Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

I'm a few hours in, highly recommend. It's linear but not like Uncharted 3 was (where it felt like you were being pulled), it's more natural. Game is VERY serious though, if you want a shooter and to blow things away without thought this isn't the game for you.

Very good so far.

I ****ing love this game. That's all I'm gonna say for now.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Picked mine up on way home from work. Played for about 3-4 hours straight very deliberately.

Soundtrack is awesome. Story is spectacular. A better set up and pacing than a lot of movies. Voice acting is spot on. The sets are spectacular. Certainly more flexibility within the encounters than was available in Uncharted, but still very linear. The addition of the crafting, and ability to upgrade is a very nice addition. Graphically this company is in a league of it's own. It's got a genuine sense of tension, and some genuine scare moments already. This has a better understanding of the horror genre than most films.

I've found more ammo than I was led to believe that I would. To the point where I'm shooting things just for the sake of picking up more ammo. Same goes for health to an extent. The NPC AI is a little wonky. You're being demanded to sneak so slowly, yet your partners are running wildly in front of bad guys unnoticed. It's better than having them simply be a huge pain in the ass and triggering things, but it takes a few minutes to not jump out and become accostomed to it, and it does remove you a bit from the tension. And I'm so far, while obviously not fully adjusted, a little down on the controls. They're certainly good, but not the incredible fluid motion of Uncharted. Although in their defense, Uncharted and Assassin's Creed are the two most natuarally controllable games ever made IMO. In order to maintain the sense of trapped dread, I suppose they had to make it somewhat harder for Joel to manuever, so that they can build these mazey sort of level designs that aren't so escapable.

Overall, I look forward to getting home from work tommorrow and continueing.

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

Yeah so I'm about 4 hours in as well. Game is basically flawless. Voice acting, the characters so far, and just the smoothness of the game are blowing me away. I can't get enough shivs though, and it's mad annoying when dealing with clickers. I also feel like Joel is such a complicated character and hopefully we get into a little more backstory. What I've learned so far though is that melee weapons are a necessity and is what I need most. This will probably go down as one of my favorite games ever along with Arkham City, Uncharted series and Bioshock.

Have not got it yet but played at E3! Excited to get it soon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crisoner
    Have not got it yet but played at E3! Excited to get it soon!!!
    How did you get a pass to E3?

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    How did you get a pass to E3?
    Work!

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    Picked mine up on way home from work. Played for about 3-4 hours straight very deliberately.

Soundtrack is awesome. Story is spectacular. A better set up and pacing than a lot of movies. Voice acting is spot on. The sets are spectacular. Certainly more flexibility within the encounters than was available in Uncharted, but still very linear. The addition of the crafting, and ability to upgrade is a very nice addition. Graphically this company is in a league of it's own. It's got a genuine sense of tension, and some genuine scare moments already. This has a better understanding of the horror genre than most films.

I've found more ammo than I was led to believe that I would. To the point where I'm shooting things just for the sake of picking up more ammo. Same goes for health to an extent. The NPC AI is a little wonky. You're being demanded to sneak so slowly, yet your partners are running wildly in front of bad guys unnoticed. It's better than having them simply be a huge pain in the ass and triggering things, but it takes a few minutes to not jump out and become accostomed to it, and it does remove you a bit from the tension. And I'm so far, while obviously not fully adjusted, a little down on the controls. They're certainly good, but not the incredible fluid motion of Uncharted. Although in their defense, Uncharted and Assassin's Creed are the two most natuarally controllable games ever made IMO. In order to maintain the sense of trapped dread, I suppose they had to make it somewhat harder for Joel to manuever, so that they can build these mazey sort of level designs that aren't so escapable.

Overall, I look forward to getting home from work tommorrow and continueing.
    I noticed about the controls, but what I figured,
    Drake has been jumping around like crazy and being in fights and stuff his whole life, while enzio/whoever is a trained assasin of the highest quality, so you expect them to move/react quicker and more fluid,
    While our good friend Joel is a mid 40-50 year old who probably worked a 9-5 middle wage job. His not trained, his just a survivor, a regular joe. His bound to be slower and less agile.
    It all makes sense when you look at it like that. His been thrust in to the situation.

