Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default How to dress for my interview next week...

What do you guys think? It's for a head hunting agency and I want to dress to impress but I don't want to overdo it. The position I am applying for doesn't seem to warrant looking like a CEO. It would look too fake. Last time, I went to for an interview at these places, the interviewer said I can dress more casual when I start work for a particular company.

I'm thinking the usual slacks, button ups, shoes and tie but no jacket. Also, I don't feel a suit is appropriate. I don't have any business suits, they are fashion suits that use nice fabric compared to a sales or accountant's suit.

It's for an office type job, think of a legal firm/accounting firm.

Help me out here.....or I can go with the Cliff Paul look?

P.S. The Rolex and the Louis Vuitton stuff is staying home. Going to bust out my Cambridge/Mead college portfolio.
    Last edited by 9erempiree; 10-20-2013 at 07:04 AM.

Default Re: How to dress for my interview next week...

A Kobe shirt.

Not too casual but not too professional?

Smart trousers, button down shirt and either some proper shoes or boat shoes. I wouldn't wear Vans/Converse or that type of thing. You could probably wear a tie too but don't wear a jacket, sweater or waistcoat. You could probably wear a jacket without a tie but don't wear both if its more casual.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    A Kobe shirt.
    Interesting. I have a month to find work again and Kobe is making a comeback.

I may wear a Kobe shirt inside for luck.

Thanks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KobesFinger
    Not too casual but not too professional?

Smart trousers, button down shirt and either some proper shoes or boat shoes. I wouldn't wear Vans/Converse or that type of thing. You could probably wear a tie too but don't wear a jacket, sweater or waistcoat. You could probably wear a jacket without a tie but don't wear both if its more casual.
    First and foremost, the bolded part, I know not to wear those shoes. This isn't my first interview.

It's just that my dress clothes are on the fancy side and last time the same recruiter said I didn't need to be that professional. I agreed too.

This time around I want to be more casual since this isn't an executive position.

How about mixing and matching like the outfits on this page. It feels too casual to me. Don't want to look like a nerd and don't want to look like I'm applying for some clothing store. I think it's on the trendy side but I shop here sometimes.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...#department=75

EDIT: Thanks
    Last edited by 9erempiree; 10-20-2013 at 08:16 AM.

There is no situation where it's ever proper to wear a tie without wearing a jacket. If you want to go a bit more casual, wear the jacket or a sports coat without a tie, not the other way around.

Also lol at this cat who doesn't even own a suit but acts like he owns "Rolex stuff". Weak trolling effort there.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    First and foremost, the bolded part, I know not to wear those shoes. This isn't my first interview.

It's just that my dress clothes are on the fancy side and last time the same recruiter said I didn't need to be that professional. I agreed too.

This time around I want to be more casual since this isn't an executive position.

How about mixing and matching like the outfits on this page. It feels too casual to me. Don't want to look like a nerd and don't want to look like I'm applying for some clothing store. I think it's on the trendy side but I shop here sometimes.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...#department=75

EDIT: Thanks
    Depends on your budget and style. http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=763621022 these look both stylish and appropriate.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=558206002 this shirt is pretty nice, I don't know what colours you wear though or your build etc. The shoes in that site are all too posh for an interview IMO

Just be yourself

Unless someone tells you specifically not to wear a basic suit and tie you can get by with it, it's respectful. The only people who ever come interview in an office setting without it are people who are lower level. Don't pigeonhole yourself as lower level.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

wear a suit.

DO NOT wear a suit like a 20 year old kid wears a suit, e.g. black on black, red on black, etc. save that sh*t for the homecoming dance.

wear a nice normal suit with a normal colored shirt. No ridiculous jewelry, no fedoras.

Dark Grey or Dark Blue suit. Lite colored shirt. Dark Tie without much of a pattern. Matching shoes. Watch if you need some sort of jewelry. That's it. It's not hard.

Like your idol dude:

Just wear a shirt an tie. How f*cking hard is that?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    There is no situation where it's ever proper to wear a tie without wearing a jacket. If you want to go a bit more casual, wear the jacket or a sports coat without a tie, not the other way around.

Also lol at this cat who doesn't even own a suit but acts like he owns "Rolex stuff". Weak trolling effort there.
    I have suits fool. Where in my post did you think I didn't own one? That's the problem here, I don't want to wear my suits because last time I did, the interviewer said not to wear it to the company that I was hired at.

Yes, I do own Rolex's. 2 Rolex and 1 Omega Seamster. Down to one Rolex now because I sold one of them to wipe out my credit card balance.

I can take pictures if you want? The Rollies in a safe deposit box but I have the SMP. It's a vintage 1984 Rolex GMT so I don't wear it much.

Do it. Take one picture of the "Rolex stuff, the Louis Vuitton stuff" and "the CEO suit".