Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 815161718192021 ... LastLast

Default Re: Mass Effect 3 update

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong
    Crappy, rushed ending. It didn't make much sense either, feels like they completely re-wrote/simplified the entire reason the for Reapers.
    This.

It was SOOOO EPIC. Until the last ten minutes. Then the [COLOR="White"]holo child shows up, and ruins it all. [/COLOR]So mad.

the inconsistencies with the ending didn't bother you guys or the fact that it doesn't tell you what happens with your squad and the fleet orbiting earth?

ENDING SPOILERS BELOW

I don't mind that Shepard dies/lives but the fact that this catalyst comes out of no where, my squad mates who were with me during the final mission end up on the Normandy which itself should have been orbiting earth but for some reason ends up near the relay at the edge of the solar system? How does Anderson end up on the Cidatel when he wasn't even part of the raiding team? The whole thing made no sense.

Bioware forums have whole dissertations on a theory about this whole thing being a reaper induced hallucination and that the real ending will be part of a DLC that we'll have to pay for, ofcourse.

If anyone is interested here is the thread on BW forums.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...ndex/9804665/1
    Last edited by shadow; 03-13-2012 at 12:26 AM.

I had heard the rumour that the entire ending was re-written due to the original script being leaked. Writing such a shitty ending just to fake it and have more DLC with the "real" ending is a risky proposition, especially considering how pissed off most people are with the ending.

Ive stayed away from spoiler about the ending so far or atleast as much as i could.

Ive pretty much done everything and i think its about time i go to earth.See how it goes.

I had heard the rumour that the entire ending was re-written due to the original script being leaked. Writing such a shitty ending just to fake it and have more DLC with the "real" ending is a risky proposition, especially considering how pissed off most people are with the ending.
    It's risky and stupid for sure but I find it hard to believe a top notch writing team can mess up that bad. That must've been some kool aid.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    I really love that they brought back some of the ambient and eerie music that was in ME 1. Like this for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w097Q...eature=related
    Agree but in general soundtrack was epic.

Banned

Sooo we don't get to see Tali's face...or any Quarian's for that matter huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    Sooo we don't get to see Tali's face...or any Quarian's for that matter huh?
    There was a slight uproar over that. You can see her unmasked face if your romanced her in ME2 in the picture on your desk, but it was nothing but a slightly altered stock photo.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/1071...ans-angry.html

This one beautiful track from Mass Effect 3 sums up the whole Mass Effect series to me. Tragic... heartfelt... heroic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5JvbD2Zc9I

Banned

There was a slight uproar over that. You can see her unmasked face if your romanced her in ME2 in the picture on your desk, but it was nothing but a slightly altered stock photo.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/1071...ans-angry.html
    Yeah I saw that picture on the wiki page, then I saw the original.

Bioware is trolling so hard with this game

Finished the game, so here is the LJJ overreaction response to it.

It makes me a bit sad that the final game is by far the most fun in terms of gameplay, but by far the worst in terms of writing. I was hoping for a great finale to the trilogy that combined the best of 1+2 to create a superior product, but it's not better than either of those games. That's not too bad, those games are amazing, but this really could have been one of the best games of all time and they really failed to hit that homerun and capitalize on the previous two games.

Spoilerific tidbits:

[COLOR="White"]So the rumors are true: the ending was pretty bad. It was a hack, deus ex machina ending that did not tie in with the rest of the story at all. And worse: it does not even make a lot of sense to call it a "good" ending, because how does the "good" ending destroy all synthetic life and technology? I worked hard over two games to make peace between the Geth and the Quarians, peace in the entire galaxy in the last game, but with this ending it doesn't even matter. Long space travel is destroyed forever and so are all synthetics.

They would have been much better off going with a slightly cliche ending that at least makes sense and gives a nice payoff for all the put in work.

I'm a bit disappointed how they handled all the ME2 characters as well. All of those characters have small disposable roles, and they all also have to have their "moment". That just makes it feel a bit too contrived for me. I understand that this is probably the only way they can realistically do it, but it makes me doubt the sense of creating such a long story with these type of differentiating parameters. It kind of defeats the purpose of having your choices matter when all the characters that can die are sort of disposable in the story anyway.[/COLOR]

Also, it's a total bit[COLOR="Black"]ch[/COLOR] move that you need to play multiplayer and all the lame tie-ins to get the perfect ending. So I played through three long single player games almost perfectly but I still can't get the best ending? I'm not really a guy who gets really bothered by that, but those developers must be insane to pull something like that. Way to hurt your loyal fans for commercial gain Bioware!

