Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Default Who should be top 10 on updated power rankings?

Name your top 10 on new season power rankings.

Assume that the remaining unsigned free agents won't impact much of anything.

Feel free to explain some or all of your rankings.

BE REALISTIC.
    Last edited by insidehoops; 09-06-2006 at 01:35 PM.

Saw a basketball once Tail Gate's Avatar

1. Miami- They're the Champs
    2. Dallas- Runners Up
    3. Phoenix- Retooled and Amare's back
    4. San Antonio- Nice young new additions
    5. Cleveland- LeBron has improved and the team has too.
    6. LA Lakers- Kobe finally has some help and this team should be a lot better than last year.
    7. Chicago- Should be an entertaining defensive squad
    8. Detroit- You can't write them off.
    9. Houston- Yao, TMac and now Battier. Should be impressive if healthy
    10. LA Clippers- Have basically the same roster, but they're all older.

Football In The Groin funkylikemonkey's Avatar

1. Miami-Default
    2. Dallas-Default
    3. San Antonio-Assuming the tram is healthy, they have a 50% chance of winning it this year.
    4. Phoenix-Could rise of fall on this list depending on Amare.
    5. New Jersey-Could very well be higher or possibly lower, depending on how the bench plays out. Also have a chance to come out of the east *hopes the Shaq curse on the Nets ends*
    6. Detroit-I don't think the lost of Ben Wallace will cripple them as much as everyone says.
    7. Houston-Once again, could really rise on the list, Shane Battier is the perfect role player for Tmac and Yao, actually...not sure why I didn't put them above the Nets or Detroit, probably because I'm a Nets' homer.
    8. Clevland-LeBron can do almost everything, but no one can carry a team alone. We'll see how well the Larry Hughes signing plays out.
    9. Clippers-As Cassell gets older, Livingston presumably gets better.
    10. This spot can be taken by so many teams
    10A. Grizzlies-would have been an easy choice, but with Pau Gasol injured...not sure if they'll make it through the season.
    10B. Kings-The championship window closed a while ago, is the playoff window starting to close?
    10C. Bulls-Just as I thought the departure of Ben Wallace wouldn't kill the Pistons, I don't think it will turn the Bulls into a top 10 team. I could very well be wrong though.
    10D. Nuggets-Kmart, Nene, Camby...who knows how much time these big men will see.

Other outside possibilities, Magic and Lakers.

National High School Star AKADS's Avatar

1 - Phoneix - Add Amare and keep the core for a second year.
    2 - Dallas - I don't like Dallas but they re-tooled and got better.
    3 - Miami - Champs But they aren't a great regular season team
    4 - San Antonio - There trio of players in second to none when it come to winning.
    5 - Cleveland - LeBron. Maybe a healthy season for Hughes and Varejao.
    6 - Clippers - Still lookig for Maggette to be traded but great team Cassel will win he always does.
    7 - Detriot - They aren't the last yrs Pistons but in the East are a 50 win team
    8 - Chicago - Could end up higher but we haven't seen them play together yet.
    9 - Houston - Yao and TMac will win 50 games. Health is always a risk
    10 - New Jersey - Kidd.Carter.Richardson In the East will finish in the top 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Tail Gate
    2. Dallas- Runners Up
    6. LA Lakers- Kobe finally has some help and this team should be a lot better than last year.

So what now, Lakers are gonna land a 5th seed in the West?

Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Tail Gate
    2. Dallas- Runners Up
    that sounds pretty good. maybe switch clev with det

Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by JSub

So what now, Lakers are gonna land a 5th seed in the West?
    yes they will.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

1st-Heat, duh

2nd-Suns, Amare returns, MVP, MIP, they deserve it...

3rd-Mavs, Nice off-season along with a nice playoffs... yeah...

4th-Cavs, LeBron leads team USA to 3rd (only)...

5th-Spurs, Never count them out...

6th-Clips, Nice playoff run locks their 6th spot...

7th-Chicago, Signing Big Ben and they are favourites this season...

8th-Orlando, YES! Orlando, after losing Steve Franchise they almost made Playoffs, plus JJ Reddick, Dwight Howard, Darko...

9th-Hornets, Incredible off-season, made them playoffs contenders again...

10th-Detroit, They did win the most games last season...

Local High School Star

I'm telling you all, put the Kings on your top 10. They're definitely better than a lot of teams i see on your lists up there. Just look at the talent on that team and how they ended the season with Artest. But it's your opinion, so choose w/e you want. Here's how i got it:

1. Miami
    2. Dallas
    3. Phoenix
    4. San Antonio
    5. Chicago
    6. Detroit
    7. Clippers
    8. Sacramento
    9. Cleveland
    10. Houston

Good college starter LakersDynasty's Avatar

1. Dallas
    2. San Antonio
    3. Miami
    4. Phoenix
    5. Detroit
    6. Lakers
    7. Clippers
    8. Cavs
    9. Nets
    10. Bulls

1Miami- obvious

2Dallas- obvious

3San Antonio-obvious, but Duncan and Manu should be better, and with TPs improvements they could be number 1.

