Lowry
    DeRozan
    Johnson
    Ross
    Valanciunas
    Patterson
    Vasquez

Find needs for:

-Size at SF and C off the bench. Two way players at both positions. Low post scoring threat would be the biggest need.

I don't mind keeping some veteran presence, but obviously not at the range of what Salmons has next year. I wouldn't mind Hayes mentoring Jonas. I would also like to see De Colo get some playing time.
    I've been impressed by Hayes and I would bring back PsychoT because the option is so reasonable. I agree we need a better SF option off the bench. But I'd prefer a starting calibre PF to a C off the bench. (But I wouldn't mind bringing Gray back for 1-2 million). Andray Blatche may be a good option as he can play both front court positions and gives an option at starting PF.

Default Re: Next years raptors

4 years more of Lowry is too much, give him 3 years at 32 mill and even then he may lose interest and get tired of sacrificing his body by the 3rd.

Please keep Patterson, he will take mid-level money and will be more than worth it

Yeah, I forgot about Hansbrough. He would be a keeper too, but I think were pretty deep in the PF position as it is.

I wouldn't mind a better PF starting over Amir, as I've heard rumors about Chris Bosh coming back in this scenario. Blatche is a very good talent, but I've seen a lot of negativity about his play from Nets fans. It seems that he's very inconsistent, needs the ball in his hands to make something happen, and doesn't play very good defense.

Local High School Star

The CBA requires teams to have a minimum 13 (12 active 1 inactive) but promises the players association a league wide average of 14.

DeColo is UFA. Not sure where /if he lands. If you waive Salmons I assume you keep Bucycks and Stone and 1st round draft pick to make your 13-14 roster.
    ___

Basically if you dont resign Salmons you have collective cap hits of $1Million and $600M for Camby for non roster spots. $1.6Mill gone from the cap.
    (If I understand correctly resigning Salmons obviously has only direct cap hit).

__

Our "realistic FA pool" at forward I guess is below... but realize if you sign one below it is effectively $1-$1.6M higher as the player is taking the place of a (two) non player cap hits.

I am not sure any of these guys come for less than $8Million (or want more) plus the $1.6 on the books...but if you want to be the GM - you have to be prepared to sign one of these guys...

Depending on price I would take one of these guys over Salmons - its just price and years I would worry about.

Ray Allen Miami Heat U
    Thabo Sefolosha Oklahoma City Thunder U
    Ben Gordon Charlotte Bobcats U
    Brandon Rush Utah Jazz U
    Lance Stephenson Indiana Pacers U
    Danny Granger LA Clippers U
    Luol Deng Cleaveland Cavs U
    Caron Butler Milwaukee Bucks U
    Shawn Marion Dallas Mavericks U
    Pau Gasol L.A. Lakers U
    Rashard Lewis Miami Heat U
    Kris Humphries Boston Celtics U

Hence I dont mind Salmons in the "right contract"; but I get a lot of guys dont feel he adds $5Million in value... I just think that $5M in value is kind of the going rate......

(and the cap hits we take on Klow new deal etc etc etc).
    Last edited by Jballer; 03-18-2014 at 11:50 AM.

I'm fine with letting Fields play out the last year of that horrible contract coming off the bench instead of resigning Salmons. Maybe he will develop some trade value and we can flip his expiring contract for an asset towards the deadline.

Only resign Salmons if its a two year deal with a team option on the second year for $4-$6 million tops (The Ujiri Special).

Quote Originally Posted by Toni
    I'm fine with letting Fields play out the last year of that horrible contract coming off the bench instead of resigning Salmons. Maybe he will develop some trade value and we can flip his expiring contract for an asset towards the deadline.

Only resign Salmons if its a two year deal with a team option on the second year for $4-$6 million tops (The Ujiri Special).
    I agree with the first statement. I will be shocked if Salmons lands a contract anywhere in the NBA for more than the vet minimum.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Jballer
    Ray Allen Miami Heat U
    Thabo Sefolosha Oklahoma City Thunder U
    Ben Gordon Charlotte Bobcats U
    Brandon Rush Utah Jazz U
    Lance Stephenson Indiana Pacers U
    Danny Granger LA Clippers U
    Luol Deng Cleaveland Cavs U
    Caron Butler Milwaukee Bucks U
    Shawn Marion Dallas Mavericks U
    Pau Gasol L.A. Lakers U
    Rashard Lewis Miami Heat U
    Kris Humphries Boston Celtics U
    No to any of those players except for Stephenson. Those are all treadmill signings except for Lance who I don't think leaves Indiana anyways.

