Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Re: has there ever been a great combination of amazing shooter and dunker than durant?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Yup. And by no means is that a suggestion that Vince Carter as a player equals Durant. It's just VC had some 40% three point shooting years (and is a 37% career three point shooter), had a deadly mid-range game and put together the best dunking career of any NBA player in the history of the game, so I don't think it's crazy to bring him to mind in this case.
    Exactly

National High School Star therammingman's Avatar

Default Re: has there ever been a greater combination of amazing shooter and dunker than durant?

Dan Majerle - i didn't see enough of his prime.
    Eddie Jones - great dunker but not as feared a shooter
    Allan Houston - not as great a dunker
    Robert Horry - perhaps some validity here although he was more feared late in games and only 3s, not midrange, etc.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Default Re: has there ever been a great combination of amazing shooter and dunker than durant?

Young Ray Allen is probably the closest in terms of efficiency. He could dunk, shoot from anywhere on the floor, and the closest to Durant at the FT lines.

You have others like MJ when he was good with the 3pt shot and Kobe.

T-Mac and Vince Carter are the lesser tier IMO, because of their FTs shooting are not up to par.

And then LeBron this year, but his FTs percentage are even worse.

But none of them are better than Durant. Durant has the best shooting stroke on the 3pt line, anywhere on the floor and FTs.

Default Re: has there ever been a greater combination of amazing shooter and dunker than durant?

Bucks and Sonics Ray Allen dunked on T-Mac

College star

Default Re: has there ever been a great combination of amazing shooter and dunker than durant?

Quote Originally Posted by Noob Saibot
    in before someone says Kobe.
    Kobe is not a great shooter and not a great dunker.
    Not in his prime, not right now, not ever.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigVeto
    he was a great dunker in his prime

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by therammingman
    he was a great dunker in his prime
    above average not great

Quote Originally Posted by BrickingStar
    above average not great
    he wasn't VC but he was great

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    Young Ray Allen is probably the closest in terms of efficiency. He could dunk, shoot from anywhere on the floor, and the closest to Durant at the FT lines.

You have others like MJ when he was good with the 3pt shot and Kobe.

T-Mac and Vince Carter are the lesser tier IMO, because of their FTs shooting are not up to par.

And then LeBron this year, but his FTs percentage are even worse.

But none of them are better than Durant. Durant has the best shooting stroke on the 3pt line, anywhere on the floor and FTs.
    I suppose it'd depend upon whether we're just talking about players who were amazing shooters could dunk at all (thus more or less eliminating J.J. Redick, aside from his one Duke jam) or whether we're talking about players who were both amazing shooters and amazing dunkers, thus creating an amazing combination. I came into this thread thinking it was the latter.

As such, I feel a guy like Vince Carter would still be top-of-the-tier valid because, say he's just not quite as good a free throw shooter as Durant, I believe he'd more than make up for that discrepancy with his #1 all-time dunking ability, hence creating a mix of a very, very good shooter and absolutely legendary dunker.

It'd kind of break down like this for me, if we wanted to overly simplify things:

Dan Majerle: Great Shooter/Poor Dunker (I know he was Thunder Dan but if we're real, he's not an all-time dunker). As such, he's got the shooting accounted for, but not so much the dunking.

Kevin Durant: Great Shooter/Pretty darn good dunker. This is a great mix.

Vince Carter: Great Shooter but not quite as good as Durant/Best Dunker of all-time. Still comes out to a great mix.

If I wanted to put it succinctly, I think the gap between Durant's dunking ability and Carter's is wider than Durant's shooting ability and Carter's.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 01-17-2013 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigVeto

Quote Originally Posted by Magic bird
    Bucks and Sonics Ray Allen dunked on T-Mac
    i don't think allen was as deadly a shooter back then

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Dale Ellis.

Lol at the haters
    Of course Kobe
    Anyone denying it is in denial lol

John Starks
    JR Smith
    Baron Davis

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I suppose it'd depend upon whether we're just talking about players who were amazing shooters could dunk at all (thus more or less eliminating J.J. Redick, aside from his one Duke jam) or whether we're talking about players who were both amazing shooters and amazing dunkers, thus creating an amazing combination. I came into this thread thinking it was the latter.

As such, I feel a guy like Vince Carter would still be top-of-the-tier valid because, say he's just not quite as good a free throw shooter as Durant, I believe he'd more than make up for that discrepancy with his #1 all-time dunking ability, hence creating a mix of a very, very good shooter and absolutely legendary dunker.
    I guess it depends on what you mean on shooting really.

Just from the 3pt line? Then Vince Carter would have it in the bag imo. But in overall all around shooting display? IMO, I think Ray Allen is the closest to it or young Kobe or MJ. While he was not the dunker that Carter was, Ray Allen was still a good dunker when he was younger in his Buck days. I guess it depends on how much you value shooting because you can say VC dunks was more spectacular and his shooting was enough to pass it by as you said.