Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: what's your goal and motivation now?

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    goal: dunk with two hands for the first time in 3 years.

put a one hander down on Sunday been working on my upper body strength to help me get the two handers, I get high enough just too weak once im up there, keep back rimming it
    How old are you again? And height?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    My goal is to fully recover from my back-to-back ankle sprains and re-establish my basketball condition.
    I played in my first full court game since August 8th last night (I sprained my ankle at the end of June, recovered, played a week, then re-sprained it in August).

My wind didn't feel awful, but my flow and feel for the game were both absolutely atrocious. I've come back from injuries before so I understand it's all a part of the process, but I hate having to go through it. I displayed such indecision and I was terribly unaggressive on offense. And that's a problem because, well, being aggressive is kind of the cornerstone of my effectiveness.

I'm thinking of ditching my ankle brace. It's quite cumbersome. I figure I should put that in writing so when I go brace-less and re-sprain my ankle for a third time, I'll have something with which to reference my neverending stupidity.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 10-14-2013 at 04:48 PM.

To be a knock down long range shooter, I'm decent, but still too based on being in rhythm/streaky.

Also I would like to develop a dribble, which i've never had (i'm a role player mostly).

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

I played in my first full court game since August 8th last night (I sprained my ankle at the end of June, recovered, played a week, then re-sprained it in August).

My wind didn't feel awful, but my flow and feel for the game were both absolutely atrocious. I've come back from injuries before so I understand it's all a part of the process, but I hate having to go through it. I displayed such indecision and I was terribly unaggressive on offense. And that's a problem because, well, being aggressive is kind of the cornerstone of my effectiveness.

I'm thinking of ditching my ankle brace. It's quite cumbersome. I figure I should put that in writing so when I go brace-less and re-sprain my ankle for a third time, I'll have something with which to reference my neverending stupidity.
    I may have already mentioned this to you before, but you should honestly try out the Ektio Breakaways. I have turrrble ankles. i would literally twist or sprain either the right or left one every other week. regardless of what shoes i was wearing at the time (hyperdunks, lebron soldiers 5, hyperfuse, etc)

after thoroughly perusing the internet and all the ektio reviews i could find on it, i decided to give them a shot. Havent hurt my ankles once. its be 3 months since i got them, and i play league or gym ball at least 3x a week. ive landed on a couple players feet too while coming down in the lane, and still didnt hurt my ankle.

after hurting my ankles way too much, i was always hesistant to drive strong into the lane and take off one foot. but with these shows, my elevation is back to the level of my youth.

i honestly swear by these shoes for those with shiiitty ankles like myself. let me know if youre interested in them and have any questions.
    Last edited by Levity; 10-14-2013 at 07:55 PM.

National High School Star

Just to get healthy & injury free.

My knees are shot, I can't remember the last time I played pain free & it really effects my every area of my game.
    Going to loose a bit of weight to try and take some strain off and hopefully build the muscle around my knees.

Can't wait to be injury free.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    I may have already mentioned this to you before, but you should honestly try out the Ektio Breakaways. I have turrrble ankles. i would literally twist or sprain either the right or left one every other week. regardless of what shoes i was wearing at the time (hyperdunks, lebron soldiers 5, hyperfuse, etc)

after thoroughly perusing the internet and all the ektio reviews i could find on it, i decided to give them a shot. Havent hurt my ankles once. its be 3 months since i got them, and i play league or gym ball at least 3x a week. ive landed on a couple players feet too while coming down in the lane, and still didnt hurt my ankle.

after hurting my ankles way too much, i was always hesistant to drive strong into the lane and take off one foot. but with these shows, my elevation is back to the level of my youth.

i honestly swear by these shoes for those with shiiitty ankles like myself. let me know if youre interested in them and have any questions.
    I cannot recall for sure if you mentioned these before but I appreciate the look out. Considering my ankle issues occurred whilst wearing my outdoor shoes on an outdoor court, I feel a little more comfortable about things heading into the winter because my indoor shoes have historically offered great ankle support (Jordan V's). We'll have to see if that continues to hold true.

Serious playground baller

I cannot recall for sure if you mentioned these before but I appreciate the look out. Considering my ankle issues occurred whilst wearing my outdoor shoes on an outdoor court, I feel a little more comfortable about things heading into the winter because my indoor shoes have historically offered great ankle support (Jordan V's). We'll have to see if that continues to hold true.