Salmons needs to have his option declined and then replaced. Ideally, we'd fill that spot through the draft as there are some interesting wing prospects that are projected to be available at our spot(20th) such as Jerami Grant, Kyle Anderson, and PJ Hairston. A young wing with potential who can grow and develop alongside Derozan and Ross while being the first wing off the bench.

Most importantly, any of those potential signings just gives Casey(assuming he is even brought back) another excuse to keep Ross on the bench.

Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

Excellent posts everybody. Nobody going off on people for their ideas is a breath of fresh air on here.

I tend to lean towards allowing Salmons to go with the buyout and not bringing him back.
    Fields can do everything that Salmons does, is younger and a better rebounder/ cutter. Him and De Colo are definitely able to fill the roles by Salmons, ball-handling. They actually stay in their roles better. Don't get me wrong, Salmons will play in the playoffs over both guys because Casey loves him. Ujiri knows he can't trade Fields, so Salmons is gone. It will make no difference on the results of next years team. They actually get younger and more athletic by playing fields and de Colo.

Lowry Vazquez De colo
    Derozen, De Colo
    Ross Fields
    Amir Patterson, phycho T.
    Val Hayes Draft Pick. Maybe Bachynski from Arizona state

but most likely best player available. I trust Masai to make an excellent pick.

Let everybody grow for one more year. You then have de colo, Vazquez, fields,, psycho t. hayes, amir coming off the books. I think they should probably lock up Patterson.
    You then have some cap space for the summer of 2015 as well as two first round draft picks. Let the young guys grow together and if Derozen and Lowry continue to play at an all-star level you just have to hope that Ross and/or val make huge leaps and you are suddenly a real contender in the east when Miami starts to get past their window. Then you take the plunge and go over the salary cap.

This is the totally optimistic view, but keeping this young roster together, add 3 first round draft picks in the next two years, plus cap space in 2015 and it seems like this franchise has really turned the corner.
    Last edited by barkleynash; 03-23-2014 at 11:44 AM.

I've noticed a couple people mention that we have 2 picks in 2015 but I think that is incorrect. We have the knicks pick in 2016.

Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

You are right. We have our pick this year and next and have two picks in 2016

Local High School Star

My bad - I thought it was not this draft but next... memory didn't look it up.

Saw a basketball once

Chris Bosh anyone?

He could be a free agent if he opts out. Just asking does anyone else think that a front court of Val-Bosh-Amir would be lethal?

I might wrong but I think starting lineup would be Nasty:

Lowry
    DeRozan
    Ross
    Bosh
    Val

What do you guys think? Would he even consider opting out and coming back?

Decent college freshman Dr.Funk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by letshaveacorona
    Chris Bosh anyone?

He could be a free agent if he opts out. Just asking does anyone else think that a front court of Val-Bosh-Amir would be lethal?

I might wrong but I think starting lineup would be Nasty:

Lowry
    DeRozan
    Ross
    Bosh
    Val

What do you guys think? Would he even consider opting out and coming back?

I doubt he would but he would be a great fit with this roster.

Local High School Star

I guess I have to take it back. Salmons is gone at any price.

I looked at that "other website" and posted in some number (speculative) on Klow, Rookie Draft pick cost. Assuming the Camby hit is still on our cap and Landry Fields is actually as high as his final year salary - we will only be able to keep DeColo and Bucyks.

You add 1 first round rookie deals at ~ $1.3M (18th pick so to speak) this year and we are at cap 2014/15. Add in 1 first round next year we are only $18Million under in 2015/16 making assumptions about Vasquez and Patterson (say $5.5Million each).

No free agents. No Salmons. No Stone (or Bucyks).

The only room to move is Cedric/Fields/ Novak unless you consider moving a Ross (not likely given cap constraints).

DeMar DeRozan $9,500,000.00
    Amir Johnson $7,000,000.00
    Kyle Lowry $11,000,000.00
    Chuck Hayes $5,958,750.00
    Landry Fields $8,500,000.00
    Steve Novak $3,445,947.00
    Jonas Valanciunas $3,678,360.00
    Marcus Camby $4,177,208.00
    Tyler Hansbrough $3,326,235.00
    Patrick Patterson $4,319,473.00
    Terrence Ross $2,793,960.00
    Greivis Vasquez $3,203,780.00
    Nando De Colo $900,000.00
    Dwight Buycks $816,482.00
    1st round rookie $1,300,000.00

Total $69,920,195.00
    Last edited by Jballer; 04-16-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

That's assuming Patterson and Vazquez take their qualifying offers. Vazquez should get a better offer sheet on the market which the Raptors may not be able to match.