Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Is it safe to say Lebron is better than Magic Johnson or Larry Bird?

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    Can someone please explain how Bird is better than Lebron? What exactly makes Bird a better player? Is he a better scorer? No. Better ball handler? No. Better passer? Not really. Better defender? No. More versatile? No. More athletic? No. Better shooter? Sure, but not by much ( especially with Lebron shooting over 50% from the field since like 2008). Better rebounder? Sure, but not by much.
    In terms of passing, its hard to say. Different types of passers if that makes sense. Lebron's overwhelming physical traits allow him to make some insane passes. Such as those incredible wrist flick passes that whizzes the ball through the key and finds the man. As well as the passes across from one side of the court to the other, even when moving in the opposite direction. Bird was a more instinctive passer, and saw things slightly quicker than Lebron IMO.
    I'd say Lebron is the better playmaker overall though, due to his ability to get in the paint and kick the ball around.

Bird is also a better post player, rebounder, shooter.

In terms of versatility, I'd say its even. Although Lebron can guard more positions on the court, Larry could probably play more due to his superior rebounding and height.

I agree with you that now Lebron has probably surpassed Bird as a basketball player, but don't act like its not extremely close. With Magic its clear cut for me, but this one is still extremely close.

Default Re: Is it safe to say Lebron is better than Magic Johnson or Larry Bird?

Nonsense.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL arifgokcen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    Can someone please explain how Bird is better than Lebron? What exactly makes Bird a better player? Is he a better scorer? No. Better ball handler? No. Better passer? Not really. Better defender? No. More versatile? No. More athletic? No. Better shooter? Maybe, but not by much ( especially with Lebron shooting over 50% from the field since like 2008). Better rebounder? Sure, but not by much.
    Bird is a better rebounder(though lebron is close especially when he plays close to the basket) and better shooter(as strange as it sound not by much)
    In terms of passing i would say bird has the edge but lebron has the edge on playmaking.
    Overall lebron with his ath.ability and defense is a better player.

Peak lebron is better than both peak bird and magic.If he keeps this up there is gonna be an argument "who had the better peak jordan or lebron".

This is how good lebron has been.Of course anything short of championship(a very dominant one) would put a big dent on this season.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
    Nonsense.
    please present a fact based argument as to why this is "Nonsense".

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by arifgokcen
    Bird is a better rebounder(though lebron is close especially when he plays close to the basket) and better shooter(as strange as it sound not by much)
    In terms of passing i would say bird has the edge but lebron has the edge on playmaking.
    Overall lebron with his ath.ability and defense is a better player.

Peak lebron is better than both peak bird and magic.If he keeps this up there is gonna be an argument "who had the better peak jordan or lebron".

This is how good lebron has been.Of course anything short of championship(a very dominant one) would put a big dent on this season.
    Pretty much this...

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

I think he is more of a jack of all trades than either of them, and he is more unstoppable when scoring.

There are things that Magic and Bird do better. Like Magic runs the offense and pass better. Bird plays better off the ball, rebound, and have equal or better passing skills than LeBron. And Bird could put up similar stats like LBJ. Both of them are better in the post in their peak

But LBJ is a better defender and versatile defender, and he is more efficient when he is on the floor. I think he is harder to stop than either of them.

Can someone please explain how Bird is better than Lebron? What exactly makes Bird a better player? Is he a better scorer? No. Better ball handler? No. Better passer? Not really. More versatile? No. More athletic? No. Better shooter? Sure, but not by much. Better rebounder? Sure, but not by much.
    Bird could play better off the ball and has better post moves. And he could also pass a bit better to me. And it's impressive that he could get a bunch of assists while not dominating the ball. He could score similar to LeBron with similar efficiency, and is the better rebounder. He could play better PF and once average 28.7 ppg and 10.7 rebounds. LeBron in his career never average 9 rebounds a game in the regular season. But he average 9 rebounds in the playoffs.

