3 Ball like Piatkowski dab0yech0's Avatar

Default How do I make my release quicker? Critique me here

Heres some old footage of me some clips from 2 yrs ago to clips from 6 yrs ago. Wish I had newer footage of how I play now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue0UEpHYDg4

I feel like I don't get my jumper off fast enough, any tips for me to quicken my release?

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: How do I make my release quicker? Critique me here

i actually kind of like your shot. But if u want to get it off quicker it seems like u rest the ball on your shoulder then shoot. Keep the ball in front of you and keep that shooting pocket open in your hands. because it looks like you do every thing in steps instead of one motion

Man you need more elevation on your J. That's my biggest suggestion for your jumper.

You got this weird lean and leg spread. I would try to straighten your shot out a bit. The less you move, the better balance you'll have. The fewer variables in your shooting motion, the more consistent you can be.
    Last edited by Pushxx; 01-17-2012 at 08:47 PM.

3 Ball like Piatkowski dab0yech0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_lake2802
    i actually kind of like your shot. But if u want to get it off quicker it seems like u rest the ball on your shoulder then shoot. Keep the ball in front of you and keep that shooting pocket open in your hands. because it looks like you do every thing in steps instead of one motion
    Crap, you are right. I get told that I don't release it right away n that it looks like I hesitate and take my time, I am really trying to work on doing everything faster all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    Man you need more elevation on your J. That's my biggest suggestion for your jumper.

You got this weird lean and leg spread. I would try to straighten your shot out a bit. The less you move, the better balance you'll have. The fewer variables in your shooting motion, the more consistent you can be.
    I think your right, I just noticed that too. I use a good amount of lower body strength but maybe I need to bend my knees a little more?

Quote Originally Posted by dab0yech0
    I think your right, I just noticed that too. I use a good amount of lower body strength but maybe I need to bend my knees a little more?
    Calf raises all day. Just look at Ray Allen's calves for inspiration. There's a reason why he is still shooting lights out in the NBA at 36 years-old: it's all about that elevation.

Saw a basketball once

Wanna quick release push yourself.
    toss the ball off a wall where you gotta run up tempo to get a jumpstop in for the catch and release all in one motion

i'm starting to think i had a ghetto self-taught system mixed with the random good coaching...

Your shot seems fine, its already quick, elevation's alright and you have a high arc.

your shot is fine, just set your feet earlier. you catch the ball THEN step into your shot. Step into your shot while you catch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7MZWoyrCmo

watch that video if you're unsure what i mean

you need to get higher on the jumpshot to have a quick release. What your doing is your catching the ball, then your taking ur time focusing your shot, then you release it. players like ray allen catch the ball, jump then focus there shot then release.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    your shot is fine, just set your feet earlier. you catch the ball THEN step into your shot. Step into your shot while you catch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7MZWoyrCmo

watch that video if you're unsure what i mean
    Right on. It seemed the biggest thing slowing down your shot was the fact that you caught the ball then went into a slow motion leg-swing-and-step. V2 is on point through and through.

Like V2, I'd recommend prepping for your shot prior to the catch. For me, that means getting my body low and beginning the feet-setting process as early as I comfortably can. I actually think a lower base (bending the knees prior to catching the pass) could actually speed up your gather because your steps would be smaller and less deliberate.

At this point, it seems you're pretty darn upright prior to the catch, at which point you do:

1. A slow and upright step
    2. Bend a little
    3. Pop back up
    4. Shoot

I think being low would streamline things, creating this:

1. Quick Step as you catch
    2. Pop up (because you are already low, thus allowing you to skip the "bend" step)
    3. Shoot

I see some folks mentioning your lack of elevation and if you're looking for the most picture perfect shot of all-time then sure, maybe elevation would be absolutely required. However, I think you'd totally be able to be a very successful shooter with the form you have, just with the pre-process sped up a little. Here's a great example of how the speed of one's shot prep can lead to success, even with a relatively grounded shooter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxc09r04pJI
    Last edited by Rake2204; 03-11-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Disagree on the elevation aspect here, sometimes taking the time to really jump into your shot gets it blocked...

Not everyone is like Tmac in his prime....

Personally, I think you just need to speed up a little bit more at the beginning, as it seems to take an age for you to go from catching the ball to releasing the ball at your highest point...

Take care not to ruin your form....

Over the years, I've discovered that after playing 15 years, my shot has automatically become a lot faster and smoother, compared to even 5 years ago. Just because I've practices shooting for so long...

So just keep on shooting!! And then shoot some more...

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by stevieming
    Disagree on the elevation aspect here, sometimes taking the time to really jump into your shot gets it blocked...

Not everyone is like Tmac in his prime....

Personally, I think you just need to speed up a little bit more at the beginning, as it seems to take an age for you to go from catching the ball to releasing the ball at your highest point...

Take care not to ruin your form....

Over the years, I've discovered that after playing 15 years, my shot has automatically become a lot faster and smoother, compared to even 5 years ago. Just because I've practices shooting for so long...

So just keep on shooting!! And then shoot some more...
    Listen to this guy. Your shot isn't bad, you just need to be more confident in it and all the motions you're going through. Eventually, it will become faster and smoother which will decrease your need to elevate higher. Most of the NBA's best 3 point shooters don't even elevate much on their shot, but they do have quick releases to make up for it.

Local High School Star devin112's Avatar

I've seen of of your vids in the past and you can shoot, probably better then most of those who've critiqued your shot. You're technique is sound, there's nothing wrong with it. It's the way it is because it works. I wouldn't mess with the stroke, but look at ways to get into the shot pocket quicker. Things like work on catch and shoot, practice using picks and quickly squaring up for a catch and shoot, work with teammates make sure then know where u like the passes. I hate being open and getting a shitty pass at my knees or over my head, it wastes time as I have to reset it in the shot pocket and then sometimes the defense has closed out on me.

Basically look to quicken everything else but your technique since it's working for you.

Earned not given

Shot release is quick enough. Form is good. As previously stated, you might want to quicken your gather up and set your feet a bit quicker. You might lose some accuracy at first but once your muscle memory kicks in you'll get used to it.