very sad news but I doubt he will retire. Billups is 35, give him the 8 months to recover maybe more time even and he can come back strong. Clipper or not.

Another thing about Billups being gone from play is his free throw percentage plus his ability to get to the line. He pretty much has it down when it comes to getting a foul called on him, even though some of those calls are BS.

Sucks but this team should still be able to perform well.
    yeah but at least we still have a solid FT shooter in Mo (.867 career)

I rep Lakers!

Quote Originally Posted by BGriffin's Dad
    yeah but at least we still have a solid FT shooter in Mo (.867 career)
    But Billups is a calm leader who shows up when the teams needs it. Just look at the Denver & Dallas games Clippers loose if it wasn't for Billups. And he also has something that no one on the team has. HE IS MR BIG SHOT! During the playoffs teams need players that can make those big shots. Now the Clippers have no one who can do that. I never said it on the forum but the Billups signing was just as big as the CP3 signing for the Clips.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

just get Jr smith

Quote Originally Posted by WeGetRing2012
    But Billups is a calm leader who shows up when the teams needs it. Just look at the Denver & Dallas games Clippers loose if it wasn't for Billups. And he also has something that no one on the team has. HE IS MR BIG SHOT! During the playoffs teams need players that can make those big shots. Now the Clippers have no one who can do that. I never said it on the forum but the Billups signing was just as big as the CP3 signing for the Clips.
    Yea, because CP3 isn't clutch and won't hit any big shots.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Man... I love Billups. Such a class act. I want the team to keep him as an assistant at least and sign him another year as a player.

[B]His contract with the Clippers runs out after this season. Billups said he wants to return to the Clippers