Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: T.D.I.H. thread

Default Re: T.D.I.H. thread

10/15/1965

Jimi Hendrix signs his first recording contract, he received $1 and a 1% Royalty on all of his recordings.

The contract is between Hendrix and PPX, signed by Hendrix "Jimmy Hendrix" in blue ballpoint pen. The contract, for $1, was for Hendrix to play and/or sing exclusively for three years from the date of the contract.

In addition to the $1 that was to be paid to Hendrix he would receive "one (1) percent of retail selling price of all records sold for his production efforts, minimum scale for arrangements he produces."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2wBPix-nmg

"Night Train"

* he's in the back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-pbOH0E8Ro

"Voodoo Child"

10/16/1969

Miracle Mets win World Series.

The Mets prevailed in 5 games to accomplish one of the greatest upsets in Series history, as that particular Orioles squad was considered to be one of the finest ever.

The Mets were considered 100-1 shots to beat Baltimore
    & win the 66th World Series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT9hBVPDk8E

Who's the biggest underdog this October? The Giants?

Quote Originally Posted by BRabbiT
    10/16/1969

Miracle Mets win World Series.

Who's the biggest underdog this October? The Giants?
    Biggest underdog is EASILY the Rangers. The Giants have the 2nd best (some would argue THE best) pitching staff in baseball.

10/17/1777

Surrender of Burgoyne (Saratoga, NY).

[QUOTE]
    American troops defeated British forces in Saratoga, NY. It was the turning point in the American Revolutionary War.

At 1AM, Burgoyne's army laid down its arms. As the surrendered army passed between lines of the victorious army, there was no indication of exultation

10/17/1971

Pittsburgh beat Baltimore in game 7 of the 68th World Series.

[QUOTE]
    The defending champion Baltimore Orioles lost to the Pittsburgh Pirates in seven games.

The two teams proved to be evenly matched, with the Pirates' Steve Blass pitching a complete game 4-hitter Game #7, 2

10/18/1974

Al Green attacked in his bathtub by an ex-girlfriend.

In the early morning hours, Mary Woodson burst in on Al Green in the bath.

She poured a pot of scalding-hot grits on his back. Woodson then etreated to a bedroom and shot herself dead with Green's own gun.

Al Green is widely renowned as one of the greatest voices in soul-music history and was at the absolute height of his powers in 1974.

He had 7 critically and commercially successful major-label albums behind him. He also, in the words of Davin Seay, who collaborated with Green on his autobiography, had a "basic animal appeal to women" that attracted many admirers, including Woodson.

On the night of the attack, Woodson had shown up unexpectedly at Green's Memphis home after he returned from a concert appearance in San Francisco. What exactly prompted her to act is unclear, but her actions not only left Al Green with severe burns that would require months of hospitalization, they also left him severely shaken emotionally and spiritually. "He likes to distance the facts of his [religious] conversion from the terrible events of that night," says Seay, "but I think the Woodson incident kind of crystallized his need to move on, to sort of shut down one part of his life and open up another.''

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sr-3VwUWS0

"How Can You Mend a Broken Heart"

ironic song title

what a crazy bitchh
    Last edited by BRabbiT; 10-18-2010 at 09:08 AM.

10/21/1975

Carlton Fisk hits a homer off the left-field pole to beat the Cincinnati Reds in the sixth game of the World Series.

[QUOTE]

Before Game 6 began, the Sox were trailing the Reds three games to two. They took an early lead

10/22/2000

Roger Clemens throws a broken bat at Mike Piazza during game #2 of the World Series.

The barrel of Piazza's splintered bat landed near Clemens' feet. In one motion, the pitcher picked it up and hurled it toward the first base line. The projectile skittered in Piazza's path as he ran out his foul ball. A foot to right and it would have nailed Piazza in the leg.....

Even before the World Series began, even before either the Mets or Yankees had qualified to play in it, the hottest topic Subway Series topic was Clemens vs. Piazza Round 2. The men had not faced each other since Piazza took a Clemens shot to the head during the two-stadium doubleheader in July. FOX replayed the incident numerous time during game one (there's lots of time to fill in a 4 hour, 51 minute game), which only ramped up the anticipation for their impending confrontation even further.

Piazza began to walk toward Clemens, the nub of his bat handle still in his hand, stunned by what just happened.

"What is your problem?" he repeated, with no reply.

On replays, Clemens appeared to say, "I thought it was the ball," a protest he would repeat in the years to come despite all sane evidence to the contrary.

But he said it not to Piazza by way of apology, but to home plate umpire Charlie Reliford, for fear of getting ejected. Both Joe Buck and Tim McCarver were shocked, almost beyond words (if only).

"Clemens, in essence, throws a jagged wooden object that lands, what, two feet from Piazza?" Buck said. "It's basically a weapon."

skip to the 2 minute mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZjj5SLgDkM

Clemens was/is nuts

10/23/2002

50 Chechen rebels storm a Moscow theater, taking up to 700 people hostage during a sold-out performance of a popular musical.

