Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Re: NBA will penalize flopping from now on, confirmed today

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    I have a feeling that even if this new rule is strictly enforced that it will not be to the satisfaction of many fans, primarily due to the fact that fans and players (and presumably by extention, officials) perceive different people as the primary culprits. I keep reading on ISH how Griffin, CP3, Wade, and Lebron are the worst floppers, but last year when 152 NBA players were asked who the biggest floppers in the game were neither of those four players were even listed in the top 15.

So be prepared to see major fines imposed on non superstars the likes of Varejao, Scola, Battier, and Barea as opposed to superstars such as Griffin and Lebron. I expect to see numerous threads next season complaining about how the Clippers and Heat are not getting penalized for flopping.
    yup. It's because people let their personal negativity get in the way of fair opinions. Most hilarious of all is Kobe is on that list, not any of the Heat or Clippers players yet Lakers fans will STILL rip the Clippers apart as being floppers and ignore their own guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Stop trolling. Anyways back to topic as Sic said.... it's likely going to be interpreted differently and abused by refs. League favorites will continue to get away with it while everybody else gets fines.
    This guy. You didn't even click the link and read up on it The refs don't make the call. It's a post game league office ruling

Official Release
    Posted Oct 3, 2012 1:25 PM
    New York -- The NBA will adopt an anti-flopping rule beginning with the 2012-13 season, Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations Stu Jackson announced Wednesday.
    "Flops have no place in our game -- they either fool referees into calling undeserved fouls or fool fans into thinking the referees missed a foul call," Jackson said. "Accordingly, both the Board of Governors and the Competition Committee felt strongly that any player who the league determines, following video review, to have committed a flop should -- after a warning -- be given an automatic penalty."
    "Flopping" will be defined as any physical act that appears to have been intended to cause the referees to call a foul on another player. The primary factor in determining whether a player committed a flop is whether his physical reaction to contact with another player is inconsistent with what would reasonably be expected given the force or direction of the contact.
    Physical acts that constitute legitimate basketball plays (such as moving to a spot in order to draw an offensive foul) and minor physical reactions to contact will not be treated as flops.
    Any player who is determined to have committed a flop during the regular season will be subject to the following:
    Violation 1: Warning
    Violation 2: $5,000 fine
    Violation 3: $10,000 fine
    Violation 4: $15,000 fine
    Violation 5: $30,000 fine
    If a player violates the anti-flopping rule six times or more, he will be subject to discipline that is reasonable under the circumstances, including an increased fine and/or suspension.
    The league will announce at a later date a separate set of penalties for flopping that will apply during the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    You can have 5000 pages of rules but it all boils down to how the refs implement them, I hope they show zero tolerance for a year at least.
    Exactly. If the refs don't implement the rule the same, it is pointless. But boy oh boy. I can't wait to see this rule in place. The Clippers are going to be in trouble. I still laugh when I see that Reggie Evans flop, from the Grizz/Clippers game. Oh my word. Oh and that Chris Bosh flop on Carlos Boozer. This is going to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    I have a feeling that even if this new rule is strictly enforced that it will not be to the satisfaction of many fans, primarily due to the fact that fans and players (and presumably by extention, officials) perceive different people as the primary culprits. I keep reading on ISH how Griffin, CP3, Wade, and Lebron are the worst floppers, but last year when 152 NBA players were asked who the biggest floppers in the game were neither of those four players were even listed in the top 15.

