Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Made that high school varsity squad JaskoX1's Avatar

Default Re: How to get open in 5 on 5?

Quote Originally Posted by C_lake2802
    ^^Good stuff. Rip Hamilton, Reggie miller even Allen Iverson were all good players who move well without the ball.

The one good thing about moving without the ball is you can advanced through all levels of basketball if you move without the ball and can shoot. You may never be a superstar.... but you can be decent at every level.
    Me personally, I can never shoot like that running off a screen. All my shots are in the paint, constantly cutting the lanes. Always try to be a pain to guard, stuck a nerve. But yes; I hate when teammates just hang around the three line or on the low block.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by JaskoX1
    Me personally, I can never shoot like that running off a screen. All my shots are in the paint, constantly cutting the lanes. Always try to be a pain to guard, stuck a nerve. But yes; I hate when teammates just hang around the three line or on the low block.

me too i do not like guys who cannot move w/out the ball because it make it harder to play ball well for me. a guy who cannot create his shot with quick dribble moves. my strength is like a rip and reggie miller who can move w/out the ball.

i do not like guys who they think they can take over. i salute them if they really can but if not im having facepalm inside.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    just watch a Reggie Miller game.... and just focus on how he works without the ball offensively, his bag of tricks were ridicilous...
    This. Reggie was a genius.

Also Ray Allen is unbelievable.

I really need to start doing this during pick up games.

NBA Superstar

I think moving and cutting in pickup ball can sometimes be psychological and pattern-induced.

On the psychological front, I often have to tell myself I'm not tired. Then I have to tell myself my defender is tired (or at least more tired than me). I also think how much he's probably going to hate guarding me if I move all about. These may not all be certain truths, but they're enough to get me going.

Another trick to get myself going off the ball is to get on my toes. Before plays initiate, I may do some hops or stutter steps (subtly, not giant obtrusive leaps). I want to feel hyper-active before a play begins because I know if I'm just standing up straight and waiting for initiation, my cuts will be less frequent and slower.

Finally, by pattern-induced I mean, if I stand around on offense during a few trips down the floor, it tends to breed more standing around in the future, from myself and from my teammates. Meanwhile, if I'm always moving, it tends to be contagious. Then I also become in better shape, which will allow me to move even more. It's a win-win.

People have gone over the important aspects of getting open: settings screens, deeking, cutting, being quick and decisive, etc.

Here's another facet to your game you can add: posting up.

In the rare occasion I'm not the primary ballhandler, I post up. There's just so much you can do from the high post. You have vision, it's easy to find cutters, you can easily dribble out so it's safe.

Even if you have no ability to back down your opponent, try it. You can do give-and-gos, get a screen, face-up and take your man off the dribble, etc.

You don't need strength to win in the post. Speed can always win.

Just be quick and don't turn into a black hole (Kendrick Perkins) and if you don't find anything pass out and set some screens.

CUT CUT CUT CUT CUT x 100