Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Default 3-Point Bank Shots

Have you ever met or seen anybody who attempted 3's with the intent of putting it in off the glass? For me it seems the only spot on the arc where it would be reasonable to attempt this is both wing spots because the angle is suitable although not nearly as effective as it's midrange counterpart.

Default Re: 3-Point Bank Shots

Everytime I bank in a three...I meant it.

banks are open, baby!

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
    Everytime I bank in a three...I meant it.

banks are open, baby!
    Ha, so true. My first high school bucket was a banked triple from the top of the key. I was so jacked up on adrenaline, the game was going so fast, I just let that thing loose.

To be real though, I don't think I've ever known someone who was actively attempting to bank three pointers in a serious game.

pippen actually used to do it back in the day from the wings. other than that, i dont think it is something that anyone consciously tries to do

Learning to shoot layups Partizan's Avatar

There was Dejan Bodiroga in Europe who used to always aim for 3pt bank shots, he wasn't a good 3pt shooter ( not elite) so he learned to shot it that way. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Partizan
    There was Dejan Bodiroga in Europe who used to always aim for 3pt bank shots, he wasn't a good 3pt shooter ( not elite) so he learned to shot it that way. :)
    Interesting, any good highlight tapes/mixes of him?

Learning to shoot layups Partizan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
    Interesting, any good highlight tapes/mixes of him?
    I feel stupid, because in all of his mixes on the net, there aren't many three point shots, and those that are there are hitting the bottom of the net
    But, still his 3pt bank shots from behind the top of the key, are part of my childhood, I remember trying to replicate that everyday on the court.

Anyway, if you are interested here is a nice highlights mix of him:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_WD2zwrpqE

And couple of nice moves againts Carmelo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQEzmPKdqt4

He is probably the best player ever not to play in the NBA. Mad handles, great court vision, post moves, nicknamed white Magic (he was 6ft 9in pass first pg it was bound to happen )

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I honestly did it all the time playing pick up as an adult.

Playing PG I got most of my looks from the top of the key, and I had really deep range, but I never liked the corners. I did it from the wings all the time though. I don't know why, but I was really good at it. Moreso from the right side. I was able to shoot it while moving more. Off the dribble. Or even fading or drifting a bit, because I could put more arm toss into it. Also, I could only do it on a real square backboard. The spot I'd have to hit was too close to being off the board on a traditional half moon board.

Scal
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

I played against this team in my rec league a few months back - it was the first time this team had played in our division, so they were a new prospect for us - and they had a guy who hit 2 or 3 banked triples.

As when playing any team you haven't played before, you have to figure out who the shooters are and, who likes to drive, etc. After this guy banked the first, you'd think it was a fluke, after the second I think we started to pay a bit more a attention, and I'm pretty sure he made another after that.

They ended up beating us on the buzzer too, but everytime since we've run over them because we have effectively scouted them after that first game - they hit a lot of shots from outside in that first game, haven't shot anywhere near as well since. Not saying it was entirely our D, but it makes a huge difference when jump shooting teams are on.

Quote Originally Posted by Partizan

And couple of nice moves againts Carmelo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQEzmPKdqt4
    Goddamnnn so smooth I can see the magic comparision too

Most frustrating shot to have someone make against you

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
    this.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller

That's actually part of the reason I started shooting it.

There's nothing better than a guy talking shit after that first one. Usually complaining that I didn't call it. His buddies griping about how ugly it is from the sideline. Then hitting a second. And a third. And coming close enough on a fourth that the cackling doesn't stop, but it gets far more rediculous sounding.

I've never tried to bank a 3 pointer in. I do have a midrange shot from the baseline that's pretty deep and I use the backboard every time ala Timmy D.

Not airballing my layups anymore

I laughed hard when I saw this topic come up. I do this ALL THE TIME lol.

It's one of my signature shots. Yes, it's from the wing only of course. I'm left handed so I do it from the left wing but I make them from the right too but it is more awkward of course since I'm banking it from the right side.

Just like another poster said, guys will always think "lucky" and a fluke when they don't know me and I make it but then they realize it's skill after a while.

I have video footage of me working on them too. Let me find it