The second act was just beginning when an armed man walks onstage and fires a machine gun into the air.

The terrorists—including a number of women with explosives strapped to their bodies—identify themselves as members of the Chechen Army.

They have one demand: that Russian military forces begin an immediate and complete withdrawal from Chechnya, the war-torn region located north of the Caucasus Mountains.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2360583.stm

10/23/2002

Kanye West is injured shortly after leaving a recording studio at about 3 a.m. Wednesday morning. Details about his condition were not released by the hospital.

Manager Gee Roberson said that West's life is not in danger, and that he is in stable condition with a fractured jaw. West is expected to be released from the hospital within the next few days, and his jaw will be wired shut for the next six weeks.

While the LAPD could not disclose any details, sources close to West said he was in L.A. working on music for State Property's Beanie Sigel and Peedi Crakk, and after the studio session, West crashed his rented vehicle near the W Hotel in West Hollywood, where he was staying. No other people were involved in the incident, the sources said.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/145...23/jay_z.jhtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvb-1wjAtk4

10/24/1962

James Brown records his legendary 'Live At The Apollo' album

Live at the Apollo was recorded on the night of October 24, at Brown's own expense.

Brown's record label, King Records, originally opposed releasing the album, believing that a live album featuring no new songs would not be profitable.

To King's surprise, Live at the Apollo was an amazingly rapid seller. It spent 66 weeks on the Billboard Top Pop Albums chart, peaking at #2. Many record stores, especially in the southeast U. S., found themselves unable to keep up with the demand for the product, eventually ordering several cases at a time. R&B disc jockeys often would play side 1 in its entirety, pausing (usually to insert commercials) only to return to play side 2 in full as well.

Brown went on to record several more albums at the Apollo over the course of his career, including:
    - Live at the Apollo, Vol. II
    - Revolution of the Mind: Recorded Live at the Apollo, Vol. III
    - Live at the Apollo 1995

The album was listed at No.24 in Rolling Stone magazine's 2003 list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsxEf...eature=related
    "I'll Go Crazy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNyLGZs1w4Q

"I Don't Mind"

this album was/is legendary.

10/26/1881

Shootout at the OK Corral in Tombstone, AZ.

The Earp brothers face off against the Clanton-McLaury gang in a legendary shootout.

After silver was discovered nearby in 1877, Tombstone quickly grew into one of the richest mining towns in the Southwest. Wyatt Earp, a former Kansas police officer working as a bank security guard, and his brothers, Morgan and Virgil, the town marshal, represented "law and order" in Tombstone, though they also had reputations as being power-hungry and ruthless.

The Clantons and McLaurys were cowboys who lived on a ranch outside of town and sidelined as cattle rustlers, thieves and murderers.

In October 1881, the struggle between these two groups for control of Tombstone and Cochise County ended in a blaze of gunfire at the OK Corral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunfigh...he_O.K._Corral

i doubt any event has been reenacted/dramatized more than this one

11/7/1991

Magic Johnson announces his sudden retirement from the NBA.

Johnson was one of the first sports stars to go public about his HIV-positive status.

Revered as one of the greatest basketball players of all time, Johnson spent his entire 13-season NBA career with the Lakers, helping them to win 5 championships in the 1980s.

* 17,707 points (19.5 ppg)
    * 6,559 rebounds (7.2 rpg)
    * 10,141 assists (11.2 apg)

Future D1 Dad

this guy looks just like ray allen w/ hair.

the nobel peace prize is named after a dude who invented TNT. how ironic is that?

also, christopher colombus was a damn pirate.

shhhhhhh

Today is Sunday, Nov. 7, the 311th day of 2010. There are 54 days left in the year.

Today

11/14/1851

Herman Melville's Moby-Dick is published by Harper & Brothers in NYC.

Moby-Dick is a novel about the voyage of the whaling ship Pequod.

Moby-Dick is now considered a great classic of American literature and contains one of the most famous opening lines in fiction: "Call me Ishmael."

Initially, though, the book about Captain Ahab and his quest for a giant white whale was a flop.

Melville had promised his publisher an adventure story similar to his popular earlier works, but instead, Moby-Dick was a tragic epic, influenced in part by Melville's friend and Pittsfield, Massachusetts, neighbor, Nathaniel Hawthorne, whose novels include The Scarlet Letter.

After Moby-Dick's disappointing reception, Melville continued to produce novels, short stories (Bartleby) and poetry, but writing wasn't paying the bills so in 1865 he returned to New York to work as a customs inspector, a job he held for 20 years.

Melville died in 1891, largely forgotten by the literary world. By the 1920s, scholars had rediscovered his work, particularly Moby-Dick, which would eventually become a staple of high school reading lists across the United States.

never did read this in HS. i saw the movie, though. lol.
    Last edited by BRabbiT; 11-14-2010 at 12:55 PM.