Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Serious playground baller

Default Shot consistantly comes up short

Its seems like my shot is always coming up short. I've tried using more legs and it still comes up short. I'll get hot every once in a while but it seems like I always go back to shooting short. Any tips on how to fix this

Default Re: Shot consistantly comes up short

If not the legs probably ur follow through? I fully flick mine.

National High School Star

i had this problem, i could never shoot threes, then i started to go gym. Go to the gym or get some weights and work your triceps.
    The down side to this is you have to hit the court again and practice jumpshots again, now i constantly over shoot lol.
    Another little tip is instead of aiming for the basket, or the front of the rim, pick a small spot at ther back of the basket, i aim for one of those little loops that the net goes through. Aim for the back and you shoul,d start hitting your jumpers.
    But yeah, my main key is work your triceps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    i had this problem, i could never shoot threes, then i started to go gym. Go to the gym or get some weights and work your triceps.
    The down side to this is you have to hit the court again and practice jumpshots again, now i constantly over shoot lol.
    Another little tip is instead of aiming for the basket, or the front of the rim, pick a small spot at ther back of the basket, i aim for one of those little loops that the net goes through. Aim for the back and you shoul,d start hitting your jumpers.
    But yeah, my main key is work your triceps.

I think the weight room may be some of my problem but not its probably not lack of hitting the weights. I've spend the last 12 or 13 years working out regularly. I think thats part of the reason my shot is so inconsistant.

National High School Star

yeah before i went gym, my jumpshot was deadly consistent from mid range, i rarely drove the basket cause i could just do a step back and score with out all the contact of a drive, but now since gym, i always overshoot, so i find my self driving more lol, since hitting the gym though i can now take alot more contact then before, talk about a double edged sword

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    yeah before i went gym, my jumpshot was deadly consistent from mid range, i rarely drove the basket cause i could just do a step back and score with out all the contact of a drive, but now since gym, i always overshoot, so i find my self driving more lol, since hitting the gym though i can now take alot more contact then before, talk about a double edged sword
    yeah, my ball handling is strong and I can get good shots but I just can't seem to make very many of them.

you should always warm up when you first get to the gym, dribble around a bit to get a feel of the ball, then start real close, (like a foot away from the basket) and make 5 swishes, then take a couple steps back, do the same thing, then keep moving back till you start banging three's.

Learning to shoot layups

Your thinking too much about it. Just shoot and do what comes naturally

You must be using legs incorrectly. Even a skinny girl should be able to shoot NBA three with correct technique. Don't do stationary shot. Always hop step or one two when you shoot.

just put a arch on that baby back

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    I think the weight room may be some of my problem but not its probably not lack of hitting the weights. I've spend the last 12 or 13 years working out regularly. I think thats part of the reason my shot is so inconsistant.
    any time you get stronger you'll need to adjust your shot, so the ideal here is first to go to the gym, to get to the point where you want to be, then quit (maybe go like once every 1.5-2 weeks,) and just practice your shot.

Going to the gym will always screw up your shot.

But in general you just need to practice shooting more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiarip
    any time you get stronger you'll need to adjust your shot, so the ideal here is first to go to the gym, to get to the point where you want to be, then quit (maybe go like once every 1.5-2 weeks,) and just practice your shot.

Going to the gym will always screw up your shot.

But in general you just need to practice shooting more.

I kind of figured this is my problem but its good to hear it from someone else. I've been lifting for years but only really playing basketball for a few rears.

Not airballing my layups anymore

For me, If I ever played right after lifting I'd have to move my range from outside back by like a foot, and forget about having touch from mid-range, but I never lifted heavy regularly. It just makes the ball feel so light.

I remember reading about Jordan that he'd hit the weights hard every morning and then go to the court and put up hundreds of jump shots

You have to keep that balance between your strength and your shot to be a consistent shooter. If you lift but don't have the time to devote to your shot, I don't know if there's an easy answer. Maybe you just aren't meant to be a jumpshooter

you are aiming at the front rim, aim at the back of the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by 305Baller
    you are aiming at the front rim, aim at the back of the rim.
    I try to aim at the cylinder as Dave Hopla recommends. I think it does have a lot to do with lifting, I may try to lighten up a little on my workouts the next few weeks and see if that helps.