Man this game is freaking unbelievable. I'm almost halfway through, and there have been several moments I can already count among the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had. Apart from what everyone's mentioned, I gotta say the IA is pretty remarkable. There have been some instances in which I have blown my cover and been dragged into a gunfight, just to find myself surrounded by enemies who snuck up on me by taking an alternative route. Another instance is dealing with 2 or 3 enemies at a time, like say I was in a corridor covering behind a crate and shooting at enemies at the other end of the corridor. One time 2 of those guys opened covering fire while the other guy made a run directly at me with a melee weapon. I took the running guy down just before he got to my position, and the other 2 guys split up in different directions instead of just standing there.

Banned

starting the game now.... i selected hard difficulty

HERE I GO!!!!!!!

Very few games have wanted me to switch from 360 to PS3, but after watching a few walkthrough vids on YouTube, it sucks I won't get to play this game myself.

Would definitely have picked it up if PS3 games were playable on the PS4. Hopefully it'll be a downloadable option on Playstation Plus in the future.

So I played the hell out of this all weekend. Keep in mind I have the torn achilles and my options are limited. So playing this some Friday was one thing, but getting in a couple 8-12 hour sessions Saturday and Sunday was not an issue at all.

The controlls have grown on me. I still wish you had access to more areas. I don't think it's as much a function of the character, but rather a function of creating the tone the story requires. In a horror setting like this, that sense of being trapped, pinned down, of an impending conflict, is a lot different than the exploration feeling you want in an adventure movie like Uncharted is portraying.

Naughty Dog really is coming as close to making playable film as anyone ever has. It has a few drawbacks. You can lose access to an area unwantingly because the pace of the story dictates you move on, but no one is telling better stories. This narrative, along with the acting, soundtrack, and visual moments, are as good as anything put on film. Their dynamic camera gives you a cinematic feel that is unrivaled in gaming, although I find it encouraging other people are trying (The Tomb Raider reboot did it to great effect).

As for gameplay. As I said, I still wish there was a little more freedom of exploration, although to be fair as the game moves along, the sets become increasingly maze-like, and we do get multiple directions to go, and choices for approach. The hide/lure/stealth/shoot combat is pretty unique. The addition of the stealth kill mechanic allowed for a much different pacing and a limitation of what's available shooting wise that makes things more tense. And the crafting, increasing of skills, and upgrading of equipment, make for a nice addition to the Uncharted mechanic (there are a ton of similarities gameplay wise between this and Tomb Raider, which I totally suggest people check out).

My lone gripe is still that the NPC AI for Ellie, Tess, Bill, and whoever, all has them running around and popping out in front of characters a lot. It's nice that if I'm hiding, then they can't be seen, but it was a little distracting until I got used to the fact that their behavior wouldn't impact my gameplay approach. It's a small gripe, but it's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    My lone gripe is still that the NPC AI for Ellie, Tess, Bill, and whoever, all has them running around and popping out in front of characters a lot. It's nice that if I'm hiding, then they can't be seen, but it was a little distracting until I got used to the fact that their behavior wouldn't impact my gameplay approach. It's a small gripe, but it's still there.
    I haven't played the game yet, but I think this was a regular flaw with Uncharted 2 as well.

So, I have some impressions after 6 hours of play

Pros:

- Setting and atmosphere is awesome. Some areas are too dark for my taste but the game really captures the post-apocalyptic setting

- Character interaction and development. This is top notch. I love the random conversations between the characters when just exploring. Especially when discussing the notes they find. You really get a feel for their personalities. <3 Ellie

- Exploration. The game gives a really good sense of exploration even though it's not open world. I don't like that you can't backtrack areas though (It sucks when you reach a checkpoint after a frantic fight even though you haven't scouted all the loot)

- No ridiculous amount of enemies in an area. The enemies are pretty tough and you have to use stealth a lot but it just feels more reasonable than the swarms in Uncharted. I feel Uncharted 4 needs to move closer to TLoU in that regard. Joel's kills also don't feel so out of place unlike Drake's (Why is a treasure hunter such a finely tuned killing machine?)

- The music is excellent. I wish we heard more of it though. Too many areas with silence but I guess we need to hear the clickers!

Cons:

- Uninfected enemy AI (to this point at least). The soldiers I've encountered so far do not react to the sound of me choking out their partner right behind them. WTF? How are the clickers and runners so much more aware of their surroundings? Note: I'm playing on normal

- Scarcity of items in some early parts. I know there is always a way to clear the enemies but the game has enough tension as is. This is RE1 levels of bullshit going on here lol. I'd have preferred to not have freaking melee weapons break also

This is shaping up to be one of the best games I've ever played. I think it deserves a PS4 port just so no one misses out.