I would suggest relying more on balance and ankle strength than shoes for ankle support. I have pretty bad ankles, so bad that when I started playing a few years ago at age 30 I rolled them about every time I played. I normally don't roll mine cutting or even stepping on other players shoes I roll them when landing aquardly (sp?).

So far I have had two pair of shoes that I played a significant amount of time in and they were Hyperdunk low tops and Kobe 7's. I've been playing in Kobe 8's and they have been good so far but I think it's more to do with daily balancing exercises.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    I would suggest relying more on balance and ankle strength than shoes for ankle support. I have pretty bad ankles, so bad that when I started playing a few years ago at age 30 I rolled them about every time I played. I normally don't roll mine cutting or even stepping on other players shoes I roll them when landing aquardly (sp?).

So far I have had two pair of shoes that I played a significant amount of time in and they were Hyperdunk low tops and Kobe 7's. I've been playing in Kobe 8's and they have been good so far but I think it's more to do with daily balancing exercises.
    Word. Ankle strength is definitely what I'm looking to fully recover. My issue wasn't a general lack of balance and mobility though. I came down awkwardly on an opponent's foot after a lunging chasedown block attempt and left my ankle no real chance of survival. Even with some pretty committed rehabilitation, I re-sprained the same ankle a week after returning to action.

As such, at this point, after again rehabbing and rebuilding, I'm looking toward an ankle brace or high tops to at least assist in bridging the gap between "almost entirely recovered" and "100% recovered". I'm not relying on the shoes to keep my ankle in line, but they do seem to provide at least a small amount of additional stability, just in case.

Decent playground baller L3B120N J4M35's Avatar

im trying to make jv. thats the big picture. im trying to improve my jumper, floater, and most importantly post game. I love running that post

Learning to shoot layups Diegio's Avatar

Be faster, more agile, improved dribbling and better finishing.

Motivation?

Monta Ellis' kind of play.

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    Just to get healthy & injury free.

My knees are shot, I can't remember the last time I played pain free & it really effects my every area of my game.
    Going to loose a bit of weight to try and take some strain off and hopefully build the muscle around my knees.

Can't wait to be injury free.

you and me both! shedding weight is the key.

Sorry didn't see this til now.

I'm 24 and 6'2. Had some major breakthroughs since that post but got a slight setback 2 days ago deadlifting. Slight pull of my hamstring, but it will probably do me some good to rest as I have 2 league games this week.

Before that was getting up higher than I was in high school, almost dunked on some guy in a game last week (before the hamstring strain). Also found out my school insurance plan can cover me for some some orthotics, have really bad flat feet and been having back pain, really excited about that.

Word. Ankle strength is definitely what I'm looking to fully recover. My issue wasn't a general lack of balance and mobility though. I came down awkwardly on an opponent's foot after a lunging chasedown block attempt and left my ankle no real chance of survival. Even with some pretty committed rehabilitation, I re-sprained the same ankle a week after returning to action.

As such, at this point, after again rehabbing and rebuilding, I'm looking toward an ankle brace or high tops to at least assist in bridging the gap between "almost entirely recovered" and "100% recovered". I'm not relying on the shoes to keep my ankle in line, but they do seem to provide at least a small amount of additional stability, just in case.
    have you considered taping your ankles? it's pretty easy to learn. would be especially good for you if you play in men's leagues, you could tape them and be out there as long as you are pain free.

I always preferred tape over braces, I feel braces restrict my ankle mobility and I don't get enough explosion. Just me though.

National High School Star

have you considered taping your ankles? it's pretty easy to learn. would be especially good for you if you play in men's leagues, you could tape them and be out there as long as you are pain free.

I always preferred tape over braces, I feel braces restrict my ankle mobility and I don't get enough explosion. Just me though.

Speaking of tape, does anyone have any tips for tapping knees? especially to deal with patellar tendinopathy?
    I've tried a bunch of different sleeves and braces and they all bug me, slide down and just feel uncomfortable.
    Or does anyone have a good suggestion on a sleeve/pad?

NBA Superstar

You know, I haven't considered that but I truly like the idea. Since a few weeks ago, I've now rid of the ankle brace because it just felt too bulky and as you said, it affected my explosion. Tape might be a nice happy medium.

I'll start practicing once again this coming saturday. We were busy with our campaign in the last 1 1/2 months.