Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 313839404142434451 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Season of the tank!-2013-14 regular season

[quote]The Jazz actually had more open shots (defined as a shot without a defender within 4 feet) than the Mavericks tonight, 42 to 37. Unfortunately, The Jazz made just 15 of those shots (for just 35% on open shots!), compared to 23 makes for the Mavs (62%). This outweighed the Jazz

Former Jazz point guard Devin Harris has enjoyed his new back-up role in the back court. He was a spark off the bench with 12 points, three assists and three rebounds in a mere 20 minutes.
    I thought he could have been good in that role with the Jazz. Hated him as a starter.

With 20 points on Wednesday, Trey Burke became the first Jazz rookie since Karl Malone to score 20-plus points in 10 or more games in his rookie season.

[QUOTE]With the Jazz, owners of a 23-42 record, firmly in rebuilding mode, attendance

By Gordon Monson | | Tribune Columnist

[QUOTE]Ten things the Jazz can do in their final 18 games to improve their future

[QUOTE]Marvin Williams missed practice this morning with a lower back strain. The veteran forward was scheduled to undergo an MRI today to determine his status going forward.

Those results have yet to be released as of about 5 p.m. Thursday [UPDATE: Williams' MRI was rescheduled for Friday morning at 11, meaning his status likely won't be made public until about 90 minutes before tipoff tomorrow], but while we wait it's worth nothing that Williams has had some back issues throughout his career:

[QUOTE]The statue of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar outside Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles is a frozen portrait of the Hall of Famer

John Lucas III wore a protective boot on his right ankle Wednesday, after spraining it the day before in practice.

"He tried to block a shot," Corbin said of the 5-foot-11 point guard, before breaking into a laugh with reporters. "We like the hustle. He knew right when he tried to block the shot it wasn

[QUOTE]In back-to-back losses to Atlanta and Dallas, the Jazz gave up 112 and 108 points.

According to Corbin, however, his team has not regressed on defense. It is just playing faster, resulting in more possessions and more opportunities to score for both teams.

"We want to speed it up and run a little bit more with this group," Corbin explained. "You could slow the game to a crawl, but we want to play a certain way

When he was a kid, Trey Burke looked up to smaller point guards like Iverson and Chris Paul.

For a while, the much-younger Burke even had a hairstyle similar to Iverson's.

"I had braids when I was younger," Burke admitted. "But, man, I was too tender-headed. My mom would braid my hair and it would hurt too bad, so I ended up starting to get haircuts."

Burke, who grew up to be 6-1, continued to try to emulate some of the 6-foot Iverson's crafty and creative game.

"(Iverson) was a guy that I watched a lot. I think I did imitate him a lot at a young age," Burke said. "He was one of those guys who was just a special player, his size and he was able to score on pretty much anybody."

While his shooting percentage has dipped to 37.1 percent, Burke is working on trying to become more effective at scoring near the basket a la Iverson.
    37% is very AI like.

[QUOTE]But it wasn't just Iverson's scoring prowess that impressed Burke.

"He had that competitive nature and that killer instinct," the 21-year-old said. "I think that allowed my love for the game to grow, too, just to see a guy that small

[QUOTE]I took a look at Enes Kanter

[QUOTE]For the season Kanter and Favors have played 503 minutes together. In those 503 minutes the Jazz offensive rating is 92.7 points per 100 possessions. This is by far the worst of any of the Jazz 30 most used playing pairs, only 8 are under 100 points per possession. This is a continuation of last season when the Jazz struggled to score with both Kanter and Favors on the floor.

Last year, with Kanter and Favors on the floor the Jazz were great defensively. This season that has not been the case. Instead, the Jazz are allowing 113.4 points per 100 possessions with both of them on the floor. Only the tandems of Kanter and Burks at 114.2 and Kanter and Marvin 116.5 pts per 100 possessions are worse.

Most of these minutes happened early in the season when the Jazz were without Trey and Marvin and were outmatched every night.

Since November 24th when Trey entered the starting line-up Favors and Kanter have played 200 minutes together. In those 200 minutes the Jazz offensive rating is 98.7, an improvement, but the defensive rating is still an abysmal 115.5. This is the second worst defensive pair (Marvin and Kanter are 115.9) of the 60 most used pairs since November 24th.

Over those 200 minutes opponents EFG% has been 53.7 (league average is 50%, team average is 50.7). The Jazz have been a better offensive rebounding team, grabbing 27.7% of the offensive rebounds (team is 24.8%). However, on the defensive glass they team has grabbed 73.6% of the defensive rebounds below the team average of 74.8% Finally, the offense has been very turnover prone, turning it over 16.9% of their possessions, higher than any tandem that doesn

[QUOTE]there have been a fair share of bright spots for the Utah Jazz. One has been the recent play of point guard Diante Garrett. For a team with a long history of being able to find the proverbial diamonds in the rough through free agency and late draft picks, Garrett represents the latest success.

Trey Burke

Jazz played a good game tonight. Defensively they held the Clippers the #2 offensive team in the NBA, the #1 team over the last 10 games, a team that has been scoring 115 points a game to 96 points. The Clippers got it going in the 3rd quarter hitting 14 of 18 shots.
    Like so many games this year. One quarter did them in. Have a hard time putting 48 minutes together. Which with their pg and depth situation it's not surprising.

[QUOTE]The Jazz lead it 70-60 with 3:30 left in the 3rd and the thought went through my mind that maybe the Jazz could pull this off. It must have crossed the Clippers mind also because they promptly went on a 17 to 2 run. Chris Paul took over the game and the Clippers defense amped it up.

The Jazz don

[QUOTE]Tyrone Corbin has said that he will make a concerted effort to play Burke, Burks, Hayward, Favors and Kanter together.

For the season the 5 man grouping has played 54 minutes together. That makes them 12th most used 5 man lineup for the Jazz this season. As I documented earlier playing Favors and Kanter together had not yielded positive results which moved Coach Corbin away from using this grouping.

Coach Corbin played the young 5 together for 18 minutes over 4 games in January and got limited results. In the 18 minutes the Jazz were outscored by 44-35. Defensively the group really struggled allowing 123.5 pts per 100 possessions. (League average is 103.7, worst team in the NBA is 108). Offensively, the group had success, scoring at a rate of 110 pts per 100 possessions.

Surprisingly, the group not only didn