Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Default Re: ESPN removes ***** in the armor headline, apologizes.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    Part of me thinks that headline is ****ing hilarious. I mean come on, how can you not laugh if you have a sense of humor?

On the other hand, I think it's ****ing ignorant and it really pisses me off how ESPN isn't getting more shit for that. Had that said "LeBron gets whipped" you know for damn certain every black man in America would be on that shit. Double standards are stupid.
    Maybe because of the history of the word maybe? I always get a kick out of how people get stuck on stupid when it's not their race that's being made fun of, yet pitch a b!tch when the slurs and stereotypes start coming their way.

Banned

They should have said kink in the armor. I'm surprised they use the another term.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaeh
    Maybe because of the history of the word maybe? I always get a kick out of how people get stuck on stupid when it's not their race that's being made fun of, yet pitch a b!tch when the slurs and stereotypes start coming their way.
    As a white person there is nothing that could be said to me about being white that could possibly offend me. Anyone who got legitimately upset about that headline is probably taking things too seriously and is no fun whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Killbot
    They should have said kink in the armor. I'm surprised they use the another term.
    But "kink" isn't the correct term in the context of the phrase. That wouldn't have made sense. It simply should not have been said at all, which is why it was removed so quickly.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by derb2k2
    it wasn't humor. I guess it's a testament to our friendship. I've known these people for more than a decade. Like I said, we don't do this outside our circle. Cmon fellas, I'm not a racist and am not some little kid trying to hide some insecure feelings. jeez some people just take life too serious.
    derb,

read my post again.

I commented on your "i'm not racist....I date so and so" comment..THAT is such bullshit that it's funny... and you know it. Going out with...or having friends of another group/race/ethnicity doesn't preclude you(or anybody) from being racist. and saying so is such a joke.

====================

didn't comment on the first part because I'm certain there are close friends who feel comfortable speaking to each other in certain ways..probably younger guys though.

You get older and out into the world, think that will change.

at any rate....be easy...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by adri41
    But "kink" isn't the correct term in the context of the phrase. That wouldn't have made sense. It simply should not have been said at all, which is why it was removed so quickly.
    I'm no English genius, but when applying to this definition:
    a flaw or imperfection likely to hinder the successful operation of something,
    it makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    As a white person there is nothing that could be said to me about being white that could possibly offend me. Anyone who got legitimately upset about that headline is probably taking things too seriously and is no fun whatsoever.

Move to a country where you are a minority group and I'd bet money that you wouldn't feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Leon Smith
    They've used that headline before yep.

http://www.faniq.com/blog/ESPN-*****...ine-Blog-11274
    oh wow they have used it before.

Hence, why you wouldn't find the Headline racist. If you're a white American who has never had to deal with racism, being in the majority, of course you would not be offended.

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS

====================

didn't comment on the first part because I'm certain there are close friends who feel comfortable speaking to each other in certain ways..probably younger guys though.

You get older and out into the world, think that will change.

at any rate....be easy...
    And the excuse of "being young" still doesn't make it right. I've had white friends off and on (depending on neighborhood) since grade K, and never thought about calling them slurs "just for fun". His friends all have first names. Why not just use them instead?

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    Are you kidding me? How can ESPN be that stupid.

I don't even wanna know what would've happened had that been a racial slur directed at an African American.
    I heard they used a Nyjer Please , when some college kid named Nyjer hit a buzzer beater or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaeh
    And the excuse of "being young" still doesn't make it right. I've had white friends off and on (depending on neighborhood) since grade K, and never thought about calling them slurs "just for fun". His friends all have first names. Why not just use them instead?

Neither you or I can tell him or the people he hangs with what they should be saying to one another...or what should be acceptable.

If he's friends with a guy who allows him to use ethnic slurs towards him, more of a reflection of how that person was raised than anything...OR being young and living in an insular and sheltered world.

Person goes out into the world, leaves that cocoon...experiences life outside of that circle...certain that most of their views will change.

===============================
    glance through some of the posts on ish.... some VERY young guys here .......

you don't know who raised these young guys and what they know or don't know....

Life teaches what the family didn't.
    Last edited by get these NETS; 02-18-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Banned

LOL, just the worst phrase you can use to write about an Asian player.

some of you gotta take it easy. It's not like I call my friends the slurs all the time. But we do it without hesitation because it's between us. I can understand how some of you can think that is immature and insensitive, but we are all different people and have our separate tastes and such.

and I'm 28 to be exact. None of this "kid" shit applies to me. I'm an independent adult who knows what he says and does. I happen to have a good sense of humor.