Quote Originally Posted by konex
    So, I have some impressions after 6 hours of play

Pros:

- Setting and atmosphere is awesome. Some areas are too dark for my taste but the game really captures the post-apocalyptic setting

- Character interaction and development. This is top notch. I love the random conversations between the characters when just exploring. Especially when discussing the notes they find. You really get a feel for their personalities. <3 Ellie

- Exploration. The game gives a really good sense of exploration even though it's not open world. I don't like that you can't backtrack areas though (It sucks when you reach a checkpoint after a frantic fight even though you haven't scouted all the loot)

- No ridiculous amount of enemies in an area. The enemies are pretty tough and you have to use stealth a lot but it just feels more reasonable than the swarms in Uncharted. I feel Uncharted 4 needs to move closer to TLoU in that regard. Joel's kills also don't feel so out of place unlike Drake's (Why is a treasure hunter such a finely tuned killing machine?)

- The music is excellent. I wish we heard more of it though. Too many areas with silence but I guess we need to hear the clickers!

Cons:

- Uninfected enemy AI (to this point at least). The soldiers I've encountered so far do not react to the sound of me choking out their partner right behind them. WTF? How are the clickers and runners so much more aware of their surroundings? Note: I'm playing on normal

- Scarcity of items in some early parts. I know there is always a way to clear the enemies but the game has enough tension as is. This is RE1 levels of bullshit going on here lol. I'd have preferred to not have freaking melee weapons break also

This is shaping up to be one of the best games I've ever played. I think it deserves a PS4 port just so no one misses out.

I agree with all of this pretty much note for note. I love the change's from night to day, and the weather. It's very much stagnate, in that you can spend 12 hours playing one area and it's gonna be raining the whole time, but that's what sets like this do. And it looks great. I agree it's a little dark in spots, but it gives cause to use the flashlight. They've done some incredible stuff with the lighting in this game. Each Uncharted they always said they wanted to do one element to the nuts. The first was water. The second was fire. The third was sand. In this it seems like they went after lighting. The reflections you catch in windows is crazy.

I also <3 Ellie.

I have the same opinion on exploration as you. That 15 hour play time only holds if you're not digging through the perimeter of every set like I am looking for every scrap of goods. And I've also been burned running into a cut scene when I thought I was just looking around.

And you're right about the music. This is the best game soundtrack since Red Dead. It sets the tone perfectly. Sure it gives you a bit of a heads up about upcoming combat, but that's fine by me. If a musical cue causes me to crouch, then it's definitely doing it's job and then some.

I also had some gripes about the reaction of enemies. The choking out thing being soundless is weird. But so is it that I can't take a hard step but Ellie or whoever can run straight out in front of of them and still go stomping into hiding. But I'd rather have that than have the NPC AI blow my cover, or otherwise affect my gameplay. I suppose that was their simple solution. Once I got used to it, it's been fine.

As for scarcity of supplies, I sort of enjoy it. I'm also playing on Normal, and I'm further along than you, but I've always been a supply horder in games, so it hasn't been that bad for me. Only in one early sequence was I upset I didn't have more gear to use, and really had to skulk my way through and get away.

How is everyone handling upgrades? I'm nearing the end of the game I'm guessing, probably about 80% done. And I'm not near upgrading everything, and I've been pretty thourough in my cleaning out of areas. I've only been able to find the combo to one safe thus far though.
    Anyway, what choices are you guys making? I went health on Joel himself, and I'm working on the shiv. I've picked at the other stuff. I'm a ways in on the hearing, but I've all but skipped the crafting and healing speed upgrades.

On the other hand, the weapon upgrading I've been all over the place with. A little here and a little there. I started with both holsters at a steep 75 bits of tool, but they've been really valuable in switching weapons. Then I upgraded both pistols all the way. Since then I'm choosy, focusing on the shotgun, but the tool skill level closes you out pretty quick, so I wind up spending tool bits on other guns just to use them up because the benches are usually pretty spread out. In retrospect I sorta wished I'd saved my tool money to focus more on the weapons I really use, rather than doing the random rifle or bow upgrade at 15-25 bucks. That money would've added up by now and I coulda done bigger upgrades to the weapons I use more.

Either way I will be going through it a second time and maxing everything out anyway.