Banned

The whole "The created will always rebel against the creator" paradox didn't really make much sense.

The only situation in which that really applies is with the Quarians and Geth, and even then that wasn't a huge major plot point. Since ME2, Geth have become secondary. It would make more sense if they explained where the Reapers came from...or even where humans came from.

The whole "Shepard was indoctrinated" theory makes sense, but it's mostly wishful thinking on the part of gamers. I think DLC will be released with a "real ending" sometime down the line. I saw something mentioned about there being unused dialogue from Joker talking about Shepard shooting Harbinger.

LJJ I agree with a lot of what you said but Mass Effect 3 is by far the best game in the series all around to me. Bioware finally mastered the balance of action and RPG. Story has some incredibly touching and epic moments that first two games didn't have and the action/combat is BY FAR the best in part 3.

Take away the disappointing ending and it's quite possibly a top 3 game of all time and none of these rants like yours happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    LJJ I agree with a lot of what you said but Mass Effect 3 is by far the best game in the series all around to me. Bioware finally mastered the balance of action and RPG. Story has some incredibly touching and epic moments that first two games didn't have and the action/combat is BY FAR the best in part 3.

Take away the disappointing ending and it's quite possibly a top 3 game of all time and none of these rants like yours happen.
    The action is the best of all the games, but I don't think the writing is. The overarching story is still weaker than ME1, and the dialogues and characters are not as strong as in ME2.

Just for example:

[COLOR="White"]Cerberus. In ME1&2 I got the impression that they were just a really well funded vigilante type group. A significant power, but still within the limits of a human rebellious troupe. For a huge organisation like the Alliance they seemed like more an annoyance than an equal opponent.

In ME3 they are suddenly basically at war with everybody. How does a fringe human group pose even a minor threat to major civilizations with large armed forces like the Alliance, the Turians, the Asari, the Salarians or the Krogan? Let alone all at the same time? Let alone kicking their asses. That's weak, inconsiderate writing to me. It seems to me like they had to add some enemy variety to ME3 and went overboard with it.[/COLOR]

That's just one example, but I was just generally unimpressed by the writing in ME3.

Also, the way they incorporate the choices you made in the previous games just doesn't amount to much. I understand it's the only think they could have done, otherwise the stories would have branched too far making it practically impossible to create a coherent sequel. But it ends up feeling a bit hollow.

This all sounds very sour, but I do think it's a fantastic game. It just doesn't really go above and beyond, which is what I was hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    The action is the best of all the games, but I don't think the writing is. The overarching story is still weaker than ME1, and the dialogues and characters are not as strong as in ME2.

Just for example:

[COLOR="White"]Cerberus. In ME1&2 I got the impression that they were just a really well funded vigilante type group. A significant power, but still within the limits of a human rebellious troupe. For a huge organisation like the Alliance they seemed like more an annoyance than an equal opponent.

In ME3 they are suddenly basically at war with everybody. How does a fringe human group pose even a minor threat to major civilizations with large armed forces like the Alliance, the Turians, the Asari, the Salarians or the Krogan? Let alone all at the same time? Let alone kicking their asses. That's weak, inconsiderate writing to me. It seems to me like they had to add some enemy variety to ME3 and went overboard with it.[/COLOR]

That's just one example, but I was just generally unimpressed by the writing in ME3.

Also, the way they incorporate the choices you made in the previous games just doesn't amount to much. I understand it's the only think they could have done, otherwise the stories would have branched too far making it practically impossible to create a coherent sequel. But it ends up feeling a bit hollow.

This all sounds very sour, but I do think it's a fantastic game. It just doesn't really go above and beyond, which is what I was hoping for.
    I think in an epic trilogy the writing for first game/story/movie will always be the best/deepest. Because it's the set up and it's a new story. I think what makes Mass Effect 3 the best for me story wise... was the incredible character story arcs. Seeing Miranda become a truly good human being. Seeing Mordin's conscience turn him. Seeing Thane's struggle to be a father etc.

I think it's actually quite deep. The final talks I had with crew members in part 3 almost made me cry. Neither of the first two games really touched me in the way that Mass Effect 3 did with the characters. When you go with Garrus to the top of the citadel... that for example was special and not seen in first two games.

I agree in the end your small choices didn't matter.... but that's on par with us as real life people saying... "well we all die anyways eventually so what's the point?". Same concept. The journey of Mass Effect was incredible and well worth it, despite the unsatisfactory ending.