To me, Bird played better offensive at times because of his efficiency and great off the ball movement. LBJ cannot play like that because he isn't as good off the ball. If he was, then Wade wouldn't have to change his game as much.

But this year, LBJ is so efficient that it doesn't matter much. And he has improved on almost everything except his FTs. So, I feel I can say current LBJ seems better, but it seems close to me between them.
    Last edited by Micku; 02-26-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Anyone who says no is just biased (for one reason or another) and is likely giving too much weight to team accomplishments instead of looking at the individual player and how effective and efficient he is as an individual player.
    I could just as eqaily(and probably more correctly) say that most who dismiss the idea that he isnt never saw Bird and Magic play a game that wasnt on hardwood classics.

Ive seen all 3...a lot. I wouldnt take Lebron over either of them. And I dont even remember really young Bird.

You could make a case to take Lebron and I wouldnt call you an idiot for it......but I wouldnt.

Id say both of them had even more of the main thing id use to justify taking Lebron over the likes of Kobe....they generated chemistry and made other players perform at a high level night in night out.

Plus they are on the short list of guys id say were better passers at their size, they both had a will to win I think blows Lebrons away, and both proved they could score him...if they chose to. And I believe the list of players they make worse with their presence is virtually non existant.

Unselfish as Lebron may be he forces his teammates to bend to his style of game. And effective one...but hes a guy id hesitate to put next to say....Kevin Mchale. I dont see James Worthy having the same career next to Lebron.

Lebron needs role players and stars who gradually accept their position below him and his ball control. Dude is clearing out the likes of Wade sending them to the corners so he can back out to halfcourt and drive and dish 3-4 times a game. I dont know if thats gonna fly with people not inclined to be put in the back seat.

I dont think Lebron is too selfish to change...I think hes too effective to feel he should. And really...he is. But its not what id want on my team. You couldnt build a team like the Spurs with Lebron on it. A "Next man up..." everyone does his thing no matter who plays or who doesnt...chemistry driven team. He takes too much on himself and when hes off it leaves too much to be done.

A magic or bird team with the same players I think makes for a better TEAM....

I dont think its by chance that he won damn near 70 games with role players but 50 something with Wade, Bosh, and similar role players.

Let me take one....its probably Bird....with Magic if I dont trust my guards...

I wouldnt really consider Lebron. Doesnt make him like miles worse. You can put him in their general area. I just dont want to build the team he needs.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wade316
    Without a doubt his peak and prime is EASILY better than Magic and Bird. F[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]ck nostalgia.
    Thank you.

omg all you mofos are going based on nostalgia. The guy you watched when you were a kid.

Well guess what? YOU'RE A DAMN ADULT NOW. Who cares what you watched hwen you were a kid.

Lebron is WAY bettter than bird and magic. Freakin some daisy duke wearing old fogeys better than lebron. LMAO.

Serious playground baller RobertdeMeijer's Avatar

What KBlaze says.
    Teams have to fit LeBron, but Bird is able to fit the team.
    And Magic like nobody else was able to turn any team into a force.

LeBron is really really great as an individual, only second to MJ in my opinion. But there are four other teammates out there, and LeBron needs the right kind.

i love how this thread is full of socket puppets, the ph@ggots don't even have the courage to use their real account. How pathetic is that?

This thread is probably number6 + Pauk with all their socket puppets. This morons think if they do this thread every week people agree with them.

Comparing a cherry picker, stat padder, ring chaser, that chokes even in regular season on every close game to Bird... or even magic.

Its pretty obvious in this thread who started watching basketball in the last few years

Id rank them Bird, Magic, LeBron... I think LeBron needs to build up his resume and come through in more big games before you can even mention him with these guys, or anyone in the top 10 for that matter...
    If we're being completely honest, the guy has only really had 1 hands down successful season..

The quitting on the Cavs, the choke in the 2011 finals, you cant just overlook all that because he won a single ring Especially after forming a super team to achieve that ring.