4Phx- their window with Nash's breaking down body is coming to a close soon enough, but they'll be good next year. But still all offense. IT DOESN'T WORK. But they've been close 2 years in a row. They'll atleast threaten in the 2nd round

5Detroit- Will be a better offensive team and still a top defensive squad, they just need to stay with Skip, and stop rebelling

6. Houston- if Healthy they are gonna be a force

7. New Jersey- Veteran squad with 3 allstar quality players and good defensively. Just need Kristic to be better. And shooting, and they got House, so.

8. Denver- They need to stay healthy, well atleast relatively. And find more shooting depth, but if JR pans out, which he should. They should be a very well rounded team with 2 good wing players (one a superstar), very good pg, and maybe the best 4/5 situation in the league

9. Chicago- haven't bought into the hype. They dont have a scoring big man. Maybe Tyrus can contribute. They were already a good defensive team, I don't see how getting a better Chandler, but with less offense is going to help.

10. Cleveland- They can move up this list by proving that they can defend all season long

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

I don't see a reason why Chicago is above New Jersey. Hell, I don't even think they're better than Detroit.

1. San Antonio - They can't win 2 in a row, but they're very good at coming back and winning one. Manu and Duncan being healthy will impact the team more then people think.
    2. Miami - Defending champs. Getting older & older though, and faced arguably the weakest of the West's big 3.
    3. Phoenix - WCF two years in a row, injuries both years shut down dreams of rings. Amare coming back is huge. If they stay healthy they are my favorites to win it all.
    4. Dallas - They've made a lot of lateral trades, I think the only reason they got to the Finals last year was because of Phoenix and San Antonio's injury problems. Still pulled off gutty wins against both teams, the Mavs go as far as Dirk will take them.
    5. Detroit - Losing Ben Wallace was big, but Nazr will help and McDyess should get a more prominent role improving the overall offense. I don't think they'll contend with the lost defensive presence, but they are the team I imagine facing Miami in the ECF.
    6. Houston - T-mac & Yao are the best inside-outside combo in the NBA at this point, if healthy. Battier was a good pick-up, Head and Alston shined at times last season, they are still horribly thin up front.
    7. Denver - It's all about health, losing Leonard one year and Nene the next they still were 45+ wins. JR Smith helps their outside shooting woes and Melo has never looked better.
    8. Cleveland - They were one rebound away from the ECF. Larry Hughes's health is a big concern, they were a much better team with him last year. The emergance of Verajo and to a lesser extent Pavlovic gives them added depth.
    9. New Jersey - The trio + Kristic is enough to be a top Eastern team. Marcus Williams is a great pick-up, should give Kidd enough in the tank to go all-out when it matters.
    10. Chicago - They will be the best defensive team in the leauge, but still have no go-to-scorer. Should have trouble winning close games. Could pull some major upset in the slowed-down playoffs though.

God damnit I forgot the Clippers. Put them somewhere in the 7-10 range.

Clippers - Elton Brand easily had his best year, Cassel/Mobley proved great signings, Livingston had his best year, Maggette seemed to accept his new role. I'm not sure if they will get much better, but last year they were good enough to beat Denver and push the Suns to 7, albeit both teams were injured.
    Last edited by Zombles; 09-06-2006 at 02:15 AM.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

1. San Antonio
    2. Dallas
    3. Miami
    4. Phoenix
    5. Detroit
    6. LA Clippers
    7. Cleveland
    8. Denver
    9. Chicago
    10. New Jersey

Mars Blackmon Lives!

Phoenix - Amare's back, replaced Thomas w/ Jones, and everybody else has a full season in the system.
    Dallas - Young guys get better. Old guys not too old.
    San Antonio - Not too worried about Duncan's foot after WCFinals.
    Miami - Ought to have improved chemistry, but age is a factor.
    Detroit - Offensive improvement ought to soften defensive slide post-Ben.
    Houston - If the back-gods are good to TMac.
    Cleveland - The Nets didn't get the big they needed. The Cavs should be better with a healthy Hughes.
    Nets - Run JRV
    Clips - Unless Cassell ages significantly over the summer.
    Bulls - Young cats get better. Old guys need to do what they do.

If TMac's back-gods continue to curse him, slide everybody below the Rockets up a notch and add Denver to the end mostly on account of Melo getting better.