Local High School Star

Default Watching the competition in the East

Note the announcements that Pistons made. I may be guilty of over respecting Joe Dumars but there it is....

Terrence Williams and Jonny Flynn - the 2009 - 11th and 6th picks respectively to non guarenteed contracts.

On this team I am not sure they play much or even a whole season - but Flynn pushes Knight to get better.

As I say not the end of the world for the Raps - but serious low risk - high potential (maybe) moves by Detroit

Local High School Star

Default Re: Watching the competition in the East

Hoops other website also suggesting Josh Howard - solid role player on all those great Spurs teams - is talking to Philly.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Williams is intriguing. He has some nice skills but unfortunately he's a moron. If only someone could make him realize that he can't shoot, he'd be a solid rotation player.

Flynn is total trash though. Any team could've had him and I'm not sad the Raptors didn't try.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    Williams is intriguing. He has some nice skills but unfortunately he's a moron. If only someone could make him realize that he can't shoot, he'd be a solid rotation player.

Flynn is total trash though. Any team could've had him and I'm not sad the Raptors didn't try.
    Dont disagree at all...

Williams seems to be hampered by ego according to most sound bytes off the internet.

Flynn has a lot lot lot to prove. I guess the thing about the signing that makes me ponder is (1) he is obviously well behind Brandon Knight and a plethora of swing men for 2 rotation in Detroit - so clearly he better play smart off the bench to hang onto his NBA career..... and (2) he was a top end draft pick so there is some talent.

With Flynn did he just play stupid ? Was he ever in the right system position (Minny and Portland I recall???) ?? I cant say I ever followed Flynn game.

Again disclosure - I admit to respecting Joe D a lot. The man lost Grant Hill - argueably the best player in the NBA at "that time" and then built a consistent deep playoff team for multiple seasons and a championship team out of pieces like Tay/Rip/Chauncey/BenG. That may be a while ago but I never count Detroit out cause of Dumars.

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

Joe Dumars was great in assembling that Championship team and the core that lasted a few seasons, but since then he has taken a LOT of gambles that just haven't panned out.

I respect the man still, for a few reasons. His game, his ability to build that championship team, and having the guts to take gambles. Unfortunately, as I said before, his gambles the past couple years haven't worked out as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlain
    Joe Dumars was great in assembling that Championship team and the core that lasted a few seasons, but since then he has taken a LOT of gambles that just haven't panned out.

I respect the man still, for a few reasons. His game, his ability to build that championship team, and having the guts to take gambles. Unfortunately, as I said before, his gambles the past couple years haven't worked out as planned.
    Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond could be a ridiculously young and talented front court. Maybe the best in the East in a few years, if Drummond puts it all together of course.

I wouldn't really call either a gamble, though. He's definitely drafted well, but the additions of Charlie Villanueva and Ben Gordon were poor because of the overpayment for both and the terrible return. He was taking a risk it just didn't work out.

Local High School Star

Agreed Dumars took gambles on Charlie V and Ben G - but he is not so committed to his gambles that he sticks with the player forever....

(Cross Reference: Colangelo - Bargnani)

This article is at bleacher report today - a projection of bigest surprises of the coming season.

I am already on record as saying the Raptors made a mistake in the draft. I think we should have picked Drummond. I think with Drummond - even if we didnt keep him - we would have been a force in any trade negotiations on Bynum/Howard/Iggy or an upcoming trade negotiations for Gay/Josh Smith - hawks if they retool another way.

If this actually happens

___

Besides Jared Sullinger and Perry Jones, rookie Andre Drummond experienced one of the largest draft-night falls during the 2012 NBA draft, slipping to the Detroit Pistons at No. 9 overall.

With Greg Monroe by his side, expect Drummond to make a healthy chunk of those eight teams immediately regret not selecting him.

The 6'10", 270-pound Drummond may still need to work on his fundamentals, but he comes into the league with quite possibly the most NBA-ready body of any rookie. He's got the height and mass to throw himself down into the post and already guard the league's elite big men, even if he'll be taken to school by said centers every so often.

Monroe, Brandon Knight and Rodney Stuckey should be the Pistons' three offensive focal points, allowing Drummond to largely hone his attention on the defensive side of the floor.

If and when the Pistons unleash the Monroe-Drummond frontcourt, the size, speed and skill of the duo could put Drummond firmly in the NBA Rookie of the Year conversation by year's end.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ng-camp/page/7

Good point, Jballer. Even if we didn't want to keep Drummond, he could have become a very valuable trade asset.

Though, I was happy with the pick because Ross is a player I liked. I definitely see where you are coming from though.

Local High School Star

Washington Wizards announce John Wall out for 8 weeks - leg thingy....

No surgury...

Now then I "may have to" reassess my Washington in 8th if this is serious because I think a lot of basketball experts feel Wall will shine this season with the improved talent around him....

Actually Wall having injury issues might frankly be bad/good (??!!) for the Raptors unless we are absolutely sure we can push to make the playoffs even in 8th position - just to cut the Rockets out of our draft pick

I dunno Mixed emotions.