I have no problem with him being placed in peoples top10 if he has the achievements to back it, with the way he is playing now it looks like that will happen. But to say he is right now better than Bird/Magic? Please....

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by RobertdeMeijer
    What KBlaze says.
    Teams have to fit LeBron, but Bird is able to fit the team.
    And Magic like nobody else was able to turn any team into a force.

LeBron is really really great as an individual, only second to MJ in my opinion. But there are four other teammates out there, and LeBron needs the right kind.
    Are you smoking crack righ now? The team has to fit Lebron? LMAO. The dude does everything. There is no fit. Lebron could join any team and the league and you know what that coach would say to him?

"lebron just do what you do."

Thats all that is needed for him to fit into a team.

Great as an individual compared to MJ? Yet has more assists...... hmmm. MJ only passed when he got doubled. Lebron CREATES shots for people. That is not what MJ did. He created them by coincidence of being doubled(and still might not pass).

And the big 3 technically "should not" have fit together. so that makes this statement even more dumb. Lord man do you dudes just listen to games on teh radio or something? I mean what do you guys watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatstogey
    Are you smoking crack righ now? The team has to fit Lebron? LMAO. The dude does everything. There is no fit. Lebron could join any team and the league and you know what that coach would say to him?

"lebron just do what you do."

Thats all that is needed for him to fit into a team.

Great as an individual compared to MJ? Yet has more assists...... hmmm. MJ only passed when he got doubled. Lebron CREATES shots for people. That is not what MJ did. He created them by coincidence of being doubled(and still might not pass).

And the big 3 technically "should not" have fit together. so that makes this statement even more dumb. Lord man do you dudes just listen to games on teh radio or something? I mean what do you guys watch?

Yeah just get out there and win LeBron... 2011 finals says hi

Quote Originally Posted by coin24
    Yeah just get out there and win LeBron... 2011 finals says hi
    How about Maxwell taking home the FMVP over Bird? Or McHale outplaying Bird in his freaking prime(85 Finals)? *** u.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I could just as eqaily(and probably more correctly) say that most who dismiss the idea that he isnt never saw Bird and Magic play a game that wasnt on hardwood classics.

Ive seen all 3...a lot. I wouldnt take Lebron over either of them. And I dont even remember really young Bird.

You could make a case to take Lebron and I wouldnt call you an idiot for it......but I wouldnt.

Id say both of them had even more of the main thing id use to justify taking Lebron over the likes of Kobe....they generated chemistry and made other players perform at a high level night in night out.

Plus they are on the short list of guys id say were better passers at their size, they both had a will to win I think blows Lebrons away, and both proved they could score him...if they chose to. And I believe the list of players they make worse with their presence is virtually non existant.

Unselfish as Lebron may be he forces his teammates to bend to his style of game. And effective one...but hes a guy id hesitate to put next to say....Kevin Mchale. I dont see James Worthy having the same career next to Lebron.

Lebron needs role players and stars who gradually accept their position below him and his ball control. Dude is clearing out the likes of Wade sending them to the corners so he can back out to halfcourt and drive and dish 3-4 times a game. I dont know if thats gonna fly with people not inclined to be put in the back seat.

I dont think Lebron is too selfish to change...I think hes too effective to feel he should. And really...he is. But its not what id want on my team. You couldnt build a team like the Spurs with Lebron on it. A "Next man up..." everyone does his thing no matter who plays or who doesnt...chemistry driven team. He takes too much on himself and when hes off it leaves too much to be done.

A magic or bird team with the same players I think makes for a better TEAM....

I dont think its by chance that he won damn near 70 games with role players but 50 something with Wade, Bosh, and similar role players.

Let me take one....its probably Bird....with Magic if I dont trust my guards...

I wouldnt really consider Lebron. Doesnt make him like miles worse. You can put him in their general area. I just dont want to build the team he needs.
    I sorta understand what you mean in that you can build more types of teams around Magic/Bird as opposed to Lebron but i think a team built to maximize Lebron's strengths would be better than a team built to maximize Magic/Bird's.