So be prepared to see major fines imposed on non superstars the likes of Varejao, Scola, Battier, and Barea as opposed to superstars such as Griffin and Lebron. I expect to see numerous threads next season complaining about how the Clippers and Heat are not getting penalized for flopping.
    No doubt those players you mentioned are just as guilty as flopping. I think the difference between them, and say CP3, is the way in which they flop. CP3 has some legendary feminin style, limp handed, aerial acrobatic style flopping. Even before he was a Clipper. I think its that kind of flopping that mostly enrages fans and players and ultimately forced the NBA to make these kind of changes. Certain players will have targets on their backs for sure. Blake and CP3 are on the top of that list, one would think (along with Manu). Someone is going to be made an example out of, its juat a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    yup. It's because people let their personal negativity get in the way of fair opinions. Most hilarious of all is Kobe is on that list, not any of the Heat or Clippers players yet Lakers fans will STILL rip the Clippers apart as being floppers and ignore their own guys.
    In no way do I deny the Lakers have had some LEGENDARY floppers. Divac and Fish immediately come to mind. But so is Kobe, but not in the same way. Kobe is a verbal, fling his hands in the air and yell AEYYY, flopper. Chris Paul is a throw his head back, let out a faint sigh, backflip helicopter kick flail to the ground holding his balls and knee while looking at the ref, flopper. Not even in the same ballpark.

So no, I wont ignore the Lakers flopper.

I hope they actually follow through with the suspensions after the fifth flop. I doubt they will. But that would put a stop to most of it.

Also, only five until the max money penalty? Manu Ginobili, if you didn't tell him of this rule, might get there in one game!

Players wouldn't need to flop if the refs made the right calls. It's seriously that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco
    Players wouldn't need to flop if the refs made the right calls. It's seriously that simple.
    Um. No.

Some players try to create a foul from nothing. That's not "helping the ref make the right call." That's gaming the system.

The flops where you fall harder than you would with the contact given aren't as bad as the ones where you fall and weren't touched at all. I think you, of all people, should know the difference.

Also, awesome poll on ESPN right now:

I see your point but I disagree. A player not getting a call is not the only reason for flopping. Some could do it because it comes natural to them. Some could do it because their team is losing and they need to make something happen. Some could do it because, why not? There wasnt any penalty FOR doing it. Until now. Is soccer flopping blamed on the refs too? For not making the right calls?

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    Um. No.

Some players try to create a foul from nothing. That's not "helping the ref make the right call." That's gaming the system.

The flops where you fall harder than you would with the contact given aren't as bad as the ones where you fall and weren't touched at all. I think you, of all people, should know the difference.

ESPN pampering their goldenboy Blake Griffin as usual. They want to shove his dunks down everyones throats so they they intentionally left him out of the flop poll hoping people won't notice. His greatest asset of all isn't dunks tho - it's his league-leading arrogance, fake mean-mugging, and most of all, his dangerous flops.

look at him getting under Pau's feet right here guy should be suspended for that sh*t.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 10-03-2012 at 04:00 PM.

The players took it too far, they make it look like they're dodging bullets out there.

Local High School Star strifed169's Avatar

This will change the game drastically imo, players will think harder about standing in front of a driving player's lane and offensive systems will have more reign to do what they like, should be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

ESPN pampering their goldenboy Blake Griffin as usual. They want to shove his dunks down everyones throats so they they intentionally left him out of the flop poll hoping people won't notice. His greatest asset of all isn't dunks tho - it's his league-leading arrogance, fake mean-mugging, and most of all, his dangerous flops.

look at him getting under Pau's feet right here guy should be suspended for that sh*t.
    You're reaching, man. I consider the guys in the poll worse/more frequent floppers than Blake Griffin. (Though he does flop a hell of a lot.) Can't include two Clippers, either! And CP3 has the Clipper Flop Crown on lock.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    Um. No.

The complete someone else section people voted for griffin

ESPN has to protect the highlight reel
    Last edited by brandonislegend; 10-03-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Does any of this cover people instigating contact where there should be none? Like Durant's swipe through move. Or Wade barrelling to the defender and throwing a behind his back hook flip shot (obviously no real attempt to score, rather than to get fouled).

They were able to do something about Wade's pumpfake to throw himself to defender that he did a lot in '06. They should be able to do something similar.

I really think the "standing jump" rule should be enforced more. I like it back in the 90's where people went up to challenge the shot, not slide underneath and hope for stoppage of play. It ruins the flow in games. For cryin out loud, the offensive player is the one coming towards the defenders place, the defender just jumped.